The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

7 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Confirmed Petey, Hudges , Boesor, Gaud , Etc were brackets picks.

Benning and his ego are going to let this dude walk because he wants his friend to have control. A friend who can’t draft talent.

How does that confirm anything?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, gurn said:

Problem solve your way out of a binding legal agreement? good luck.

Igor's choice to leave.

yea, that 'good luck' attitude is exactly what continues to get the Canucks in trouble

Its the "Drive him to the airport" mantality that Canuck fans love to fall back on

Catch phrases and cliches are really handy when you are too lazy or too dumb to find a better answer

But if you are happy being stumped....

16 minutes ago, lmm said:

yea, that 'good luck' attitude is exactly what continues to get the Canucks in trouble

Its the "Drive him to the airport" mantality that Canuck fans love to fall back on

Catch phrases and cliches are really handy when you are too lazy or too dumb to find a better answer

But if you are happy being stumped....

Please show me where I said I was happy, or stumped for that matter?

Please elaborate on just who you are calling "too lazy or too dumb"

thanks.

Edited by gurn

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Please show me where I said I was happy, or stumped for that matter?

Please elaborate on just who you are calling "too lazy or too dumb"

thanks.

I am not going down this rabbit hole with you .

you are on your own

9 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Fair enough and Van Gundy has said his biggest regret was trying to change Francis too much. He was hard on him and Francis didn't take it well I guess. At the end of the day, who else was offering a NBA all star (even with his baggage) for a player that was known that wanted out? It's a tough situation to be in, but it's not like Weisbrod decided to trade Mcgrady for no reason, he had to and he did what he could to try and bring an all star back. And as I mentioned, he could've went with a safer pick in Okafor to worry about his team now, but he went with higher potential in Howard for long term vision (which goes in line with some picks that we have made that took some riskier moves for the long term gain). Plus despite this supposed poor trade, he was able to get the Magic 15 games better than the basement season prior to his arrival (even with TMac) before he left basketball to follow his dream of hockey because he "would trade 3 NBA championships for one Stanley Cup". The Magic felt he did a good job there and Weisbrod left on his own terms, not let go from being a poor GM.

Mcgrady may have had more individual achievements, but he didn't push that team any further.

That plus 15 games win, isn’t much of an accomplishment, when the Magic were a playoff team prior to Weisbrod’s arrival. They had one of their worst seasons in franchise history under Weisbrod, due to a rift between a disgruntled superstar and management.

Funny enough, in his two seasons with the Magic they missed the playoff both times. Once he resign, they went back to the post-season 5 straight years. 

Yeah, he got credit for drafting Howard over Okafor. But it isn’t like he went off board and took Howard. Many basketball analysts at that time considered Howard the consensus number one pick.

Edited by shiznak

8 hours ago, Toews said:

I don't believe that the Juolevi pick should be held against anybody. No one could have predicted the injuries he would suffer. Keep in mind that the Canucks had regarded PLD very highly at the time but the Jackets took him and it looks like an excellent pick. We were sorely in need for centers & defenseman. Scouting is a collaborative effort, its the staff that is tasked with coming up with the draft board. GMs do get a ton of say with top picks but lower picks are usually just taken off the board. GMs shouldn't be investing too much time in scouting as they have other duties to fulfill as well. A GM has to delegate and trust scouts to do their job as they will be the eyes and ears of the process. 

To me Linden's words about Brackett hold significance, it seems to indicate to me that he has an excellent eye and replacing him will be a tough challenge. 

OJ pick was a bad pick. Drafted for position vs best player available.

I watched OJ live a few times. Brutal.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Chris12345 said:

OJ pick was a bad pick. Drafted for position vs best player available.

I watched OJ live a few times. Brutal.

We definitely drafted with need in mind. We needed C/D and that is what they targeted. After PLD was gone, Juolevi was the next name on the list. We will have to agree to disagree on his talent as he was considered one of the top defenseman in the OHL at the time. Injuries have cost him considerable development time.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, shiznak said:

That plus 15 games win, isn’t much of an accomplishment, when the Magic were a playoff team prior to Weisbrod’s arrival. They had one of their worst seasons in franchise history under Weisbrod, due to a rift between a disgruntled superstar and management.

Funny enough, in his two seasons with the Magic they missed the playoff both times. Once he resign, they went back to the post-season 5 straight years. 

Yeah, he got credit for drafting Howard over Okafor. But it isn’t like he went off board and took Howard. Many basketball analysts at that time considered Howard the consensus number one pick.

He was named GM for the 2004-2005 season. In 2003-2004, their record was 21-61. In Weisbrod's GM year, they finished 36-46. They didn't make the playoffs, but that's a major improvement from bottom dweller. Like I said, their upper management thought he did a good job, but Weisbrod left because his passion wasn't in basketball. Who knows where else he would've taken the team, but a 15 game improvement is a good start.

Their future was set up with Howard. While it wasn't a reach to select him, he could've gone for the safer choice to make him look good. Going with a high schooler has it's risk, but it gave a longer term vision. It's not dissimilar to us drafting Podkolzin knowing he's a couple years away rather than being able to help immediately for example whereas some teams at the bottom want that immediate impact.

He wasn't an amazing GM, but I think it's a bit blown out of proportion that he was poor at his job over one trade that had many factors involved. He got a team to bounce back from being last in the league relatively quickly. That 2008-09 team that got to the finals still had some players that Weisbrod brought in, so his fingerprints were still there. Houston Rockets with TMac struggled in the playoffs despite being a playoff quality team prior to adding him.

10 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He was named GM for the 2004-2005 season. In 2003-2004, their record was 21-61. In Weisbrod's GM year, they finished 36-46. They didn't make the playoffs, but that's a major improvement from bottom dweller. Like I said, their upper management thought he did a good job, but Weisbrod left because his passion wasn't in basketball. Who knows where else he would've taken the team, but a 15 game improvement is a good start.

Their future was set up with Howard. While it wasn't a reach to select him, he could've gone for the safer choice to make him look good. Going with a high schooler has it's risk, but it gave a longer term vision. It's not dissimilar to us drafting Podkolzin knowing he's a couple years away rather than being able to help immediately for example whereas some teams at the bottom want that immediate impact.

He wasn't an amazing GM, but I think it's a bit blown out of proportion that he was poor at his job over one trade that had many factors involved. He got a team to bounce back from being last in the league relatively quickly. That 2008-09 team that got to the finals still had some players that Weisbrod brought in, so his fingerprints were still there. Houston Rockets with TMac struggled in the playoffs despite being a playoff quality team prior to adding him.

Managing and coaching in the NBA vs. NHL is an entirely different animal. The NBA has one of the most powerful unions in sports and that's because rosters in basketball are smaller, so power can be easily consolidated between players especially the top ones (who have massive shoe deals with big name brands). Watching The Last Dance documentary, you have footage of the greatest basketball player of all time in a room with the greatest coach of all time and the hierarchy is player over coach. That was 30 years ago, if you are that caliber of athlete in basketball today, you can essentially run the entire show. This is simply not the case in the NHL. Its why you have the juxtaposition of the New York Knicks being an utter clown show while the Rangers are a competently run franchise despite being under the same owner James Dolan.

The reason I point this out is that in basketball it is crucial that you manage your relations carefully and it is fairly easy to step on toes. Weisbrod did exactly what he was mandated to do by the Orlando Magic ownership group, but the way he went about it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Lou Lamoriello was far more successful (than Weisbrod) in the NBA with the New Jersey Nets but even he returned back to the NHL in part because his policies were simply not popular in the NBA. 

Weisbrod might cite "passion" as a reason why he came to the NHL but I think "reputation" is far closer to the mark as it relates to the NBA.

Edited by Toews

39 minutes ago, Toews said:

Managing and coaching in the NBA vs. NHL is an entirely different animal. The NBA has one of the most powerful unions in sports and that's because rosters in basketball are smaller, so power can be easily consolidated between players especially the top ones (who have massive shoe deals with big name brands). Watching The Last Dance documentary, you have footage of the greatest basketball player of all time in a room with the greatest coach of all time and the hierarchy is player over coach. That was 30 years ago, if you are that caliber of athlete in basketball today, you can essentially run the entire show. This is simply not the case in the NHL. Its why you have the juxtaposition of the New York Knicks being an utter clown show while the Rangers are a competently run franchise despite being under the same owner James Dolan.

The reason I point this out is that in basketball it is crucial that you manage your relations carefully and it is fairly easy to step on toes. Weisbrod did exactly what he was mandated to do by the Orlando Magic ownership group, but the way he went about it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Lou Lamoriello was far more successful (than Weisbrod) in the NBA with the New Jersey Nets but even he returned back to the NHL in part because his policies were simply not popular in the NBA. 

Weisbrod might cite "passion" as a reason why he came to the NHL but I think "reputation" is far closer to the mark as it relates to the NBA.

Yes Weisbrod even mentioned in a interview that his style is more suited for hockey players. But as far as I can tell, upper management was happy with him and thought he was doing a good job and they were surprised that he resigned from his position. However Weisbrod was always a hockey guy, but the Magic wanted to try something different. I think having a 15 game swing from being the basement team is pretty decent (unless the expectation is that he was suppose to win the championship in his one season after being at the bottom). He also had received death threats at his home at one point. I'm sure there are other reasons for him leaving the NBA as well, but using his time here as a knock on his ability to manage seems unfair IMO.

19 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Judd Brackett

I've been watching and covering the Canucks for many many years, I have never seen a scout like Judd Brackett get coverage like he has this season.

Vancouver has seen many big name GM’s, coaches and players fired and traded. A scout though? No scout has ever received this kind of attention in this market.

Social media plays a big part in how this has played out. Can you name the top scout in Edmonton, Calgary or Montreal?

You sure can in Vancouver.

An executive in the NHL : “Can not believe the press Brackett gets in Vancouver. You do not see this in other markets.”

You certainly do not.

Like any other scout, Brackett has made good picks and bad picks.

He has benefited from drafting very high the last few years and having high picks in the 30-40 range as well. Based on where he has been picking, he should have a good success rate. 

An NHL scout : “Despite picking high Judd has outperformed other head scouts who are also on rebuilding teams in my eyes.”

There are some in the hockey world though, who are not impressed with the way Brackett is leaking his story to the press. 

I am sure other teams are noticing this as well.

By the same token, if you hire a person to run a draft, let him run the draft.

The narrative that Benning and his sidekick John Weisbrod want more control at the draft is not going away.

This is not a good look on the Canucks. I can not remember a story like this when Pat Quinn, Brian Burke, Dave Nonis or Mike Gillis ran the team.

Quinn always trusted his head scout Mike Penny. Clearly that trust doesn't exist between Benning and Brackett.

It is very unlikely that the two sides will kiss and make up. In fact, some are beginning to think that Brackett won't make it to the NHL draft. However this ends up, there will be plenty of blame to go around on both sides.

The Canucks better have a good plan B if they let Brackett go because this story is not going away anytime soon.

Maybe we are a special place full of rabid fans

Canuckville has known Thomas Gradin and Ron Delorme (for good but mostly bad) for a long time

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Most people would not even have known who Brackett was had it not been for those behind the scenes draft videos.

Scouts get too much credit for good picks and too much blame for bad ones. Scouting is a team effort that involves lots of different people. This narrative that Brackett is somehow making all these amazing picks is false. The only information I can gather is that he is responsible for implementing a new system for drafting. Most likely to do with measuring prospects across different leagues and strategies for knowing when to pick which player.

I really don’t think Benning and Weisbrod would be going out scouting as much as they do if they were just deferring every pick to Brackett. Give him credit for the system because it seems to be working, but he’s not responsible for all our good picks.

Lets not forget Bennings first draft where he picked 5 players that made the NHL with his first 5 picks. That was without Brackett or his system in place. Benning knows NHL talent.

I thought that read on here, that the system was Wiesbrod's?

Media/social media is a funny/dangerous thing.

We(the larger we) have Duschene +co in a taxi and more recently Leipsic destroying his career, and even those of uswho can't tweet say,"they should have known better".

I think mic'd up players is awesome, but you usually hear them warn their buddies, "I'm wired"

I have never understood how the Canucks  see value in filming their draft.

It seems to me some things are just better not blabbed to the world.

Whatt is next  Canucks Medicine?

Benning, " Rooster has a lower body injury"

Up next 'Knee reconstructive surgery with Dr Bill Regan' 

I am joking, kind of.

Also, and I know I have brought this up too many time, the Canucks feature Jake and Jarod hangin with the Beibs,then 2 weeks later Danky is upset because theyoung guys aren't pulling their weight.

you know, maybe featuring Kids doing Kid stuff on an NHL team is not the best feature to promote your team.

neither is draft day coverage. Just my opinion.

If you could bug their phone and table, that would be great pirate radio, but their santitized 3 weeks after the fact videos seem kind of fake newsy.

Edited by lmm

4 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Yes Weisbrod even mentioned in a interview that his style is more suited for hockey players. But as far as I can tell, upper management was happy with him and thought he was doing a good job and they were surprised that he resigned from his position. However Weisbrod was always a hockey guy, but the Magic wanted to try something different. I think having a 15 game swing from being the basement team is pretty decent (unless the expectation is that he was suppose to win the championship in his one season after being at the bottom). He also had received death threats at his home at one point. I'm sure there are other reasons for him leaving the NBA as well, but using his time here as a knock on his ability to manage seems unfair IMO.

I enjoyed this article

Weisbrod was responsible for the blockbuster trade of disgruntled superstar Tracy McGrady. In a 7-player deal which sent McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue, and Reece Gaines to the Houston Rockets, the Magic received erratic point guard Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, and Kelvin Cato. Weisbrod received written death threats from fans on different occasions following this transaction.

Man that's getting pretty serious

I don't doubt that Brackett will re surface in the NHL I wonder how much that will influence Vcr dealing with which ever team that may be. It seems only natural that all the vcr dirty laundry will be exposed :lol: It seems like there is acrimony there