The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judd Brackett

Rate this topic

Fred65

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Brackett predates both Linden and Benning actually.

Most of the media discussion and a lot of it in here is the "hunt for the bad guy" in all this. Bracketts a genius. Bracket wasn't good before Benning. Benning isn't collaborative. Benning built the new scouting system. Pick whatever theory you like someone's make the case for it.

But what about this - what if there isn't a bad guy? What if its simply a matter of managerial style? Some guys run things top-down, and it works. Some guys run things flat, and it works. Sometimes good smart people prefer one style over another. It happens. No one needs to be some "someones guy" or a bad person. 

Whatever happens I'm fine with Benning as the main scouting decision maker, he's done just fine on that front and oh yeah, he's the GM. If Brackett stays thats  great too. But its not the end of days if he wants to move to an organization with a different style. 

This place is worse than a sewing circle at times...:rolleyes: :picard:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK well he was in the organization earlier than both, but sure in your mind "promotion" makes him "Linden's guy" for whatever that label is worth. 

These guys are professionals, they're not in clique camps in high school. If Brackett is the type of person hanging on to some sort of grudge over Linden then he should move on, because thats a totally useless waste of energy for your head of amateur scouting. 

.. who said anything about. Racket holding a grudge?

The reporters have a lot of access they talk to people on the team every day, some of which they report and some they don’t to preserve the relationships.

There is a clearly reported issue where Brackett is being sidelined even though he has overseen the greatest successes we have ever seen in the organization.  Benning has publicly said he and a Weisbrod are going to take over more day to day scouting.  Folks outside the market are talking about how crazy it is that the best part of our organization is falling apart.  It isn’t about good or bad guys... it is about worsening the team’s future.

You have clearly never worked in an office in any form of responsibility if you don’t think cliques and empire building happen.

It was already seen when Linden got railroaded.  Benning made a power move with ownership and won.  There were signs of it long before it actually happened when reports came out of Benning getting a direct pipeline to ownership bypassing Linden (his boss).

Office politics.

Edited by Provost

Just now, Provost said:

.. who said anything about. Racket holding a grudge?

The reporters have a lot of access they talk to people on the team every day, some of which they report and some they don’t to preserve the relationships.

There is a clearly reported issue where Brackett is being sidelined even though he has overseen the greatest successes we have ever seen in the organization.  Benning has publicly said he and a Weisbrod are going to take over more day to day scouting.  Folks outside the market are talking about how crazy it is that the best part of our organization is falling apart.  It isn’t about good or bad guys... it is about worsening the team’s future.

You have clearly never worked in an office in any form of responsibility if you don’t think cliques and empire building happen.

:blink: okie dokie. 

You want cliques and black hats. Neat. In my world good people can disagree on how things are run and move on amicably. 

How many thought this franchise was going downhill when Linden left and "Dim Jim" had more power? We have only gone up since (but of course this isn't because of Benning, it's on Brackett singlehandedly apparently). Brackett may have done a decent job, but if he isn't on board with us, then good luck to him elsewhere. We are drafting players for character that want to be a Canuck, this runs through the organization. We will be fine. It's not like our prospect pool is going to collapse and suddenly our drafting will diminish. Why is the assumption that if Brackett goes that it's all doom and gloom? Perhaps Benning will identify the next Brackett (considering he promoted him there in the first place).

Let's not forget that as we continue to progress, we will have "lower" picks and thus the talent quality drops. So it's not going to be a surprise that we have higher end talent over the last few years comparatively to the next few years (but making the later round picks count where it's more of a crapshoot will be more telling). Context matters.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

How many thought this franchise was going downhill when Linden left and "Dim Jim" had more power? We have only gone up since (but of course this isn't because of Benning, it's on Brackett singlehandedly apparently). Brackett may have done a decent job, but if he isn't on board with us, then good luck to him elsewhere. We are drafting players for character that want to be a Canuck, this runs through the organization. We will be fine. It's not like our prospect pool is going to collapse and suddenly our drafting will diminish. Why is the assumption that if Brackett goes that it's all doom and gloom? Perhaps Benning will identify the next Brackett (considering he promoted him there in the first place).

Let's not forget that as we continue to progress, we will have "lower" picks and thus the talent quality drops. So it's not going to be a surprise that we have higher end talent over the last few years comparatively to the next few years (but making the later round picks count where it's more of a crapshoot will be more telling). Context matters.

Yeah, I like the job that Brackett and the Canucks as a whole have done drafting the last 5'ish years but this whole premise that Judd is some sort of hockey scout 'Jesus' solely responsible for any and all success there is a bit baffling :blink:

Nothing at this level is a done with the input, and correspondingly success/failure, of only one person.

• Cheers 1

To be honest I tend to believe that the thing that brought a halt to the slide was not as much Lindens departure but the arrival of Pettersson, followed by Hughes. Take those two away and we're no better than the previous seasons. Some of those aquisition's was luck ( ie the teams drafting ahead of us didn't take eother of those players) but part due to Vcr scouting. As I understand Delorme was the one that wouldn't let go of the Pettersson bone and in the case of Hughes I recall JB saying to Brackett after they grabbed Woo, "well you got both of YOUR players"

Vcr minus EP and QH is still a poor team, it gave every one hope. Miller without EP wouldn't have happened there was no need.

Sadly the only way we'll find out is if he leaves. Forunately for Vcr ( and JB ) the result of that won't be apparent for years to come, no 1st or 2nd round pick this years, the pciks we get in 2021 will still be likely  3 years away from the NHL and so most fans will have forgotten about Brackett by then. I'll say this now is the time for good Pro scouting rather than amateur scouting

Edited by Fred65

54 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

:blink: okie dokie. 

You want cliques and black hats. Neat. In my world good people can disagree on how things are run and move on amicably. 

Sounds like you live in a world where Pork Chops, Bacon and Ham all come from the same animal :frantic:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's hearsay, not 'proof'.

Sewing circle :picard:

Well unless JB and or Brackett go to a confessional we'll never know :lol:  the key to this discussion is their priest :lol:

• Haha 1

There's a real case here that Judd Brackett will be working for another team next year, which absolutely sucks. Brackett should be an assistant GM and left alone, he's proven his worth.

I'm just curious... was Juolevi a Brackett pick or a Benning pick?!? Has anyone ever talked about that. Because that pick seems to be the one big stain on Brackett's resume if it was a Brackett pick.

I don't value JD Burke. Same guy who was criticizing the Miller trade at the time and afterwards. He seems like a guy just love to stir the pot and in order to get fans to think a certain way to get more clicks. However, I do think there are differences in terms between Benning + Weisbrod and Brackett. We don't know who was the brain behind those draft picks in the last few years and we likely never will. All the fans can do is speculate and your best guess is as good as mine. I just hope whatever happens gets sorted out properly and the team can have the same vision/direction when it comes to the draft and the future. I have been really pleased with the Canucks selections from the draft table over the last 3 drafts and would definitely want that strong drafting trend to continue in the future regardless of who is in charge. For me personally, I am in favour of keeping Brackett and let him run the draft table. Since his promotion as a head of amateur scout, the Canucks draft record has been really strong. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, if management sees things differently, there is nothing we as fans can do about it.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

More proof Petterson and Hughes were Scouting picks and not Bennings

I'm gonna need you guys to stop saying 'proof' when talking about a JD Burke radio bit. The guys a &^@#ing tool.

• Thanks 3