The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #10

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #10  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #10 Canuck of All-Time?

• A. Edler
    • T. Bertuzzi
    • R. Kesler
    • A. Burrows
    • B. Morrison
    • M. Ohlund
    • D. Lever
    • K. Bieksa
    • T. Tanti
    • J. Lumme

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Vote Edler

Nominate Mogilny, he may not of played here for  long time but in his 5 years here he was one of the most talented players to ever wear a Canuck uniform.

He was one of the most talented players to wear any uniform but I just can't vote for him this high because of the inconsistent effort. He was part of the best junior line ever with Federov and Bure and only 3 players in history ever scored more goals in a single season than Mogilny (Gretzky, Lemieux and Hull). Before his grotesque ankle injury I thought he was good enough to score 70 goals every year.. I can understand why you would nominate him..........

Voted Ohlund.  I know Edler is going to run away with this but between the two Ohlund was better defensively, a better and more consistent hitter - and better at putting up the points although a slim margin there (although he played mostly in the dead puck era which also matters if your into adjusting per era etc).  And when he left was the leader in all catagories...and it took Edler a few more seasons to catch up.   As far as quality and quantity goes Ohlund is the best pick to represent a defenseman in the top ten.   Doesn't hurt either the four hockey historians who made a book called top fifty players all-time by franchise with THN ranked him #6.... way ahead of Elder way down at 20.    Length of career absolutely matters in these cases ... time to nominate 7 years as a starter Richard Broduer.  My first favourite goalie growing up.   Pete Peters was cool too...what a great hockey name ha ha.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

ohlund

g. courtnall

Nice to see Courtnall  getting some representation.  Geoff and Greg Adams are about the same in my books - a couple of the solid wingers we had during the peak Linden years..personally id have Ronning ahead of both those guys - but its splitting hairs really..  Ronning, Adams, Courtnal  in that order (with them plus Bure and Linden and a supportive well rounded defense - a huge reason we reached our high water mark of 346 goals in a season - 70ish more then the peak Sedin team).   Very close to each other though....also think Mommesso should also make the list from that team - same with Babych, Murzyn, Diduck and of course Lumme.   Too many recentish player getting nominated like Salo, Hamhuis, that have no business making it  ahead of some of the guys from Smyl and Lindens team.   Snespts for example.    All time D should be something like this;

Ohlund, Lumme, Lidster, Snepsts, Edler, Jovo, Kearns, Bieksa, Babych, " Strangler", McCarthy, Salo, Lanz, Oddleifson,  Aucion, Hamhuis, Diduck, Murzyn, Reinhart, Hughes.   Around 20 - Hughes of course is going to move right on up to the top eventually.   In a book i have Ohlund is ranked 6th, Snepsts 11, Lidster 12, Lumme 13, Jovo 16, Edler 20...Kearns 22, Bieksa 23....you have to go a long way before you find Salo and Hamhuis....there are a lot of players that should be considered before them....

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

I appreciate everything Edler has done for the team, but I just can't pick him quite yet.

Voting Kesler

Nominating Brodeur

Agreed.  He shouldn't be in the top ten, and despite his longevity we've had a half dozen guys that played 434-579-666-770-781 games that were better and deserve to be at least considered a higher ranking.  Im really surprised hes getting this much love considering how much crap the fan base has given him over the years.  If Myers and Hughes didn't help pick up the slack and he had his usual Salo-ish year I have to wonder if hed be getting this much love this soon.   I"d have him at five.  No higher and even then I'd have a hard time putting him higher then Jovo....(fifth best defenseman)

As far as Kesler goes he's my next pick after Ohlund.  He's deserving and factually should already be in.  Either him or Bertuzzi.  Kesler is one of a very small list of guys for the best two-way forward of his time - and in his peak (2010 Olympics and NHL season) was one of the best in the entire league like Bertuzzi was for three years.  Bergeron, Toews and Kesler...five times Selke finalist..second place a couple times and first once.  No way Edler should be ahead of either of these guys but it appears thats what is going to happen.

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Agreed.  He shouldn't be in the top ten, and despite his longevity we've had a half dozen guys that played 434-579-666-770-781 games that were better and deserve to be at least considered a higher ranking.  Im really surprised hes getting this much love considering how much crap the fan base has given him over the years.  If Myers and Hughes didn't help pick up the slack and he had his usual Salo-ish year I have to wonder if hed be getting this much love this soon.   I"d have him at five.  No higher and even then I'd have a hard time putting him higher then Jovo....(fifth best defenseman)

As far as Kesler goes he's my next pick after Ohlund.  He's deserving and factually should already be in.  Either him or Bertuzzi.  Kesler is one of a very small list of guys for the best two-way forward of his time - and in his peak (2010 Olympics and NHL season) was one of the best in the entire league like Bertuzzi was for three years.  Bergeron, Toews and Kesler...five times Selke finalist..second place a couple times and first once.  No way Edler should be ahead of either of these guys but it appears thats what is going to happen.

It is quite curious how Edler is getting this many votes. Perhaps because he's the only one in the poll currently on the Canucks? He's done a lot for the franchise, but has never been a star player. I would think a top 20 placement is appropriate being the leader in D points, but not top 10.

I would imagine Kesler would have been voted in already if his time in Vancouver ended on a different note. 40 goal Selke winners don't come by very often.

I'd have Kesler, Ohlund, and Bertuzzi as my next 3.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

It is quite curious how Edler is getting this many votes. Perhaps because he's the only one in the poll currently on the Canucks? He's done a lot for the franchise, but has never been a star player. I would think a top 20 placement is appropriate being the leader in D points, but not top 10.

I would imagine Kesler would have been voted in already if his time in Vancouver ended on a different note. 40 goal Selke winners don't come by very often.

I'd have Kesler, Ohlund, and Bertuzzi as my next 3.

Recency bias in that he's recently taken over alot of Canucks team records for defenseman? And now people are appreciating him after years of crapping on him undeservingly.

Idk that's my guess. I agree he shouldn't be ahead of a number of guys. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Nice to see Courtnall  getting some representation.  Geoff and Greg Adams are about the same in my books - a couple of the solid wingers we had during the peak Linden years..personally id have Ronning ahead of both those guys - but its splitting hairs really..  Ronning, Adams, Courtnal  in that order (with them plus Bure and Linden and a supportive well rounded defense - a huge reason we reached our high water mark of 346 goals in a season - 70ish more then the peak Sedin team).   Very close to each other though....also think Mommesso should also make the list from that team - same with Babych, Murzyn, Diduck and of course Lumme.   Too many recentish player getting nominated like Salo, Hamhuis, that have no business making it  ahead of some of the guys from Smyl and Lindens team.   Snespts for example.    All time D should be something like this;

Ohlund, Lumme, Lidster, Snepsts, Edler, Jovo, Kearns, Bieksa, Babych, " Strangler", McCarthy, Salo, Lanz, Oddleifson,  Aucion, Hamhuis, Diduck, Murzyn, Reinhart, Hughes.   Around 20 - Hughes of course is going to move right on up to the top eventually.   In a book i have Ohlund is ranked 6th, Snepsts 11, Lidster 12, Lumme 13, Jovo 16, Edler 20...Kearns 22, Bieksa 23....you have to go a long way before you find Salo and Hamhuis....there are a lot of players that should be considered before them....

The one thing I have working for Salo - perhaps getting him into the rankings at all - is that if you look at the Canucks' all time numbers, he is actually 4th in Canucks history for playoff games.

And similarly for Geoff Courtnall...guy only played 200-something regular season games for us.  But he's still 5th all time for playoff points after all these years.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The one thing I have working for Salo - perhaps getting him into the rankings at all - is that if you look at the Canucks' all time numbers, he is actually 4th in Canucks history for playoff games.

And similarly for Geoff Courtnall...guy only played 200-something regular season games for us.  But he's still 5th all time time playoff points after all these years.

You bet... Courtnall almost played 300 games for us over five years - 292 - Puts him in the same territory as Mogilny but his playoff heroics should also be considered when comparing these two guys.  Salo played quite a long time for us but missed so much time...played for us for an entire decade - for both the WCE and Sedin teams so it makes sense he's that high in playoff games - played 588 games of a possible 900 ish.   Felt having him in the line-up didn't make it easy for our defensive pairings - when he played he was always solid - but missing that much time that consistently had a negative impact too.   Butcher played more games for us in a year or two less service on some of the worst teams we've had - and was one of the best defensive defenseman we've ever had - the "Strangler' could rag doll guys - and most importantly was the key player in one of the best trades we've had - third best id say the one that brought us our second line center in Ronning plus plus.  Where would he rank compared to Salo?   Personally id take Butcher for his intangibles and the fact he wouldnt spend as much time in the infirmary.  Geoff Courtnall is our version of Anderson in EDM... or Burrows - lite.  

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

oddleifson was a centre. i agree that ohlund was our best ever d-man. trouble now is it becomes a personality vote. most people  only vote for people they’ve seen. 

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet... Courtnall almost played 300 games for us over five years - 292 - Puts him in the same territory as Mogilny but his playoff heroics should also be considered when comparing these two guys.  Salo played quite a long time for us but missed so much time...played for us for an entire decade - for both the WCE and Sedin teams so it makes sense he's that high in playoff games - played 588 games of a possible 900 ish.   Felt having him in the line-up didn't make it easy for our defensive pairings - when he played he was always solid - but missing that much time that consistently had a negative impact too.   Butcher played more games for us in a year or two less service on some of the worst teams we've had - and was one of the best defensive defenseman we've ever had - the "Strangler' could rag doll guys - and most importantly was the key player in one of the best trades we've had - third best id say the one that brought us our second line center in Ronning plus plus.  Where would he rank compared to Salo?   Personally id take Butcher for his intangibles and the fact he wouldnt spend as much time in the infirmary.  Geoff Courtnall is our version of Anderson in EDM... or Burrows - lite.  

Heh, I'd probably be more inclined to call Burrows a Courtnall-lite...  Geoff just had the bad luck of many players to get bounced around his whole career, so he never really took root anywhere.  By our standards, he'd probably be a jersey retirement, as would Ronning, and Babych, if they'd played a supermajority of their careers here.  Anyway, Geoff Courtnall and Glenn Anderson is a pretty good comparison.  And of course Geoff won a Cup playing with Glenn a few years before we acquired him.  Maybe he picked up a few things.

And I think Garth Butcher is one of the guys that is going to get the shaft in this poll, ending up substantially below where he belongs and possibly off the board altogether.  When he left, it was him, Smyl, Snepsts and Tiger I think all bunched up at the top practically tied for the all-time penalty minutes record.  No accident that he became the Blues' captain shortly after they acquired him.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1