The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #48

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #48  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #48 Canuck of All-Time?

This poll is closed to new votes

70s foward Chris Oddleifson was voted the #47 Canuck of all-time, but was closely followed by a bunch of other players. The nominations were spread over a large number of players, and weirdly, Sandlak saw a huge drop in support. Jacob Markstrom ended up taking the win here and was added as a voting option on the poll.

Reminder to both vote and nominate another player to be added as a voting option!

For those of you who haven't seen these kinds of polls before, the way they work is you vote for who you think is the greatest/top Canuck at the position. As for what is meant by "Greatest" or "Top", I will leave that to each individual. I have my own interpretations, but others may define it differently. Worth noting, that I do want to keep this to their tenures with Vancouver and as players, thus a player like Neely would only be considered for his Vancouver time and guys like Quinn and Crawford would only be considered for their playing careers, not their coaching careers.

The List:

#1 - H. Sedin

#2 - D. Sedin

#3 - T. Linden

#4 - P. Bure

#5 - M. Naslund

#6 - S. Smyl

#7 - R. Luongo

#8 - K. McLean

#9 - T. Gradin

#10 - A. Edler

-------------------

#11 - T. Bertuzzi

#12 - M. Ohlund

#13 - R. Brodeur

#14 - A. Burrows

#15 - R. Kesler

#16 - H. Snepsts

#17 - T. Tanti

#18 - A. Mogilny

#19 - J. Lumme

#20 - S. Salo

-------------------

#21 - B. Morrison

#22 - A. Boudrias

#23 - D. Lidster

#24 - K. Bieksa

#25 - C. Ronning

#26 - D. Lever

#27 - D. Kearns

#28 - E. Jovanovski

#29 - P. Sundstrom

#30 - G. Adams

-------------------

#31 - O. Kurtenbach

#32 - P. Skriko

#33 - G. Courtnall

#34 - B. Horvat

#35 - T. Williams

#36 - D. Babych

#37 - G. Odjick

#38 - J. Hansen

#39 - D. Rota

#40 - C. Tanev

-------------------

#41 - G. Butcher

#42 - D. Ververgaert

#43 - D. Hamhuis

#44 - E. Pettersson

#45 - G. Smith

#46 - K. McCarthy

#47 - C. Oddleifson

• Vintage 2

Cooke, he's got more games played than any of the other voting options and it's not particularly close. I put great value on tenure. 

I'm surprised Fraser's getting the support he is while Sandlak isn't even a voting option yet, they had similar numbers but Sandlak played roughly 150 more regular season games as a Canuck. Fraser had 205 points to Sandlak's 221 but I value Sandlak's tenure over Fraser's better point production. 

Sandlak played 509 regular season games as a Canuck, the only voting option who played more than him on the list is Cooke with 566. If you count Cooke's playoff games he's two short of 600 Nuck games. 

Edited by Coconuts

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Cooke, he's got more games played than any of the other voting options and it's not particularly close. I put great value on tenure. 

I'm surprised Fraser's getting the support he is while Sandlak isn't even a voting option yet, they had similar numbers but Sandlak played roughly 150 more regular season games as a Canuck. Fraser had 205 points to Sandlak's 221 but I value Sandlak's tenure over Fraser's better point production. 

Sandlak played 509 regular season games as a Canuck, the only voting option who played more than him on the list is Cooke with 566. If you count Cooke's playoff games he's two short of 600 Nuck games. 

When it comes down to a couple of extra seasons worth of games for players with five or more seasons other things should be considered too.  Leadership (did they wear the A?) Position - top six - middle six - top pairing - top four - playoffs if applicable and ......PGP - Cooke is way down the list ...  below Roussel, Sutter  and LE on the current team for example - Gaudette too.   187th all-time... Murzyn was with the team for most of the 90’s - his body of work stands up easily...Fraser - well 67 points one year - and a top fighter.   Cooke scored 10-14 goals three times - and that’s it.  Lanz scored 18 one year and not many players did what he did offensively for us.  400-566 games played yes there is a difference.  But based on this logic if LE plays another 240 games with us and scores around the same amount - does that make him a top 50 great Canucks too?  Maybe he should be on this list - maybe not - but very good arguments can be made for most of the remaining candidates too. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

When it comes down to a couple of extra seasons worth of games for players with five or more seasons other things should be considered too.  Leadership (did they wear the A?) Position - top six - middle six - top pairing - top four - playoffs if applicable and ......PGP - Cooke is way down the list ...  below Roussel, Sutter  and LE on the current team for example - Gaudette too.   187th all-time... Murzyn was with the team for most of the 90’s - his body of work stands up easily...Fraser - well 67 points one year - and a top fighter.   Cooke scored 10-14 goals three times - and that’s it.  Lanz scored 18 one year and not many players did what he did offensively for us.  400-566 games played yes there is a difference.  But based on this logic if LE plays another 240 games with us and scores around the same amount - does that make him a top 50 great Canucks too?  Maybe he should be on this list - maybe not - but very good arguments can be made for most of the remaining candidates too. 

There are certainly other things to look at, and we all weigh thing differently. 

Sandlak on the other hand scored fifteen goals or more five times and had a season of ten, he even hit twenty in 88-89. Sandlak may not have had the giant season Fraser did, topping out at 40 points, or the 25 and 28 goal seasons; but his productivity and longevity as Canuck combined with his 32 fights (according to hockeyfights) should have him at least on the voting list by now imo. Fraser did have 46 fights, but Sandlak was no shrinking violet either. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Voting Igor Larionov.

Nominating Pat Quinn — the only Canuck in the Ring of Honour that isn’t on the list.

Quinn would get far more consideration from me if his post-playing career counted, but he played only two relatively uneventful seasons in Vancouver and 133 games. Just my two cents.

• Like 1