The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

6 minutes ago, awalk said:

Curious about this. In what way are you celebrating our ancestors that leads to others calling you a bigot? Genuinely curious because this has not been my experience, but I see these types of comments from others.

White anglo saxon men between 20 and 40 need not apply, you know this has been done by the government and their agencies three times in my association, WCB, RCMP in Alberta and a defence contract in Victoria. Disregarding best qualified for political reasons. As it so happens I do have some First Nations blood but look totally anglo saxon and have been subject to reverse discrimination by political correctness. If I said anything it was not heard but let me be something else and the outcry.

We get further and further away from our roots as we try to incorporate multiculturalism into a mainstream. Nothing that is done will change the roots of this country but there more and more statues and other historic but politically incorrect personages being torn down or eliminated from the history books.

Will they change the name of Vancouver because he had a bed warmer, was a bigot and took advantage of the locals, is the name British to be eliminated from this provinces name? How many changes will be necessary before a white person can say this is wrong without being painted a white supremacist or bigot? You know there were white people that did good things too in history. But history is filled with one ethnic group dominating another and in Canada we seem to be trying to apologize for them all.

If I made a statement of "Welcome to Canada, a land of tolerance, leave all your past struggles and injustices behind and embrace our values and diversification , you are now in a new country without war, become Canadian" well that is now being bigoted because the request is that they follow our values.

This is a conversation that no anglo saxon can win because it is politically  incorrect to mention that this happens. I dare not even use the word "white" for being tagged a member of the KKK.

• Upvote 2

Just now, awalk said:

Not every single person bothered by what he said is an SJW "loser" 

Anyway just trying to lighten the mood. This whole thing is now beaten to death. 

Who put the pressure on to get him fired because of imaginary racism, fascism, xenophobia, white supremacy? The SJW losers. Look no further than Twitter.

I'm not speaking to anyone on these forums. Most on here are just indifferent, maybe didn't like Cherry, so they don't care.

My ranting is based on the ridiculousness of cancel culture, that has become a common theme for years now.

I've followed most quite closely and that's why I'm choked that it's happening to Don Cherry.

He has done incredible amounts of work for the Vets and the Hockey Community, but a misunderstood segment gets him fired? Pathetic.

No one should be apologizing for any of this, that's my stance. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tystick said:

You really think this going to be wrapped up?

Many people are not happy about this.

maybe, if Don is sincere. 

btw, you're not helping your cause with all the 'loser' talk. People can have a legitimate pov on this thats different from yours. 

• Cheers 4

Don's explanation is good enough for me.  Just wish he'd done it sooner.  I'd prefer to see him rehired for the remainder of the season, but I can understand why that probably won't happen.

He'd still be in my top five for hockey people I'd want to have a beer with.  Hopefully he's able to find a new platform, because he's still very entertaining when he sticks to hockey.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe, if Don is sincere. 

btw, you're not helping your cause with all the 'loser' talk. People can have a legitimate pov on this thats different from yours. 

When I say "outrage losers" or "SJW's", I assume everyone understands who those people are.

It's a loud minority of idiots that get professionally offended over everything.

Haven't met any on these forums, thank God.

Edited by Tystick
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Who put the pressure on to get him fired because of imaginary racism, fascism, xenophobia, white supremacy? The SJW losers. Look no further than Twitter.

I'm not speaking to anyone on these forums. Most on here are just indifferent, maybe didn't like Cherry, so they don't care.

My ranting is based on the ridiculousness of cancel culture, that has become a common theme for years now.

I've followed most quite closely and that's why I'm choked that it's happening to Don Cherry.

He has done incredible amounts of work for the Vets and the Hockey Community, but a misunderstood segment gets him fired? Pathetic.

No one should be apologizing for any of this, that's my stance. 

Solid summary. Good job. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

When I say "outrage losers" or "SJW's", I assume everyone understands who those people are.

It's a loud minority of idiots that get professionally offended over everything.

Haven't met any on these forums, thank God.

OK thats good.

I'm a big believer in giving people a chance to make things right. Don should have come out with this Sunday morning. I think most Canadians are fair-minded, and if he's really sincere I think he can set things on the right path again. 

So we'll see. I did think it was funny that he was expecting MacLean to correct him. I guess thats probably the nature of that relationship. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK thats good.

I'm a big believer in giving people a chance to make things right. Don should have come out with this Sunday morning. I think most Canadians are fair-minded, and if he's really sincere I think he can set things on the right path again. 

So we'll see. I did think it was funny that he was expecting MacLean to correct him. I guess thats probably the nature of that relationship. 

They're almost like a married couple lol

I agree, I sure hope the situation resolves for the better.

Edited by Tystick
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

White anglo saxon men between 20 and 40 need not apply, you know this has been done by the government and their agencies three times in my association, WCB, RCMP in Alberta and a defence contract in Victoria. Disregarding best qualified for political reasons. As it so happens I do have some First Nations blood but look totally anglo saxon and have been subject to reverse discrimination by political correctness. If I said anything it was not heard but let me be something else and the outcry.

We get further and further away from our roots as we try to incorporate multiculturalism into a mainstream. Nothing that is done will change the roots of this country but there more and more statues and other historic but politically incorrect personages being torn down or eliminated from the history books.

Will they change the name of Vancouver because he had a bed warmer, was a bigot and took advantage of the locals, is the name British to be eliminated from this provinces name? How many changes will be necessary before a white person can say this is wrong without being painted a white supremacist or bigot? You know there were white people that did good things too in history. But history is filled with one ethnic group dominating another and in Canada we seem to be trying to apologize for them all.

If I made a statement of "Welcome to Canada, a land of tolerance, leave all your past struggles and injustices behind and embrace our values and diversification , you are now in a new country without war, become Canadian" well that is now being bigoted because the request is that they follow our values.

This is a conversation that no anglo saxon can win because it is politically  incorrect to mention that this happens. I dare not even use the word "white" for being tagged a member of the KKK.

Wrong? Since when is trying to put everyone on a level playing field going to be wrong? The problem is the world is no longer catering to whites and white people are having an identity crisis over it.

White people were behind the Chinese Head Tax, the Komagata Maru fiasco and Residential Schools. We can't ignore the fact that racial injustice for several hundred years has almost exclusively been done by whites throughout the world.

• Like 1

Ya not bad idea. We've all enjoyed him on tv .. decades in my case.. 

Let the old guy sail off into the sunset on good terms.

I found his remarks ignorant but I don't know i want him fired over it. He's 85 he's gonna say what he thinks. Not going to change his mindset in his 80s when he didn't in his 50s or 60s

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Wrong? Since when is trying to put everyone on a level playing field going to be wrong? The problem is the world is no longer catering to whites and white people are having an identity crisis over it.

White people were behind the Chinese Head Tax, the Komagata Maru fiasco and Residential Schools. We can't ignore the fact that racial injustice for several hundred years has almost exclusively been done by whites throughout the world.

Well, now you gone and done it. Expect someone to supply you with a summary of every instance of racial injustice not involving white people shortly.

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think anyone would argue this. Its how Cherry chose to deliver the message and who he decided to target it to. And not wanting to change it one iota after. 

There are posters here saying it’s “their freedom” to not wear a poppy.

im saying that is disrespectful.

if any of those posters can say that to a ww2 vet at a ceremony face to face I’d like to see it, (actually no I wouldn’t but you get what I mean here)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Who is arguing against this. 

My grandfather was an immigrant wears the poppy since I can remember. goes to the Legion with a hand full of friends every November.

Cherry was putting all immigrants into one category as if  people from a 100 + countries whos are not white and have immigrated here all think alike don't wear them and white people all wear poppies. 

Many white ppl don't and many ethnic minorities don't.. I buy several every year because often you lose it after a couple of days they fall out so easily..

I usually stick it in my car visor after November 11th... and it stays there untill the following year. I had one in my work vehicle that lasted 2 yrs.. naturally I saw it almost everytime I got into my vehicle and remembered why it was there...

For cherry to go on national TV and claim I don't support the fallen basing it on my skin color is incorrect and uninformed..

See my other responses.  None of this is my point.  There are those saying it is their freedom to choose to not wear a poppy.  I’m saying that is disrespectful to those who gave of themselves for that right to exist.  While it is an individual’s “freedom” to make that decision I feel it is disrespectful.  

ive said over this whole thread that Cherry was wrong with his word choice.

Edited by riffraff
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK thats good.

This would have been great especially if Don backpedalled and came around right then and there.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, riffraff said:

There are posters here saying it’s “their freedom” to not wear a poppy.

im saying that is disrespectful.

if any of those posters can say that to a ww2 vet at a ceremony face to face I’d like to see it, (actually no I wouldn’t but you get what I mean here)

For me, its hard to understand why you wouldnt wear one, I can't remember not wearing one. But I have to respect people's rights.

At this point I hope HNIC gives Don the chance to state his apology, and then maybe they can wrap up his time there with a nice retrospective of his high points later in the year, let some current and former players say nice things, etc etc.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Yeah, because the Irish, Italians, Portuguese, and Jewish folks were never treated horribly when they arrived from across the pond......Please.

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, Unknown1995 said:

Don cherry interview today on CityTv

Man I feel really bad for Don. Not that he needs the job but they shortened his segment and rushed him ever since disgusting Roger's took over. 

He's right... He has 7 minutes only, cut him some slack. 

Also saw this on insta... Thought worth sharing. 

Edited by apollo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1