The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Florida Panthers | Jan. 09, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, pack mentality is good, but where's the teeth to back up any kind of snarl?

Someone leans on Pettersson, so who pushes back with any umph and threat? Boeser? Miller? And even if they did, do you want them sitting in the box, which would almost be as good as taking out Pettersson? What about defense? Who is normally on when Pettersson is on? The defense in that game provided a certain amount of physicality during game play, but after the whistle there was perhaps Benn(?) and how often does he play with Pettersson?

Certainly one can suggest that guys like Gaudette(?), Beagle, Schaller and Roussel should provide some push-back, but they (usually) aren't going to be on the ice with Pettersson for any sort of immediate retaliation, and any other time there's the risk of instigator penalties. 

Arguably the team is missing Ferlund (or a player of that sort), who can skate, play hockey and provide a physical presence.

regards,  G.

You're right.

It's both sad but also encouraging to me to see that Petey doesn't wait for someone to jump in for him...he plays with a feistiness and once he does develop a bit more and gets stronger on his skates he'll be a bit of a force.   Not sure if anyone caught it (I only had radio and they commented on it) - but Petey went at Matheson at one point and gave him a good whack...on the hand?  Skated away shaking it.  Generally I wouldn't like that but, considering the history, I loved it.

It's attitude more so than personnel.  Not that we "have" guys who can go in and fight but, more, a matter of playing with an edge rather than passively.  I saw glimpses of it and felt encouraged...in scrums, rather than skating away, they were standing chin to chin.  Just an attitude that says "you don't scare me" more than brute force that can take them down.  Although that would be nice.

I don't know that Ferland will ever be able to resume where he's left off...it's getting to the point of being scary for him.  Sadly.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Law of Goalies said:

Thanks..haha..But I mean Miller usually seems more calm so kind of surprised he got a penalty.

he seems the most frustrated to me.

He sneers a lot, and often throws his head back on his way back to the bench

I 'd like to see more sneering

• Upvote 1

Yup this is a youngish team. They seem to get on a roll and then tailspin Into a funk.For me it boils down to their defensive play as a 5 man unit.I feel we have the offensive firepower but we need to correct our awful defensive play.Is this on the coaching or players?Probably both.Either way this needs to be addressed by the organization moving forward or we can kiss the playoffs goodbye.Maybe the guys are looking too far ahead to the all star break I dunno.Fustrating last two games that’s for sure.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I couldn't care less that they had a great practice after the most embarrassing showing of any team in the 2019-2020 season. They clearly were not ready for this game and didn't put anywhere close to the effort needed. They have been a complete joke the last 2 games. Especially Myers and Tanev. 

kind of makes you wonder, what is the criteria for a "great practice"?

47 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm hearing Twilight Zone music....both bolding at the same time with basically the same thoughts.  This place is starting to scare me ("you know you're on CDC too much when....other people can post your thoughts for you").

Cheers LL

It is not just you two thinking that thought lol.

:lol:

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Well, pack mentality is good, but where's the teeth to back up any kind of snarl?

Someone leans on Pettersson, so who pushes back with any umph and threat? Boeser? Miller? And even if they did, do you want them sitting in the box, which would almost be as good as taking out Pettersson? What about defense? Who is normally on when Pettersson is on? The defense in that game provided a certain amount of physicality during game play, but after the whistle there was perhaps Benn(?) and how often does he play with Pettersson?

Certainly one can suggest that guys like Gaudette(?), Beagle, Schaller and Roussel should provide some push-back, but they (usually) aren't going to be on the ice with Pettersson for any sort of immediate retaliation, and any other time there's the risk of instigator penalties. 

Arguably the team is missing Ferlund (or a player of that sort), who can skate, play hockey and provide a physical presence.

regards,  G.

Your right we don't have really any teeth but there's another way to send a message, you touch petey or Quinn then rooster Guad and Jake should crush which ever star player their up against every time they  touch the puck.  

I hate to say it like this but.....play like burr, abunch a holes , Jake can send a message with one big hit , also we can draw penalties, I still think adding a enforcer would help even a bottom pair D man that can throw them. 

Also the coach has to coach that style by giving guys freedom to making  big hits instead of always playing it safe....

we are a soft 200ft team never thought I would put soft and 200ft together but here we are...

Jim has brought in pests but there not acting as such and to me that's coaching. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Well they were a true expansion club those early years (unlike the gifts the Vegas Knights got).  

But my point was that NHL GMs rarely get to hire and fire multiple coaches without some kind of on ice success (not talking about Cup wins obviously).  Poile fired multiple head coaches AFTER they were routinely making the playoffs.  At some point though, the heat will eventually hit him

I don't think yyou have followed the Preds

They just hired their 3rd coach ever

they may not have cups , but they are the model of stabilty

and building from the goal out

unfortunately they have never built the forward group

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Honestly even if they won I couldn't watch a game I already know the results of.  Maybe skim to the goals/fights but no way I could sit there for 2-3 hours and watch it in it's entirety.  

that is the beauty of pvr

you can watch a game in 1hour and 15 mins

its always better when you don't know the score

I sometimes suddenly plug my ears and sing to my GF when the sports comes on in the morning

3 hours ago, bree2 said:

two losses and the team is a disaster? you really shouldn't be watching hockey if you feel that way. every team in the nhl wins and loses. it is a real fan who realizes that

give the guy some credit, he has been harping on the coaches win or lose

5 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

No Canuck GM has ever missed the playoffs 5 straight years so why is Benning ok and Green is getting all the blame?  Team is not digressing under Green, it's the best the team has been since he was hired.  

Really? Look at the points each year. We are trending to exactly the same non playoff record 3 years straight 

look at the stronger roster over the same 3 years 

where is the improvement?

in 3 more games the Green love affair will end, Mark my words 

• Wat 1

56 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

regards,  G.

We had Gudbranson, but he was ran out of town. Lucic was unwanted by most here, even at the expense of tough guy Loui. People want truculence with skill to boot. Rare combination and it's going to cost you.

I was hoping we could get Zack Smith in a cap dump deal in the offseason, but that has passed. I wonder what the price would be to get someone like Kyle Clifford from LA.

With that said, Petey's line is what it is. Miller has to be the tough guy on that line. Gone are the days of plugging a Semenko with Gretzky. Hopefully if/when Tryamkin comes back, it adds some toughness with size from the defense. He's no goon, but he would be an intimidating presence.

5 hours ago, Devron44 said:

You’re so lost 

Do you honestly think this team will make the playoffs?

what will you be saying when we are on the sidelines for the third straight year under Green 

will you be ok with that? 

you will still be drinking the Kool Aid? 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he did recover well, which is a great sign for a rookie goalie. But the team needed a brick wall performance in the 1st to regain some confidence. 

But onward and upward, I don't think the season ended in Florida. 

not even a brick wall, but he really needed a save to rally the troops

saving the 3rd goal would have helped

the team although not playing great before, folded their tent after the 3rd goal

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

What are you even talking about?   If you can't see the improvements then I don't know what your watching.   And if you think it's not going to take some time to get back to relevance again then your not paying much attention to what's happening in Detroit right now, another former good team that's doing their time now, or what teams like ARI and CAR went through (parts of two cores to get back).   

If you haven't noticed this "crap" team your watching is on pace to  pass the most offense any Sedin team ever managed,  this year - sure they might not make it but definitely an improvement over the 180 ish goals we were scoring before BB arrived.   Defense hasn't improved at the same rate but if it had we'd be planning a parade right now instead of whining after a couple bad losses.

Take a breather - go for a walk ranting on here about coaching and defensive systems might or might not be relevant - we don't know for sure.   It's pretty well known Q Hughes is a rookie and we can't expect him to carry the Ds lunch every game - Edler and Myers are both prone to gaffs - still better then no Edler and cement shoes Gudbranson (how many minutes is he playing again?).    JB fixed our forward group - it's pretty obvious our D has a ways to go yet.   Maybe we should be trading Horvat or BB for a young D stud, I don't know - just thank god we do have QH, and no 19 year old defenseman ever peaked coming into the league - in fact most take years to develop.  He's ahead of EK, D Doughty, B Burns, S Weber, AP, J Carlson, Subban and a whole bunch of other guys as far as first years go , and all these guys took two or three to make a mark - at least.

No improvements indeed.

No improvements needed?

all good?

seriously?

this roster is capable of winning but we play with no system, no discipline and no purpose 

that’s 100 percent on Green and his incompetence 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bree2 said:

two losses and the team is a disaster? you really shouldn't be watching hockey if you feel that way. every team in the nhl wins and loses. it is a real fan who realizes that

We are not in a playoff position 

forget about these 2 games, we are not in a playoff position ..  again 

you are good with that 

I don’t understand how so many people on here have accepted losing and just settle for playing for “fun” 

• Wat 1