The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Barrie on the move?

70seven

On 11/22/2019 at 2:58 PM, WHL rocks said:

Benning tried to trade for him last summer draft.. word is Virtanen was the offer.

Sakic took Kadri which was a great move by him.

I have a good feeling Benning covets Barrie a lot. He'll do what's necessary to bring him here..

Well, from what i got when Barrie was interviewed on 1040, he wants to come here too.

• Cheers 3

On 11/22/2019 at 2:58 PM, WHL rocks said:

Benning tried to trade for him last summer draft.. word is Virtanen was the offer.

Sakic took Kadri which was a great move by him.

I have a good feeling Benning covets Barrie a lot. He'll do what's necessary to bring him here..

I’m thinking that a potential return to the team by Tryamkin is the primary objective for Benning at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’m thinking that a potential return to the team by Tryamkin is the primary objective for Benning at this point. 

I don't think either has much to do with the other.  Tryamkin and Benn can both play both sides so it wouldn't be like we would have to have guys on their off sides.  I think it is more likely we will only sign one of Stecher or Tanev in the offseason if Tryamkin comes back.  Barrie's price tag might be too high cap-wise.  If we are confident we can get him then Stecher as an RFA is a decent trade chip, or you let Tanev walk and go try to find a big last contract.

Edler-Barrie
Hughes-Myers
Benn-Tryamkin
Stecher

Three small guys, but plenty of size overall. Benn and Stecher can swap in an out if we were ever lucky enough to be actually healthy on the back end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 8:46 AM, cuporbust said:

Well, from what i got when Barrie was interviewed on 1040, he wants to come here too.

Well, to be fair, if it's on our local radio station, it would make sense for him to tell us local people he wants to come here just like he might any other local radio station of other teams.

I'm not saying it's not true. I'm just saying people do tend to like to appease audiences. I'm sure he'd like to come here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he'd like quite a few teams.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

On 11/24/2019 at 8:46 AM, cuporbust said:

Barrie can come here as long as he wants a 3 year, 6 million contract. If he wants 10 million, he can very well go sign with the Leafs. We already have Hughes who is better than him.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 4:15 PM, The Lock said:

Well, to be fair, if it's on our local radio station, it would make sense for him to tell us local people he wants to come here just like he might any other local radio station of other teams.

I'm not saying it's not true. I'm just saying people do tend to like to appease audiences. I'm sure he'd like to come here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he'd like quite a few teams.

He sounded like he slipped up to be honest.  Wasnt an appeasing comment . This was before he even played a game for the leafs . Basically said he was expecting to come here, and was shocked when it turned out to be Toronto.  He and his family is from here , so not suprising he would want to play here . I used to attend his grandfather's ( and fathers) hockey school in kelowna for years. His family loves BC

The Canucks are at the stage where players like Barrie are no longer a necessity to make the team capable of being competitive. In the past, a puck-moving defenseman of Barrie's capability would be an attractive piece for a GM to add, but seeing as how the Canucks could very well already have (preemptively) one of the best up and coming, puck-moving defenseman in the league in Quinn Hughes, taking a shot at Barrie no longer seems necessary.

Holy run on sentence, Batman!

• Cheers 2

On 11/17/2019 at 12:22 PM, Alflives said:

True, but Barrie is a proven 50 plus point PP guy.  Couldn’t he play with Benn 5 on 5, and be on PP two for Edler?  That could lower 

eddie’s minutes too.  I really like Stecher’s effort though, and Barrie is only a rental.  

Perhaps just like Makar, he was sheltered and supported by Colorados' playmakers.  I agree both Makar and Barrie are good offensive defenceman but playing with such players will obviously have a positive effect on the stat sheet.  At this point, I would rather keep Stecher.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

On 12/5/2019 at 8:21 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks are at the stage where players like Barrie are no longer a necessity to make the team capable of being competitive. In the past, a puck-moving defenseman of Barrie's capability would be an attractive piece for a GM to add, but seeing as how the Canucks could very well already have (preemptively) one of the best up and coming, puck-moving defenseman in the league in Quinn Hughes, taking a shot at Barrie no longer seems necessary.

Holy run on sentence, Batman!

We also likely have Rathbone coming in the next year or so too. While he's not likely to be at Hughes or Barrie's level, he's showing to be no slouch either thus far in his development.

Not sure I see the need for adding Barrie as well anymore. Particularly if Juolevi ever gets/stays healthy, as he's also pretty talented at secondary offense/moving the puck. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We also likely have Rathbone coming in the next year or so too. While he's not likely to be at Hughes or Barrie's level, he's showing to be no slouch either thus far in his development.

Not sure I see the need for adding Barrie as well anymore. Particularly if Juolevi ever gets/stays healthy, as he's also pretty talented at secondary offense/moving the puck. 

Yep, Barrie at this point is more of a luxury not really a necessity. I think Canucks need more of a two way defenseman with great defensive abilities. Hopefully Tryamkin can come here to add size. Canucks just need to add defensive depth at trade deadline if they are making the playoffs because we lost Biega and we need an NHL defenseman aside from Fantenberg. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Yep, Barrie at this point is more of a luxury not really a necessity. I think Canucks need more of a two way defenseman with great defensive abilities. Hopefully Tryamkin can come here to add size. Canucks just need to add defensive depth at trade deadline if they are making the playoffs because we lost Biega and we need an NHL defenseman aside from Fantenberg. 

I think we're getting to the point that Sautner, Brisebois, Rafferty, Chatfield and Juolevi (if he can stay healthy) are all NHL capable enough recall options for our D depth.

And towards the end of the season we might be able to add Tryamkin and Rathbone to that list as well. Shortly followed by Woo and possibly a guy like Utunen as well.

Myers 29

edler33

tanev 29

benn32

Add 

Berrie 28 

Looks like a old group that’ll most likely be prone to injury. 

stecher25

hughes 20

rather just move out some of the old guys to make room for young guys. He’s not a Player for  a lottery bound team with fingers crossed for last wildcard spot. 

Younger faster that’s the new nhl. 30 is the new 40. There’s exceptions but berrie isn’t one of them 

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Wat 2