The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Line combinations for the Canucks in the play-ins and beyond   

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

30 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

Due to injury? Lol the guy is bound to be unlucky again. 

Given Sutter's recent history, there's unfortunately a good chance that he will miss some time.  For Sutter's sake, I hope not.

Personally, I see Green running with (probably covered before in previous posts):

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli (all three can play C and they were very good just before the shutdown)

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser (solid line and allows Boeser to play with two heavier players that might help create space for him to use his shot in a different way from Petey/Miller )

Roussel-Gaudette-Ferland (Gaudette was used with a lot more confidence just before the shutdown so I could see him slotting in here for now.  I don't see him coming out of the line-up.  This gives the Canucks 3 dangerous lines that can score and Gaudette will eventually need to firmly establish his 2-way game anyway.  With two veteran wingers, and one he has already shown chemistry with in Roussel, I think this works)

Motte-Beagle-Sutter (Sutter is insurance for Gaudette and can come out for D-zone draws for Gaudette's line when needed.  Control of the puck is going to be even more important in the playoffs so having Miller, Horvat, Beagle and Sutter available (two lefties and two righties) will give the Canucks way more options if they're not confident with having Gaudette take D-zone draws yet.

MacEwen probably deserves to dress so he could go in for Motte but I think Green will ultimately like Motte's energy and speed.  It could be important for helping slow down guys like Parise and Fiala (who was red hot before the shutdown).  Still, the Wild are a relatively big team so maybe Green will go for MacEwen over Motte though with that being said, Virtanen might actually be a better replacement for Motte than MacEwen due to Virtanen's speed.

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Given Sutter's recent history, there's unfortunately a good chance that he will miss some time.  For Sutter's sake, I hope not.

Personally, I see Green running with (probably covered before in previous posts):

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli (all three can play C and they were very good just before the shutdown)

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser (solid line and allows Boeser to play with two heavier players that might help create space for him to use his shot in a different way from Petey/Miller )

Roussel-Gaudette-Ferland (Gaudette was used with a lot more confidence just before the shutdown so I could see him slotting in here for now.  I don't see him coming out of the line-up.  This gives the Canucks 3 dangerous lines that can score and Gaudette will eventually need to firmly establish his 2-way game anyway.  With two veteran wingers, and one he has already shown chemistry with in Roussel, I think this works)

Motte-Beagle-Sutter (Sutter is insurance for Gaudette and can come out for D-zone draws for Gaudette's line when needed.  Control of the puck is going to be even more important in the playoffs so having Miller, Horvat, Beagle and Sutter available (two lefties and two righties) will give the Canucks way more options if they're not confident with having Gaudette take D-zone draws yet.

MacEwen probably deserves to dress so he could go in for Motte but I think Green will ultimately like Motte's energy and speed.  It could be important for helping slow down guys like Parise and Fiala (who was red hot before the shutdown).  Still, the Wild are a relatively big team so maybe Green will go for MacEwen over Motte though with that being said, Virtanen might actually be a better replacement for Motte than MacEwen due to Virtanen's speed.

I agree with your lineup except I think gaudette might be outside looking in for game 1, Sutter in 3 spot, Ferland starting 4th line and virt 3rd line potentially switching if Ferland shows up. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle

17 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Personally, I'd go with:

Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

MacEwen

Sutter

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Myers

Fantenberg

4th line is rock solid defensively and 3rd line can generate a ton of energy with some offense.  Prefer Benn in the playoffs for some size.

I wouldn't change much on your lineup.  Anyone slips up, or we need to mix up the lineup, MacEwen slides right in.  

Miller Petey Toffoli

Pearson Bo Boeser

Roussel Gaud Virtanen

Motte Beagle Sutter

I've been critical of Jake, but I think he slots in for game 1. Part of that is because minnesota is not great offensively and we dont need the 3rd line to play amazing defense. If we lose game 1 and he isnt the best player on the ice, I could see him being taken out.

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Fanta Stetch

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Roussel-Gaudette-Ferland

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Stecher

I do feel Gaudette starts. It helps give the 3rd line scoring ability, transitioning to more a 3offensive-1defensive setup. I think this lends itself well to playing against a highly defensive Wild team.

First callup (if one wishes to call.it that) is Zach for the bottom 2 lines, Jake for the top 2. I feel Green will be fluid with his lineups right after game 1 if we don't win... ranging from massaging the lines to switching to a callup. I particularly believe we will see tinkering on the bottom 2 lines early in the series unless we manage to really take it to the Wild as originally designed.

Not sure who the callup would be on D, given Benn is gone, but also expect Green to tinker here too. He chose a couple young blueliners to take to the bubble and I expect at least one of them to be played - possibly in favour of Fanta.

I think Macs, demeanor and hunger gives him an edge over JV, not much  a drop off for that reason, and both will sit 1st game (prob. Gaud too)

I think Green goes with more Vets in Sutter, LE, Ferland, Motte, Beagle, Rousell  to start the 1st game, and change up depending on how they played that game

Talking with friend he said JV reminds him of Baby Huey (I had to google myself) and likes someone who is more serious ,committed and embraces the role better

What I want:

Miller - Pettersson - Toffoli 

Pearson - Horvat - Boeser

Roussel - Gaudette - Ferland

Motte - Beagle - MacEwen

What we will actually get:

Roussel - Gaudette - Sutter

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, J-23 said:

What I want:

Roussel - Gaudette - Ferland

Motte - Beagle - MacEwen

What we will actually get:

Roussel - Gaudette - Sutter

Motte - Beagle - Eriksson

Good lines.

I think Ferland is pretty much in at this point however.   

Sutter or Eriksson will get that 4th line RW spot in my opinion (likely Sutter since he can play well defensively and can also shift to center)

• Huggy Bear 1

8 hours ago, AK_19 said:

I think we need to keep in mind the team we are facing. It doesn't make sense to have a pure shutdown line when there really isn't any high end offensive players on their team. Their offensive strength is in their depth. The other issue is to key in on their weak PK. I don't think its a good idea to weaken that excellent second PP group we have which has players like Gaudette and Virtanen there. 

fair points, for sure.  However, Sutter will likely put up comparable numbers as Gaud, plus you get the strong defensive play.  Sutter is no slouch offensively

4 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Good lines.

I think Ferland is pretty much in at this point however.   

Sutter or Eriksson will get that 4th line RW spot in my opinion (likely Sutter since he can play well defensively and can also shift to center)

Ferland and MacEwen both had good camps. Third line wing will more than likely go to Ferland. 4th would be Sutter. Virtanen, Big Mac and Eriksson the guys out.

On 7/28/2020 at 12:22 PM, King Heffy said:

Personally, I'd go with:

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

MacEwen

Sutter

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Tanev

Benn-Myers

Fantenberg

4th line is rock solid defensively and 3rd line can generate a ton of energy with some offense.  Prefer Benn in the playoffs for some size.

The only thing I will change is to put Sutter instead of Gauds as Sutter is a veteran who has played in the playoffs before. Better defensively than Gauds and around the same scorer.

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson (shut down line)

Roussel-Pettersson-Boeser (scoring line)

Ferland-Miller-Toffoli (a line that can score, is defensively responsible, and can win face-offs)

Virtanen-Beagle-MacEwen (a fast and physical 4th line that can possibly score).

Edler-Myers

Hughes-Tanev

Juolevi-Stecher (playoff atmosphere is good for OJ’s long term development)

Markstrom

Demko

rooting for our team regardless of how they line up and likely not the time to experiment.  That said, part of being a fan is watching how the guys are going, mixing in a bit of dream and lining up the team. Shake it up shocker, play to win, roll skill, size and speed

gaudette   pettersson   boeser   -  may not win a faceoff, but will take the puck back anyways and score
ferland   miller   tofolli   -  veteran pride
pearson   horvat   macewan   -  big mac not going to overthink it.
motte   beagle  virtanen  -  wings gonna fly

Honestly, I’d just switch Toffoli and Boeser and keep things as is.   Only thing I might do differently is insert Eriksson and Virtanen instead of Motte and Sutter so that the Canucks have more possible scoring options.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser (a legit scoring line.   It’s early, but Boeser has looked more dangerous than TT so far in terms of training camp and their game against the Jets).

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli (if this is the match-up line, then TT is far better suited to playing a two way shut down role than the offensive minded Boeser).

Roussel-Gaudette-Ferland (the two perfect linemates for Gaudette.  Both are physical and defensively responsible enough to minimize Gaudette’s weaknesses, while both men also have enough offensive skills to complement Gaudette’s offensive abilities)

Eriksson-Beagle-Virtanen (Virtanen and Beagle would bring speed here while Eriksson and Beagle would bring things from a defensive standpoint).   

The Canucks would sacrifice a little defensively here but not a whole lot (is a downgrade from Motte to Eriksson really all that big?  What about Sutter to Virtanen).  However, if the Canucks received an in-game injury to one of their top 6 forwards, guys like Eriksson and Virtanen could easily slot in.  

Edited by DarkIndianRises