The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | January (19-25) 2020

Rate this topic

Congrats to Kane on his 1000th point. Though I spent most of my past decade disliking that team, but you got to appreciate the talent of the player. Tonight, let’s break our differences and congrats on a great accomplishment of a great player of this generation.

• Cheers 2

Congrats to newest member of the 1000 point club, Patrick Kane. No matter how far the Hawks fall in the standings, he still gives the fans a reason to tune in and watch night in and night out.  Whether you like him or not, it's hard to deny that he makes the game of hockey exciting. 

Also:  Thumbs up to Blake Wheeler, nice gesture to skate over and personally congratulate Kane before leaving the ice after the game.

Edited by skolozsy2
  • Cheers 1

NHL players name the Top 5 “Dirtiest player in the league.”

Who made the list?

Every fan and pundit around the National Hockey League has an opinion on just about everything that is hockey related, but one group that we do not often get to hear from on interesting topics surrounding the game are the players themselves. Thankfully The Athletic has started an annual tradition in which they survey hundreds of players from around the National Hockey League and get some feedback on some of those very same topics, all the while allowing the players to maintain their anonymity. 

One of the most interesting questions posed to players this year was one regarding who the "dirtiest player in the league" currently is, and the responses from the players proved to be pretty interesting. I think it will come as no surprise to anyone that there was a clear winner this time around, with Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand claiming a whopping 29% of all the votes submitted by players. The Bruins veteran remains the NHL's most notorious agitator and it seems as though his reputation as a player who keeps things on the edge at all times has not diminished in the slightest over time. It is not just that he was selected as the dirtiest player in the league however, some players had some pretty unflattering things to say about the Bruins forward.

“It’s disgusting what the league lets Marchand get away with. He’s got no respect for anybody. Makes me sick,” said an unidentified Central Division player as per The Athletic.

“Let’s go with Brad Marchand. He’s a little prick,” said an unidentified player in the Metropolitan Division.

Marchand was of course not the only player to receive votes, and in fact there were a few names on the list who also found themselves getting quite a few mentions for this dubious award. Rounding out the Top 5 were Tom Wilson of the Washington Capitals with 24% of the vote, Matthew Tkachuk of the Calgary Flames with 11% of the vote, Radko Gudas of the Capitals with 7% of the vote and Antoine Roussel of the Vancouver Canucks with 3% of the vote.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/nhl-players-name-the-top-5-dirtiest-player-in-the-league

Edited by Mackcanuck

34 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Who made the list?

Every fan and pundit around the National Hockey League has an opinion on just about everything that is hockey related, but one group that we do not often get to hear from on interesting topics surrounding the game are the players themselves. Thankfully The Athletic has started an annual tradition in which they survey hundreds of players from around the National Hockey League and get some feedback on some of those very same topics, all the while allowing the players to maintain their anonymity. 

One of the most interesting questions posed to players this year was one regarding who the "dirtiest player in the league" currently is, and the responses from the players proved to be pretty interesting. I think it will come as no surprise to anyone that there was a clear winner this time around, with Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand claiming a whopping 29% of all the votes submitted by players. The Bruins veteran remains the NHL's most notorious agitator and it seems as though his reputation as a player who keeps things on the edge at all times has not diminished in the slightest over time. It is not just that he was selected as the dirtiest player in the league however, some players had some pretty unflattering things to say about the Bruins forward.

“It’s disgusting what the league lets Marchand get away with. He’s got no respect for anybody. Makes me sick,” said an unidentified Central Division player as per The Athletic.

“Let’s go with Brad Marchand. He’s a little prick,” said an unidentified player in the Metropolitan Division.

Marchand was of course not the only player to receive votes, and in fact there were a few names on the list who also found themselves getting quite a few mentions for this dubious award. Rounding out the Top 5 were Tom Wilson of the Washington Capitals with 24% of the vote, Matthew Tkachuk of the Calgary Flames with 11% of the vote, Radko Gudas of the Capitals with 7% of the vote and Antoine Roussel of the Vancouver Canucks with 3% of the vote.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/nhl-players-name-the-top-5-dirtiest-player-in-the-league

Not really understanding Roussel being on that list. Seems like players get annoyed by him but that doesn’t mean he’s dirty.

If anything Kassian or Lucic deserve to be on there after their past incidents (stick swinging and jumping guys). 

Also no Corey Perry? Who even voted on this?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Not really understanding Roussel being on that list. Seems like players get annoyed by him but that doesn’t mean he’s dirty.

If anything Kassian or Lucic deserve to be on there after their past incidents (stick swinging and jumping guys). 

Agreed. Even when Roussel was a Star, I didn’t think he was a dirty player, I thought he was an annoying idiot. Now that he is a Canuck, and get to know him more and hear him talk, I love that guy haha :lol:

2 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Who made the list?

Rooster's an agitator in the same vein as yappy Lappy, but I've never thought him to be a dirty player. He plays hard and throws guys off their game. I don't see it. 

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

392 NHLers answered - 3% for Roussel that's 12 players.

He got fined for sucker punching Braun a few years ago.  He speared Winnik and had to turtle to protect himself.  Winnik went on to talk of how Roussel takes runs at guys but refuses to fight unless he can jump them.  

Edited by mll

3 hours ago, mll said:

392 NHLers answered - 3% for Roussel that's 12 players.

He got fined for sucker punching Braun a few years ago.  He speared Winnik and had to turtle to protect himself.  Winnik went on to talk of how Roussel takes runs at guys but refuses to fight unless he can jump them.  

So that’s two.

I could name half a dozen for guys like Lucic, Perry, Kadri, and Keith.

5 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Adam Lowry will miss at least a month with an upper-body injury.

Several media members tweeted that he was spotted with his arm in a sling post-game. He left the game after this hit:

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

So that’s two.

I could name half a dozen for guys like Lucic, Perry, Kadri, and Keith.

It's surprising that less than 12 players named Perry or Kadri but not that surprising that Roussel got a few votes.  Double hand slash on the back of the knees, running goalies are the kind of things he has done.  Winnik is no longer playing so he wouldn't be one of the 12.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1