The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

@ShawnAntoski @Pete M  

To be fair, Sedins played in a really tough era to score.  Just as a little sidenote, Jarome Iginla won the scoring title in 2001-02 by getting 96 points, and the runner up was our very own Markus Naslund with 90 points.  

If you look at last year, Kucherov won it with 128 and McDavid was second with 116 points.  Iginla would've finished tied for 10th.  

yeah, I remember the clutch and grab style that got the flames to the Finals in 2004, good point. The NHL brought in rule changes in 2005 where interference (holding and grabbing) on dump ins were not allowed. Back then, a defenceman could almost tackle a forechecker. Also, Grapes was talking about the dmen are going to get killed if their partner could not hold up the forechecker...it was a very good rule change.

22 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

@ShawnAntoski @Pete M  

To be fair, Sedins played in a really tough era to score.  Just as a little sidenote, Jarome Iginla won the scoring title in 2001-02 by getting 96 points, and the runner up was our very own Markus Naslund with 90 points.  

If you look at last year, Kucherov won it with 128 and McDavid was second with 116 points.  Iginla would've finished tied for 10th.  

Perfect example, of the magnitude of responsibility, the decision makers have on the game and good on them for making adjustments cause the on ice product was getting stale.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

51 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Ditto: noticed the difference in zone entry.  Pro sports is all about adjustments and it seems the staff has learned and is continue to evolve as well (good to know moving forward cause the games are going to get tougher).

Actually, I think they have upped their dump and chase entries over the last cpl weeks.  Their energy level and tenacity is way up and if your forecheck is on, it's a far, far more effective style to play.  I'd say last night was one of their best defensive efforts (obviously) and dump and chase is a huge part of that.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm really enjoying the Lazarus Line.

If this can continue its an edge no one expected, and Jim doesn't have to overpay with futures for a TDL rental. 

I think JB has positioned himself to be a moderate seller at the deadline (if players get healthy before that) while still maintaining some depth at all positions.

Edited by stawns

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Actually, I think they have upped their dump and chase entries over the last cpl weeks.  Their energy level and tenacity is way up and if your forecheck is on, it's a far, far more effective style to play.  I'd say last night was one of their best defensive efforts (obviously) and dump and chase is a huge part of that.  

Good points and (in my opinion) it seems to vary with the opponents but last night they were also playing like they knew a long break was coming.  At the same time, they also set the tone early and reminded the Sharks that there is a new top fish in the Pacific - great statement game.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, How swede it is said:

Bobby Orr would have been 3rd on this list with 41 pts.

Fair point although I would point out that Orr had the rookie scoring record at that time and he did it in only 61 games.

Let me put this another way when looking at Dunn being 4th on our list. From the 1974/75 season through the 2018/19 season (more than 40 seasons) the Canucks did not have a single rookie d-man get over 30 points. Lumme (played most of his season with Montreal) and Bubla both had 30 points in their rookie season. Bubla was a 31 year old rookie and neither player had been drafted or developed by the Canucks but I will count them anyway.

So, let's look at other franchises over that 40+ year time frame for comparison purposes.

1. Los Angeles ........Larry Murphy - 76 points

2. New York Rangers......Brian Leetch - 71 points

3. Calgary.......Gary Suter - 68 points

4. Buffalo.........Phil Housley - 66 points

5.. Boston........Ray Bourque - 65 points

6. Montreal......Chris Chelios - 64 points

7. Colorado/New Jersey......Barry Beck - 60 points

8. Detroit.........Reed Larson  - 60points

9. New York Islanders.......Stefan Persson - 56 points

10. St. Louis.......................Brian Benning - 49 points

11. Philadelphia..................Behn Wilson - 49 points

12. Atlanta/Calgary............Dion Phaneuf - 49 points

13. Minnesota/Dallas........Brad Maxwell - 47 points

14. Columbus...................Zach Werenski - 47 points

15. Pittsburgh...................Zarley Zalapski - 45 points

16. Winnipeg/Arizona........Dave Babych - 44 points

17. San Jose.....................Matt Carle - 42 points

18. Chicago.....................Doug Crossman - 40 points

19. Anaheim...................Cam Fowler - 40 points

20. Tampa Bay.................Mikhail Sergachev - 40 points

21. Florida......................Aaron Ekblad - 39 points

22. Ottawa.......................Andre Mezaros - 39 points

23. Atlanta/Winnipeg.........Toby Enstrom - 38 points

24. Washington...............Greg Theberge - 37 points

25. Quebec/Colorado......Bruce Bell - 37 points

26. Toronto......................Nikita Zaitsev - 36 points

27. Edmonton.................Risto Siltanen - 35 points

28. Hartford/Carolina.......Brad Shaw - 35 points

29. Vancouver.................Jyrki Lumme - 30 points.

I would also point out that many of those teams had multiple d-men above 30 points.  Rangers had 7, Bruins had 5, Islanders had 6, Kings had 5 etc.

Prior to QH I would say we have not done well when it comes to drafting offensive d-men since 1974/75 season

• Cheers 1

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Good points and (in my opinion) it seems to vary with the opponents but last night they were also playing like they knew a long break was coming.  At the same time, they also set the tone early and reminded the Sharks that there is a new top fish in the Pacific - great statement game.

It's situational, 100% agree.  The current lineup is put together to outwork and grind the opposition down, imo.  All 4 lines are skilled, but are put together to forecheck and grind the other teams dmen and all 4 do it well.  

That's the true effect of d&c, imo........forcing the dman to skate hard to retrieve pucks and then wearing them down with forecheck and possession.  If you can do that effectively for two periods, you're going to feast on tired dmen in the third

I have to give Edler and Myers credit for playing good solid hockey the last couple of weeks.  I have always been ready to dump on them for their slow play and lack of aggression.  However, I think Edler really gets going when he can flatten some opposition forward or even take a hard hit.  Looks like they are playing a little more cautious and within their abilities the last couple of weeks.  Keep up the good work boys.

16 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Fair point although I would point out that Orr had the rookie scoring record at that time and he did it in only 61 games.

Let me put this another way when looking at Dunn being 4th on our list. From the 1974/75 season through the 2018/19 season (more than 40 seasons) the Canucks did not have a single rookie d-man get over 30 points. Lumme (played most of his season with Montreal) and Bubla both had 30 points in their rookie season. Bubla was a 31 year old rookie and neither player had been drafted or developed by the Canucks but I will count them anyway.

So, let's look at other franchises over that 40+ year time frame for comparison purposes.

1. Los Angeles ........Larry Murphy - 76 points

2. New York Rangers......Brian Leetch - 71 points

3. Calgary.......Gary Suter - 68 points

4. Buffalo.........Phil Housley - 66 points

5.. Boston........Ray Bourque - 65 points

6. Montreal......Chris Chelios - 64 points

7. Colorado/New Jersey......Barry Beck - 60 points

8. Detroit.........Reed Larson  - 60points

9. New York Islanders.......Stefan Persson - 56 points

10. St. Louis.......................Brian Benning - 49 points

11. Philadelphia..................Behn Wilson - 49 points

12. Atlanta/Calgary............Dion Phaneuf - 49 points

13. Minnesota/Dallas........Brad Maxwell - 47 points

14. Columbus...................Zach Werenski - 47 points

15. Pittsburgh...................Zarley Zalapski - 45 points

16. Winnipeg/Arizona........Dave Babych - 44 points

17. San Jose.....................Matt Carle - 42 points

18. Chicago.....................Doug Crossman - 40 points

19. Anaheim...................Cam Fowler - 40 points

20. Tampa Bay.................Mikhail Sergachev - 40 points

21. Florida......................Aaron Ekblad - 39 points

22. Ottawa.......................Andre Mezaros - 39 points

23. Atlanta/Winnipeg.........Toby Enstrom - 38 points

24. Washington...............Greg Theberge - 37 points

25. Quebec/Colorado......Bruce Bell - 37 points

26. Toronto......................Nikita Zaitsev - 36 points

27. Edmonton.................Risto Siltanen - 35 points

28. Hartford/Carolina.......Brad Shaw - 35 points

29. Vancouver.................Jyrki Lumme - 30 points.

I would also point out that many of those teams had multiple d-men above 30 points.  Rangers had 7, Bruins had 5, Islanders had 6, Kings had 5 etc.

Prior to QH I would say we have not done well when it comes to drafting offensive d-men since 1974/75 season

As a longtime fan, it was quiet aabsurd to realized that despite the long history of the Canucks, that they never had a farm team of there own, until JB came in.  I guess, the previous owners would also have to own alot of the Canucks failures in the drafting and developement department.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

What I've seen (was at the Yotes game as well), the team is making better decisions with the puck...they are not just chipping it in with no pressure, rather it seems the "D" are regrouping more by holding on to the puck and taking it back in the Dzone with possession and setting up the attack to what the other team gives them. They have changed from a 100% dump and chase to actually using the ice that is given to them. 

42 minutes ago, Pete M said:

yeah, I remember the clutch and grab style that got the flames to the Finals in 2004, good point. The NHL brought in rule changes in 2005 where interference (holding and grabbing) on dump ins were not allowed. Back then, a defenceman could almost tackle a forechecker. Also, Grapes was talking about the dmen are going to get killed if their partner could not hold up the forechecker...it was a very good rule change.

The NHL rule changes implemented for the 2005 season are noted below and collectively they certainly were designed to put more offense into the game. I believe the enforcement of existing rules was more responsible for the bolded part, no?

2005-06The NHL adopted a comprehensive package of rule changes that included the following: Goal line moved to 11 feet from end boards; blue lines moved to 75 feet from end boards, reducing neutral zone from 54 feet to 50 feet. Center red line eliminated for two-line passes. "Tag-up" off-side rule reinstituted. Goaltender not permitted to play the puck outside a designated trapezoid-shaped area behind the net. A team that ices the puck is not permitted to make any player substitutions prior to the ensuing faceoff. A player who instigates a fight in the final five minutes of regulation time or at any time of overtime to receive a minor, a major, a misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension. The size of goaltender equipment reduced. If a game remains tied after five minutes of overtime, winner determined by shootout.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think JB has positioned himself to be a moderate seller at the deadline (if players get healthy before that) while still maintaining some depth at all positions.

yeah could be, if he was able to move Baer on a retained salary deal that would be good. Maybe Benn too? 

6 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

As a longtime fan, it was quiet aabsurd to realized that despite the long history of the Canucks, that they never had a farm team of there own, until JB came in. 

I guess, the previous owners would also have to own alot of the Canucks failures in the drafting and developement department.  

Weren't the Moosehead our own farm team and that was prior to JB?

Certainly agree that was a problem over the years though.

6 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Weren't the Moosehead our own farm team and that was prior to JB?

Certainly agree that was a problem over the years though.

They had an agreement with the Moose and the Mooses' main mandate was not to develope/play Canucks prospects.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

42 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Hughes was ridiculously dominant. Karlsson barely had any possession time.

It sounds ridiculous but you really notice puck moving dman in rec league hockey. The puck comes out and to the forwards vs a turn over in front of your net.

This is 100x more important in the show but it's not as obvious.

Edited by Chris12345