The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former player accuses Flames head coach Bill Peters of using racial slur -- Peters resigns

Rate this topic

Peters should have been fired when it happened not 10 years after, I don’t like the player waiting for this long to go public about this. If it really was as bad as described then ask for a trade at that time and state the reason why. 

I’m not surprised by this outcome but I think it’s going to be bad for professional hockey, what happens in the locker room is supposed to stay there. Now we got Carcillo talking about Sutter, Bobcocks dick move with Marner coming out etc. Lots goes on in the room and a lot is said, but the players better be careful what they wish for because a lot of them could have their careers destroyed to for something they may have said or done. 

Edited by KelownaCanucksFan
  • Upvote 2

I think it is sad that a career has ended from what someone said 10 years ago, he admitted he said it and apologized, but that was not good enough .   this is all about money, Akim will definitely, sue over a word that shouldn't have been said. so what is the nhl going to do about Crawford, Tortorella, the Sutters  etc. is this the end of the NHL?  I agree that Peters stepping down was the right thing to do. but really I wonder if that is the only time that Akim has been called names in his life.  this is my opinion!   

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

That’s the whole point.......

I guess for me tho if a person is in 'the right' should they stay silent or use whats available? I don't have any idea if Carcillo is telling the whole truth or not, but I do know Crow can sue his ass into oblivion if he's lying. Its not great but its all we have. Its that, or people are forced to stay silent, which is a big part of what got us here today discussing Peters. I'm sure he expected the hockey code or simply being in a powerful position he'd never hear about this ever again. But those days are over, I don't know how we put the social media genie back in the bottle now, for better or worse. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yet society has become so flaccid and obedient that they cowtow to any and all outrage spewed by these whiners. They react to the outrage by canceling TV shows, firing actors, refusing to play music on their stations without any substantive proof. Funny thing is that these major corporations cancel out of fear that their ratings or subscriptions will drop, and not out of any actual moral obligation.

Thank goodness, there are people like Brad Treviling who didn't submit to the cacophony, instead insisting on hearing all of the facts, and making an informed decision. That, in and of itself, is the only way.

I think that will come to an end eventually. Social media is so new that we're all still figuring out how to deal with it. 

I do like how BT handled this tho, it was ballsy to take a few days and make sure it got done right. I also think it was the right thing to do to allow Peters to resign. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I think that will come to an end eventually. Social media is so new that we're all still figuring out how to deal with it. 

It is new, but it's also so absolutely ingrained into society in a way that I've never seen in my time on this spacerock. The amount of time people spend on social media sites is staggering. How they communicate, how they learn, how they entertain themselves is all centered around their goddamn phones. It's chipping away at actual human interaction

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I do like how BT handled this tho, it was ballsy to take a few days and make sure it got done right. I also think it was the right thing to do to allow Peters to resign. 

The fact that doing ones due diligence and being responsible when making a decision is considered ballsy these days is an indictment of the times we live in.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The "abuse" angle is another thing that's kind of getting buried here....

....the stories about his actions in Carolina, (backed up by Brind'amour) suggest a pattern of behavior and racial slur directed at Aliu is only part of the problem.

Peters is a dinosaur in all facets of the game and there really is no place left in hockey (or any other sport, for that matter) for people who treat their players with that much disrespect.

....or Radulov. Remember him slashing his own coach on the bench back in Russia?

Did you ever play for Dempsey? He seems like he woulda been an Idiot to play for? 

43 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It is new, but it's also so absolutely ingrained into society in a way that I've never seen in my time on this spacerock. The amount of time people spend on social media sites is staggering. How they communicate, how they learn, how they entertain themselves is all centered around their goddamn phones. It's chipping away at actual human interaction

The fact that doing ones due diligence and being responsible when making a decision is considered ballsy these days is an indictment of the times we live in.

all true, Phil. I have hope it will find a reasonable middle at some point. We did stop burning witches at some point. 

I didn't really see any commentary this time that the Flames were doing anything wrong by waiting and performing due diligence for a few days - did you? maybe thats a sign people are willing to wait a bit for actual evidence now?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I thought maybe when you played for the spruce kings that he was coaching...ED Dempsey.

Nope. I think that was after my time.

I was only on the squad for a couple of months. I was offered a pretty good paying job as an apprentice, but it wouldn't allow me to travel on weekends, so I left the team. The coach at the time, was the same coach I'd had in Midget, when we went to the National Championship (called the Wrigley tournament back then) His name was Paul Mignault.

I wouldn't say he was hard to play for, but he was strict (we used to get fined for being late and other "misdemeanors" like that) and he had a temper. He was a little guy, but we all stayed away when he was pissed off.

1 hour ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Peters should have been fired when it happened not 10 years after, I don’t like the player waiting for this long to go public about this. If it really was as bad as described then ask for a trade at that time and state the reason why. 

I’m not surprised by this outcome but I think it’s going to be bad for professional hockey, what happens in the locker room is supposed to stay there. Now we got Carcillo talking about Sutter, Bobcocks dick move with Marner coming out etc. Lots goes on in the room and a lot is said, but the players better be careful what they wish for because a lot of them could have their careers destroyed to for something they may have said or done. 

AHLers don't have a lot of leverage when asking for a trade.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

all true, Phil. I have hope it will find a reasonable middle at some point. We did stop burning witches at some point. 

Not holding my breath.

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I didn't really see any commentary this time that the Flames were doing anything wrong by waiting and performing due diligence for a few days - did you? maybe thats a sign people are willing to wait a bit for actual evidence now?

Any sensible person would realize that Treviling's methods were the right way to go. I'm hearing from some that there is commentary out there criticizing the Flames for dragging their heels. The comment I made though has more to do with you saying that it was a ballsy move for Trevling to do a proper investigation, which I would think (and correct me if I'm wrong) is you stating that he made what would be considered by many to be an unpopular decision these days.

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not holding my breath.

Any sensible person would realize that Treviling's methods were the right way to go. I'm hearing from some that there is commentary out there criticizing the Flames for dragging their heels. The comment I made though has more to do with you saying that it was a ballsy move for Trevling to do a proper investigation, which I would think (and correct me if I'm wrong) is you stating that he made what would be considered by many to be an unpopular decision these days.

no that was my point, I think its a very small but very vocal group that would be criticizing him, but I like that he did it the right way anyway. In the end, most people can see it was the right move and the vocal minority gets squat. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess for me tho if a person is in 'the right' should they stay silent or use whats available? I don't have any idea if Carcillo is telling the whole truth or not, but I do know Crow can sue his ass into oblivion if he's lying. Its not great but its all we have. Its that, or people are forced to stay silent, which is a big part of what got us here today discussing Peters. I'm sure he expected the hockey code or simply being in a powerful position he'd never hear about this ever again. But those days are over, I don't know how we put the social media genie back in the bottle now, for better or worse. 

It just seems like it’s a court of public/social media opinion fueled by emotion.  Really the damage can be done before it even gets to the courts.  Say peters was innocent entirely.  By the time his name is cleared by due process in court, his family life has been compromised, his career at the very least would be suspended and there would always be a large group of people that would never accept the judicial proof of innocence.

if social media is all we have to “keep people in line” society is in trouble.

imo there is no chance that social media and its users will somehow right the ship for a future improvement.  I see social media as a great modern plague of dehumanization.  Real, tangible relationships are destined to be obsolete.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no that was my point, I think its a very small but very vocal group that would be criticizing him, but I like that he did it the right way anyway. In the end, most people can see it was the right move and the vocal minority gets squat. 

I don't think it's that small anymore. Maybe in this instance, in particular, maybe, but really, those willing to cast the first digital stone are growing in number, not receding.

Take this forum, for example, now that the verdict is in, and decisions have been made, the amount of posters milling about in here has seriously decreased, leaving just a few of us to have a balanced and civil discussion on some of the more overarching issues brought up by this event. The majority calling for Peters' head before a single strand of evidence or corroborating statements from teammates surfaced have left. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1