The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 18, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Great win, the whole team put great effort.

Limited the Sharks to 15 SOG only, Demko had not much work to do but still made some great saves.

Virtanen success in the first line.

Pearson is awesome.

Sutter, back after the injury, showing he is a leader.

Congrat to Canucks being the 1st in the division.

Happy Lunar New Year !!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Late comments again.

1. The first half of the game made me nervous. It was like the Winnipeg game only more so. The Canucks were the better team (in this case by a big margin) but a combination of a hot goalie, hot goalposts, and bad bounces kept the Canucks off the scoresheet. The Canucks had been completely dominant through the first half, but it was a big relief to see Loui score. I was very impressed by how the team did not let the bad bounces get them down. They were just relentless. Like FijianCanuck says, they seemed to really want this one. Everyone put in a great effort. 

2. Speaking of Loui and of the Horvat line more broadly, I have to repeat what I have written a lot lately. They have been great and Pearson came up big again tonight. They are playing like the best shutdown line in the league right now. Once again they were hard-matched in a shutdown role against the other team's top line. Horvat played over 13 minutes at 5-on-5 against Kane, Beagle and Gaudette each played less than one minute, and Petey played under 3 minutes. And once again the Horvat line won the Corsi battle and obviously won the scoring battle. Loui's contract will still be a big problem as team hits a cap crunch in two years when EP and Hughes have to be re-signed, but right now he has become a very valuable player. And he is obviously feeling a lot better about himself. Although I have been critical of him, one thing I liked is that even when everyone was down on him, he always played responsible defence when he was out there. 

3. There is lot of talk about Virtanen after the game. Obviously he had an excellent game. The weird thing is that if you did not know the history and watched Virtanen and Boeser since they swapped places you would think Virtanen was the better player -- faster, more physical, and getting on the board more. I am not saying he is. I am just saying that is how it would look. Things will change around and Boeser will start putting the puck in the net again. But playing with EP and Miller has been great for Jake. I hope it keeps going. I can't help thinking of the Sedins -- any guy who played with them had a career year. And it might be the same with EP and Miller. 

4. On the subject of EP, he played a very good game again tonight. He make a great pass to Edler that Edler rang off the crossbar and then EP had a great shot that rang off the post. It might be a bit premature to compare him to Henrik (the best player in Canuck history), but at every career stage so far he is well ahead of where Henrik was at the same age. And he just keeps getting better. I was impressed when he made a pretty hard hit about halfway through the game when I expected him to just peel off. He is a much more complete player than Henrik and, like Henrik, makes everyone around him better.

5. Sutter also got a lot of post-game comment. He was the center of the scrum that broke out late in the game. He was quite noticeable in the game, made a couple of hits, and was 3 and 0 in the face-off circle. And he was good on the PK. He is certainly a significant upgrade on Schaller. That said, I would not exaggerate his performance. He was the only Canuck forward with a significantly negative on-ice Corsi tonight and he has not generated much in the way of scoring chances since coming back. Like I said, he is still an upgrade and I am glad he is back, but I hope he continues to improve.   

6. I think the biggest story was Hughes. He dominated the game with his ability to skate with the puck and make great passes. And of course he scored a key goal. He is now 1 pt. behind Olofson and Makar for the rookie scoring lead, and he is a much dominant player than either of those guys more generally. He has to be the Calder favorite right now. The HNIC panel was certainly talking him up as well, which does not hurt. 

7. Usually I comment on whatever significant negatives I see. But tonight there really were no negatives worth commenting on. Demko was very good, nice to see Gaudette get on the board with 2 assists and nice to see Roussel coming around. Myers had a good game, and Edler was a rock. Great way to go into the break -- on a winning streak (8 games in a row at home) and in first place in the Division (admittedly just 1 pt ahead of 4 other teams in what has to be closest Divisional race since the current Divisions were formed), 

8. Players and fans can spend the entire break feeling good about where the Canucks are right now.  And with 3 players in the all-star game that should be fun also. 

thanks!

• Like 1

Man, it is SO satisfying seeing this team dominate the Sharks. Was a little concerned the Canucks might have a point cheated away from them in the 3rd, but then Hughes answered immediately. I am so happy seeing this team get those immediate response goals when the team behind them gets one, it's such a dagger to their hopes. 

This and last game were some of the easiest games I've watched the Canucks play. By that, I mean games that weren't going to have me on the edge of my seat and stressed as heck as the team's under siege. I felt so comfortable watching them, and their defense was solid, it was really nice. I mean, the team held them to 7 shots through 2 periods, and only 10 in the third when they started to press a bit.

Went to the prediction thread to see what I'd said on Loui. He's still a ways off from 8g 18a, but at 5g 3a, he's more than halfway to my goal prediction. As for Miller, I said 50 points, he's going to smash that, he's already at 46. Same for Jake, I had him at 32 points, he's already at 28 and playing with Petey and Millsy, I can only seeing him crushing that as well. It's absolutely amazing to see these guys shatter expectations.

Canucks are playing a complete game right now, just as Travis Green mentioned in the post game. This is the kind of play I felt they could be at earlier in the season when they start to click. I know it's super close but going into the break first in the pacific feels great. Hope they're ready after the break, because they're going against the best in the west when they come back. But for now, I'll just enjoy this.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Dunn has the 99th best rookie scoring record for d-men in NHL history so you are probably correct when you say there are not a glutton of other teams with significantly better numbers. If you look at the 14 teams that have been around for the past 50 years though the Canucks do seem to rank pretty low, albeit not by big numbers

https://records.nhl.com/records/skater-records/scoring-by-a-rookie/most-points-rookie-defenseman-one-season

The fact that we’ve (NHL) hit gold recently with Dahlin Makar Hughes and Heskininen Chabot, I cant remember huge name rookie D coming in year in year out m.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Massive thank you @MattJVD

Can't see after hours on this side of the pond, so really pleased you relaying it.

Please continue to do so if you have time and can be bothered as its often really interesting. Cheers bro +1

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Late comments again.

1. The first half of the game made me nervous. It was like the Winnipeg game only more so. The Canucks were the better team (in this case by a big margin) but a combination of a hot goalie, hot goalposts, and bad bounces kept the Canucks off the scoresheet. The Canucks had been completely dominant through the first half, but it was a big relief to see Loui score. I was very impressed by how the team did not let the bad bounces get them down. They were just relentless. Like FijianCanuck says, they seemed to really want this one. Everyone put in a great effort. 

2. Speaking of Loui and of the Horvat line more broadly, I have to repeat what I have written a lot lately. They have been great and Pearson came up big again tonight. They are playing like the best shutdown line in the league right now. Once again they were hard-matched in a shutdown role against the other team's top line. Horvat played over 13 minutes at 5-on-5 against Kane, Beagle and Gaudette each played less than one minute, and Petey played under 3 minutes. And once again the Horvat line won the Corsi battle and obviously won the scoring battle. Loui's contract will still be a big problem as team hits a cap crunch in two years when EP and Hughes have to be re-signed, but right now he has become a very valuable player. And he is obviously feeling a lot better about himself. Although I have been critical of him, one thing I liked is that even when everyone was down on him, he always played responsible defence when he was out there. 

3. There is lot of talk about Virtanen after the game. Obviously he had an excellent game. The weird thing is that if you did not know the history and watched Virtanen and Boeser since they swapped places you would think Virtanen was the better player -- faster, more physical, and getting on the board more. I am not saying he is. I am just saying that is how it would look. Things will change around and Boeser will start putting the puck in the net again. But playing with EP and Miller has been great for Jake. I hope it keeps going. I can't help thinking of the Sedins -- any guy who played with them had a career year. And it might be the same with EP and Miller. 

4. On the subject of EP, he played a very good game again tonight. He make a great pass to Edler that Edler rang off the crossbar and then EP had a great shot that rang off the post. It might be a bit premature to compare him to Henrik (the best player in Canuck history), but at every career stage so far he is well ahead of where Henrik was at the same age. And he just keeps getting better. I was impressed when he made a pretty hard hit about halfway through the game when I expected him to just peel off. He is a much more complete player than Henrik and, like Henrik, makes everyone around him better.

5. Sutter also got a lot of post-game comment. He was the center of the scrum that broke out late in the game. He was quite noticeable in the game, made a couple of hits, and was 3 and 0 in the face-off circle. And he was good on the PK. He is certainly a significant upgrade on Schaller. That said, I would not exaggerate his performance. He was the only Canuck forward with a significantly negative on-ice Corsi tonight and he has not generated much in the way of scoring chances since coming back. Like I said, he is still an upgrade and I am glad he is back, but I hope he continues to improve.   

6. I think the biggest story was Hughes. He dominated the game with his ability to skate with the puck and make great passes. And of course he scored a key goal. He is now 1 pt. behind Olofson and Makar for the rookie scoring lead, and he is a much dominant player than either of those guys more generally. He has to be the Calder favorite right now. The HNIC panel was certainly talking him up as well, which does not hurt. 

7. Usually I comment on whatever significant negatives I see. But tonight there really were no negatives worth commenting on. Demko was very good, nice to see Gaudette get on the board with 2 assists and nice to see Roussel coming around. Myers had a good game, and Edler was a rock. Great way to go into the break -- on a winning streak (8 games in a row at home) and in first place in the Division (admittedly just 1 pt ahead of 4 other teams in what has to be closest Divisional race since the current Divisions were formed), 

8. Players and fans can spend the entire break feeling good about where the Canucks are right now.  And with 3 players in the all-star game that should be fun also. 

As usual on point... Cheers Jimmy

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crimson-JH said:

I bet Dahlin regretting to be traded to the Sharks/Barracudas now... 

Dahlen was the one we traded to the Sharks. Dahlin prob looking at what Hughes is doing with us right now and think how great would it be if the Canucks won the draft lottery and be that team that drafted him instead.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Dahlen was the one we traded to the Sharks. Dahlin prob looking at what Hughes is doing with us right now and think how great would it be if the Canucks won the draft lottery and be that team that drafted him instead.

Probably does... 

This there's a lot of young players looking towards Canucks amongst others, with slight envy of getting opportunities at a young age on a team heading the right direction...

4 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I don't disagree with most of what you are saying but I am not too sure I can agree with JB being the Canucks' best GM ever. He may turn out to be the best but, at this point, it is difficult for me to give him that crown when the Canucks have yet to win a single playoff round during his tenure. To me, Pat Quinn is still the best the franchise has had.

If Quinn only had someone with Benning's eye for talent. That would have been a formidable mix. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Sutter's was noticable tonight. 

Maybe would of killed Thornton if Burns didn't come in for the rescue.

I like sutter and all but Jumbo would murder Brandon Sutter, Thornton family tree has gorilla's in it only a few generations ago :bigblush:

P.s.

Did anyone catch evander kane's elbow to Quinn Hughes in the 3rd?

It was a sneaky shot to the back of huggy

bears head.

It was on the near side boards in the sharks end.

If anyone can hookup a gif on screenshot please let me know, i need it for a friend.

Edited by GhostsOf1994
Kane

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Probably does... 

This there's a lot of young players looking towards Canucks amongst others, with slight envy of getting opportunities at a young age on a team heading the right direction...

Not only that, but the young guys are a major part of why the team is heading to the right direction.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

I missed the game but want to see the rough stuff. Highlights are only goals. 

Anyone have a link to full highlights? 

I don’t remember which page exactly, but Vintage posted a full game highlights pretty early in the thread.