The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Good point.  Loui, however, will have two seasons left carrying a six milli9n cap hit, but only costing 2 million in actually dollars spent.  Marleau was 6 million and six million.  To a bottom feeder cap team, who is rebuilding, I could see them being very attracted to such a trade.  

Don't see many more bottom feeder cap teams left. The market is thin which only drives the price up even further. LE could easily put all 15 lowly teams on his no trade list.

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For sure. Considering that he's from Surrey, it would be nice to have a defenseman of his size and physicality to bolster the blueline.

He’s from Surrey!  God get this guy.  He has to be one seriously tough guy to come out if there alive.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, tas said:

the canucks may currently have the best top 6 (when healthy) they ever have -- and more importantly, the most playoff-built. 

miller, horvat, pearson, toffoli, and virtanen in the top 6. that's a lot of heavy, grinding, straight line players. 

plus roussel, sutter, beagle, motte, macewen throughout the rest of the forward group. 

if the canucks lose in the first round, the team that beats them will be ground chuck. 

Assuming everyone on forward is healthy, lines should be:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Extras: Eriksson, MacEwen

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Darius said:

Lots of people (here , the radio etc) are assuming Toffoli plays with Bo an Pearson.

Im thinking they should put him on the top line. 

Nice to have options. The assumption is based on previous chemistry, but could easily see things play out in many different ways. Especially as players return from injuries.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

Don't see many more bottom feeder cap teams left. The market is thin which only drives the price up even further. LE could easily put all 15 lowly teams on his no trade list.

If Loui nixes any trade, he gets shipped to Utica, and I’m sure he knows that.  

Just now, theo5789 said:

Nice to have options. The assumption is based on previous chemistry, but could easily see things play out in many different ways. Especially as players return from injuries.

the forward roster @Blömqvist posted above looks pretty good when everyone is healthy...

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

BB is a top 6 winger.  A draft pick is not going to help now or next year where the mandate is to make the playoffs. 

If anything, a top 4 D is what BB would fetch.

It's possible for sure, but if they want to re-sign TT then they need the cap space.  If they can get a top 10 pick, there's a good chance it's someone who can step up relatively soon.  Moving BB for a high priced dman doesn't solve anything for the cap.

Just now, JayDangles said:

One thing that was mentioned about 50 pages ago, and is worth repeating. Toffoli was being targeted by Calgary and Edmonton at the deadline. This made it more important that we got him, which ups his value slightly more. I'm very happy we picked up Toffoli, given BB's injury, a need for more top 6 scoring, and a risk of our division rivals getting better instead of us... this is a strong move.

Not to mention Rantenen went down about an hour after the trade

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe so, we heard this all last off season too though. Hopefully he refuses to report and we can proceed to contract termination (see Bogosian). Or he can leave on his terms and retire.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

I would like to see Toffoli and BB switch spots. I know there's history with Pearson, but there's also history with Bo and Brock. With Toffoli and Miller style of play, they can make a lot of room for Petey and his deadly shot

• Cheers 2

Just now, JayDangles said:

One thing that was mentioned about 50 pages ago, and is worth repeating. Toffoli was being targeted by Calgary and Edmonton at the deadline. This made it more important that we got him, which ups his value slightly more. I'm very happy we picked up Toffoli, given BB's injury, a need for more top 6 scoring, and a risk of our division rivals getting better instead of us... this is a strong move.

good point.  funny you bring this up as Ferraro is on radio right now saying almost the same.  Some of the top trade targets have been taken off of the table...Teams like Boston, Calgary and the coilers were probably targeting Toffoli and Coleman.  Hopefully this drives up the price for them now.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Will San Jose want to re-sign him?

Who else do they have that can defend? Vlasic? Burns? Karlsson?

3 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Missing Leivo and hopefully Ferland

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Well... rumour has it he nixed a trade to Alberta for either neal or lucic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

So you're proposing something like Petterson, Bo, Gaudette and Madden as our centres in a couple of years?  I can't see a bottom 6 with Gaudette and Madden as the Cs.  It looks pretty unbalanced from a size and style of play point of view.  There's a reason why cheap, big, strong, defensively-oriented 4Cs are a thing.  It's true that we don't have one in the system now, but they don't all cost what we paid Beagle.  Agreed, though, that it makes no sense to expend his and Sutter's salaries for the roles they play and that Podz and Hogs should be keepers. 

Not really, it's quite possible he plays wing first like a lot of former centers  when they come in.  Miller is also a center, he's taken enough face offs even now.  The point is we have a limited supply of guys that may or may not make it and Madden was definitely one of them and our best center.   Sutter won't be going anywhere soon now - which fine.  Bet he's going to draft centers too so hopefully he hits on another gem, but it will be a few years behind the curve.   A lot of vets on the team won't be here in two years - if we can't replace them internally then the cost is higher. Cap management is key if we are going to be able to ice a balanced team - and ELCs plus second show me contracts definitely help with that.   Just look at TO and how they are trying to balance it - and next year it will be even worse for them.   We aren't that bad off, but we also already have issues - and it won't get easier.  Some have mentioned his size - like his Dad it's more about the fight in the dog then how big he is.  LA will be using him sooner then later - it won't take years to find out who won this trade.   For management I suppose us making the playoffs now is the point which I do get...Toffoli should give us a big boost and hopefully it's enough. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

The Hawks young core was ready to compete when they signed Hossa.  They were in their 3rd to 5th years already. Petey is in year two, and Huggy is in year one.  And we don’t have a third guy yet (Podkolzin? Rathbone? the first we gave up this year for Miller?)

I love Bo, but IMO he’s a support player.  

Hahahahaha

Hahahahaha

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Ferraro just mentioned that on 1040.  This tells me that our prospect pool is way better than what the other teams wanting Tofoli have. Kings wanted Madden.  And even giving him up, we still have lots of great prospects left.  The other teams didn’t even have a Madden level prospect to give up.  This further shows why We really need to keep Bracket.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2