The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kobe Bryant Passes Away at 41

BoKnows

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

This is his statement to settle the civil case in which she got a boatload of cash.

"Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did," the apology said. "After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter. I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains."

I feel for his wife, who lost her daughter, and the other families who lost their loved ones.  For Kobe, I feel nothing. 

Chick was a suicidal Kobe fan girl who purposely stayed around late so she could meet him and went back to his room twice after leaving because he asked her to "come back in 15 minutes". Hope she invested that free cash and is getting a large dividend. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I felt nothing when I heard of his passing, not much of a basketball fan and of course I didn't know him personally.  To most he was a icon so naturally they would be upset.  No one can deny he was one of the most known athletes worldwide.  I see you're getting a lot of flak for what you posted but I agree with the bolded.  If you're going to remember someone you have to include the good and the bad, and what happened in Colorado cannot be swept under the rug, it was a huge point in his life and playing career.  To those that say this is not the place - well it is, and to those that say Alf is just trolling and he should log off perhaps they should do the same if they're going to get this emotional over someone they never knew personally.

RIP to all the fallen, and condolences to the families involved.  

She didn't even testify. She was 100% in it for the money.

• Upvote 1

Around the world, a child dies every 5 seconds.

Death is a terrible thing, and yet it's happening everywhere, on a constant basis. It makes sense to be heartbroken when it's someone you know, especially a friend or family member. But I find it interesting how many people give little attention to the death of millions of strangers around the world, but then feel genuine anguish when someone famous dies, even though they never met the person, and when it comes down to it have no real connection to them whatsoever.

Perhaps it is because it is a grim reminder that no matter who you are, what you do, who you know, or how much money you have, death is inevitable, and can come unexpectedly at any time.

Edited by D-Money
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Death is a terrible thing, and yet it's happening everywhere, on a constant basis. It makes sense to be heartbroken when it's someone you know, especially a friend or family member. But I find it interesting how many people give little attention to the death of millions of strangers around the world, but then feel genuine anguish when someone famous dies, even though they never met the person, and when it comes down to it have no real connection to them whatsoever.

Perhaps it is because it is a grim reminder that no matter who you are, what you do, who you know, or how much money you have, death is inevitable, and can come unexpectedly at any time.

Although I agree with the main point of what you are saying, there are unique cases.

He was someone with a legacy for inspiring millions of people. He lead by example of tremendous hard work and the rewards it can give you. For many who have followed him throughout his entire career, including his entry into the business world, felt like they DID know him. The "real" connection being the impact he had on their personal lives.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

But I find it interesting how many people give little attention to the death of millions of strangers around the world, but then feel genuine anguish when someone famous dies, even though they never met the person, and when it comes down to it have no real connection to them whatsoever.

Agreed.

The Altobelli family had grown close to the Bryants through the girls’ basketball team. John, the head baseball coach at Orange Coast College, never missed a chance to see Alyssa play under the tutelage of a legend.

“He loved going to every single practice, because it’s Kobe Bryant. So you’re seeing that guy coach. And he’s seeing him coach his daughter in a sport that she loved to play. He didn't miss many practices and he loved going out and Kobe would talk to him and stuff,” Nate Johnson, the assistant baseball coach at Orange Coast, told The Daily Beast. 

RELATED IN U.S. NEWS

“He put it in baseball terms,” Johnson added. “He was like, ‘What if Derek Jeter was teaching your son how to play baseball? Are you going to miss his practices or are you going to be at every single one?’

“He and Kobe had a special thing just because they did coach and play and understood sports and I think Kobe saw that in Alto and that's why that relationship was able to kind of take off.”

Before the Orange Coast baseball team went to the state final four in 2018, Altobelli invited Kobe to give the team a surprise pep talk.

“He had all the guys sit in the third base dugout which you're able to drive behind that one. And Kobe parked his blacked-out Range Rover back there and he was able to walk out without anyone seeing him. The guys were floored and super excited,” Johnson said.

Jason Kehler, the Orange Coast athletic director, told The Daily Beast that John Altobelli was “an amazing coach” who “personified everything that you would want from a baseball coach, and a co-worker in general.”

His teams won four state championship in the last 10 seasons and many more conference championships, and he was just named the American Baseball Coaches Association Coach of the Year.

200127-McGahan-Kobe-Crash-embed_bqvcr1

Leonard Ortiz/The Orange County Register via AP

After news of the coach’s death broke, the school opened up the field so team members and alumni could be together.

Kehler said Altobelli’s brother Tony, who is the college’s sports information director, addressed the group.

“He echoed what one of the assistant coaches said, that John was really excited about this team and that it was going to be really tough but we were going to take it day by day,” he said. “And that was how we were going to get through this.”

Was trying to find info on the Altobelli's, was wondering if they had any other siblings, at least another brother in the family.  

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-bryant-crash-devastates-families-of-other-victims-john-altobelli-and-christine-mauser

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Although I didn't know Kobe Bryant personally, I followed his career ever since I was in elementary school. He got me into watching basketball and turned me into a Lakers fan. The first jersey that I bought was a Kobe Bryant #8 jersey.

Despite never having a conversation with him, or meeting him in real life, can I say the same (above) about the thousands of strangers that die each day? You don't need to have a "real connection" to feel anguish when someone that is well-known dies, especially if you have followed them for years and looked up to them.

If someone prominent on the Canucks were to die tomorrow, how do you think you would feel despite not knowing them personally?

1 minute ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Knock on wood, imagine if the Sedins were on that helicopter, or Linden, etc. Think about how much it'd hit you personally, even though they were just someone famous you never had an in-person relationship with

Honestly, it would hit me exactly the same. Not a person I’m directly associated with, nor have I ever been associated with. Is it sad? Absolutely, but I think what @D-Money is saying is that it is no more sad than the millions of adults and children who die around the world, who also don’t have the support both familial, publicly, and financially as a famous person likely does.

Again, it’s sad, but for someone like me, not enough to co-opt sadness and get me down. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Monty said:

Honestly, it would hit me exactly the same. Not a person I’m directly associated with, nor have I ever been associated with. Is it sad? Absolutely, but I think what @D-Money is saying is that it is no more sad than the millions of adults and children who die around the world, who also don’t have the support both familial, publicly, and financially as a famous person likely does.

Again, it’s sad, but for someone like me, not enough to co-opt sadness and get me down. 

That’s fair. Everyone’s different. 

I personally don’t like or watch basketball but what got me was hearing about Gigi and her friend being on the plane as well. 

I did cry when I heard about Chester committing suicide. Linkin Park’s music got me through very tough times in high school. The only thing I could turn to during very hard mental health times was their music. I felt like someone close to me had died when I heard about his passing. Hit even more so that he was struggling with the same things that his music helped me through. 

3 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I personally don’t like or watch basketball but what got me was hearing about Gigi and her friend being on the plane as well. 

This, to me, is what’s even more sad about it. As a father myself, I’d rather go well, well before my child. Not after or at the same time.

4 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I did cry when I heard about Chester committing suicide. Linkin Park’s music got me through very tough times in high school. The only thing I could turn to during very hard mental health times was their music. I felt like someone close to me had died when I heard about his passing. Hit even more so that he was struggling with the same things that his music helped me through. 

I understand this. I’ll be getting my masters in Psychology, specifically focusing on mental health. And for children who are struggling, finding something that can get you through it is necessary, no matter how that looks, excluding unsubscribed drugs (ie: cocaine, etc). 

15 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I had a similar reaction to Chris Cornell's passing. Soundgarden's music, especially Superunknown, helped me through some very dark times in my youth, where I felt alone and hopeless. Hearing that music and that insanely powerful voice sing was like a beacon for me.

I, too, was devastated by the idea that his own struggles ended up taking him.

May they rest in peace.

Chris-Cornell-Chester-Bennington.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

People develop a connection to people they look up to, are inspired by, devote time in their life to following. Even though they never meet them, their life has still been shaped by them and that creates an emotional bond. When you're a kid growing up wanting to "be like Kobe" and you try to match your fade away to how Kobe did it, and you ask for a Kobe jersey when your parents ask what you want for your birthday, etc. all those events strengthen that emotional bond.

Knock on wood, imagine if the Sedins were on that helicopter, or Linden, etc. Think about how much it'd hit you personally, even though they were just someone famous you never had an in-person relationship with.

Meh - enjoyed watching the Sedins and all, but if they died I'd at least know they had a good, full life. Can't say the same about children dying in poverty.

I shed tears reading Shake Hands With The Devil, particularly when reading about some of the techniques used to not only slaughter one's neighbour, but do so in a way to inflict the maximum amount of humiliation, degradation, and emotional turmoil. My heart aches for child soldiers. And I cried like a baby when watching Dear Zachary... It just seems so much worse when the victims really didn't have a chance, not just to not die, but to actually live.

Part of me wonders though if the devotion people pay to famous people (particularly athletes) is actually a form of religious devotion. It would explain the extra emotional impact that news of their death seems to cause.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it'll ever settle in the fact that Kobe is no longer with us. And what makes it even more devastating is that his daughter Gigi perished as well. The one daughter who wanted to play professionally and had already developed a similar game to her fathers. She wanted to keep his legacy alive, and Kobe wanted her to be the one. 

Gigi (Gianna) was daddy's girl. Both perish together tragically. 

RIP to everyone who perished in that crash.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, D-Money said:

And I cried like a baby when watching Dear Zachary...

I remember years ago (probably 7-10) you recommended this in the movie thread. I watched it right after. It was a rough one. Would be much worse now, with having kids of my own.

4 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

If a major character on a tv show or movie dies do you cry? 

If a fictional character that never existed, dies? I mean, definitely not. Han Solo and Kylo Ren aren’t real.