The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

On 1/19/2022 at 5:38 PM, bishopshodan said:

I've been up and down with Mas. I didn't like that he got into political crap for a bit but this article has made me like him once more. Really liked what he said about influencing young people with the garbage trash talk. Hope he can pull off the tough task against the MAGA /WWE persona opponent. 

Jorge Masvidal can’t wait to say ‘I told you, b*tch’ after Chael Sonnen’s ‘career-ending fight’ quip

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/1/19/22892118/jorge-masvidal-cant-wait-to-say-i-told-you-b-tch-after-chael-sonnens-career-ending-fight-quipgh 

I hope he can pull it off but I expect he gets mauled. 

15 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Tomorrow's PPV might be the worst that I can remember. Only the main event is of interest to me really.  Moreno should is good but otherwise to be charging over $70 for this? Nope. ESPN+ just asking for people to stream. 

No kiddin

When you have the heavy weight championship on the line, It should be the biggest of events. Moreno and Fig, will be a banger but we've all seen it.

UFC is crap these days. They're closer to boxing with the drama of WWE than ever before.

Everyone's favourite Ariel Helwani has suggested there could be a mass exodus of stars from UFC in the next year. The contracts are too confining and undervalued for what some of these dudes could get elsewhere. Prize fighting is the name of the game. Rankings and seeing the most talented fights are a thing of the past. 

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

No kiddin

When you have the heavy weight championship on the line, It should be the biggest of events. Moreno and Fig, will be a banger but we've all seen it.

UFC is crap these days. They're closer to boxing with the drama of WWE than ever before.

Everyone's favourite Ariel Helwani has suggested there could be a mass exodus of stars from UFC in the next year. The contracts are too confining and undervalued for what some of these dudes could get elsewhere. Prize fighting is the name of the game. Rankings and seeing the most talented fights are a thing of the past. 

Oh yeah. It is now all about the spectacle. Almost how PrideFC was in Japan with freakshow fights. 

If Tyronne Woodly can make millions to go fight Jake Paul you know many others are salivating at the prospect. 

22 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Anyone have link to eaglefc 44

Won't let me sign up on FXLcast.  Keeps telling me invalid email. 

is that today?

nm, it is.

Crap, I can't help you . none of my usual places seem to have it.

I'll Dm  you later if I find one. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 1

Pretty good show for first time in US. They'll work some kinks out and progress. 

Khabib has the Arab money behind him in this endeavor. Saudis own part of UFC.

Chael Kumaru Tripple C did a great job. 

Looks like Eagle FC is setting itself to be the minor leagues for the UFC. 

Good first show. It will get better as the production team gains experience. 

On 1/29/2022 at 11:02 AM, bishopshodan said:

is that today?

nm, it is.

Crap, I can't help you . none of my usual places seem to have it.

I'll Dm  you later if I find one. 

I know you are a martial artist as am l.

Watched The Grandmaster a few days ago, Tony Leung plays 

Ip man.

I have also seen all the Ip man movies in which Donny Chen plays Ip man.

In real life in his prime Ip man lived through some interesting times in the martial arts world of China and Hong Kong. 

I often wonder how those grandmasters would stack up against today's MMA fighters.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I know you are a martial artist as am l.

Watched The Grandmaster a few days ago, Tony Leung plays 

Ip man.

I have also seen all the Ip man movies in which Donny Chen plays Ip man.

In real life in his prime Ip man lived through some interesting times in the martial arts world of China and Hong Kong. 

I often wonder how those grandmasters would stack up against today's MMA fighters.

Talented driven people are just that, talented and driven.

Classic martial arts would not directly convert to the modern day sport that is MMA, anymore. However, if the training and tech was available to some of the grandmasters some how. Why couldn't they be good in the cage? 

Kinda like, I never play the GOAT game as things are soo different as time goes by but if all things were considered equal, why couldnt the greats of one time be successful in another? If that makes sense? 

What types of martial arts have you trained?

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Talented driven people are just that, talented and driven.

Classic martial arts would not directly convert to the modern day sport that is MMA, anymore. However, if the training and tech was available to some of the grandmasters some how. Why couldn't they be good in the cage? 

Kinda like, I never play the GOAT game as things are soo different as time goes by but if all things were considered equal, why couldnt the greats of one time be successful in another? If that makes sense? 

What types of martial arts have you trained?

Started with boxing at 12,I know this is not a martial art however I wanted to lay a good foundation for street fighting.

Karate at 15 and trained up to brown belt level.

Judo for 4 years from 18 ,learning to grapple and turn defense into offense. 

Put all of these into practice with like minded people around Melbourne streets from my late teens to my mid 20's. 

Then as you know my life changed and I became a ski- bum. 

Hanging around a lot of snowboarder/ surfers when Brazilian jiu-jitsu became all the rage so I trained for 4 summers with a buddy. 

He won a few Victorian amateur titles in his weight division.

By then I had no desire to put it into practice.

I liked the mental training even more than the physical side though that was the reason I started, wanted the flexibility for my skiing.

I was starting to get old...er.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Started with boxing at 12,I know this is not a martial art however I wanted to lay a good foundation for street fighting.

Karate at 15 and trained up to brown belt level.

Judo for 4 years from 18 ,learning to grapple and turn defense into offense. 

Put all of these into practice with like minded people around Melbourne streets from my late teens to my mid 20's. 

Then as you know my life changed and I became a ski- bum. 

Hanging around a lot of snowboarder/ surfers when Brazilian jiu-jitsu became all the rage so I trained for 4 summers with a buddy. 

He won a few Victorian amateur titles in his weight division.

By then I had no desire to put it into practice.

I liked the mental training even more than the physical side though that was the reason I started, wanted the flexibility for my skiing.

I was starting to get old...er.

Thats a great combo of styles.

I bet you had some fun, blood, sweat and tears.

i lived in Vancouver for 20+ years. I was lucky to compete, train and rub elbows with some fantastic martial artists.

I competed until I was 35. I miss it quite a bit.

I'm getting older too. I don't train martial arts like I used to. I am more of a gym rat these days working on full body conditioning 6 days a week and loving it.

That said, there is a little voice inside my head that wants to focus on grappling. I never competed in grappling, only trained it. There is a great bjj gym near by. I may find myself walking in there one day. I think it is an art that even at 47 I can potentially get my competitive urge satisfied. I know a fella that started doing tournaments at 58.

If that day ever comes I will post my progress. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Thats a great combo of styles.

I bet you had some fun, blood, sweat and tears.

i lived in Vancouver for 20+ years. I was lucky to compete, train and rub elbows with some fantastic martial artists.

I competed until I was 35. I miss it quite a bit.

I'm getting older too. I don't train martial arts like I used to. I am more of a gym rat these days working on full body conditioning 6 days a week and loving it.

That said, there is a little voice inside my head that wants to focus on grappling. I never competed in grappling, only trained it. There is a great bjj gym near by. I may find myself walking in there one day. I think it is an art that even at 47 I can potentially get my competitive urge satisfied. I know a fella that started doing tournaments at 58.

If that day ever comes I will post my progress. 

I wrestled, did karate, muay thai and BJJ into my late 20s. Had to quit though as my body just couldn't handle it anymore. BJJ is amazing but also incredibly rough on you. It beat me up worse than muay thai once I was rolling with people at a higher level as I progressed. But hey Ed O'Neil got his black belt in his 60s :)

4 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I wrestled, did karate, muay thai and BJJ into my late 20s. Had to quit though as my body just couldn't handle it anymore. BJJ is amazing but also incredibly rough on you. It beat me up worse than muay thai once I was rolling with people at a higher level as I progressed. But hey Ed O'Neil got his black belt in his 60s :)

I think I remember you mentioning that you competed in Muay Thai. That is tough stuff. Have a few close friends that have as well. Actually my gym partner was quite successful, used to also do those tough man comps. 

I did some wrestling when i was a teen and used to do some classes called 'grappling for mma' with an mma/ shanshou group. I loved it, sparring with take downs and rolling.

I boxed as a kid and karate.

Went back to Karate hard as I turned 30, got my blackbelt and competed for years, trained with team BC but never got to go to the nationals. I would spar a lot with my mma and Muay Thai friends. One had keys to an mma gym on Granville so we would spar into the wee hours of the morning. They loved having me there, Machida was the UFC champ at the time and everyone wanted to bring karate guys in so I enjoyed using my tricks and they enjoyed making me puke with their work effort. 

I know bjj would be a challenge. I am trying to get into peak shape in the last couple years so that if i decide to do it, I can hopefully endure. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I think I remember you mentioning that you competed in Muay Thai. That is tough stuff. Have a few close friends that have as well. Actually my gym partner was quite successful, used to also do those tough man comps. 

I did some wrestling when i was a teen and used to do some classes called 'grappling for mma' with an mma/ shanshou group. I loved it, sparring with take downs and rolling.

I boxed as a kid and karate.

Went back to Karate hard as I turned 30, got my blackbelt and competed for years, trained with team BC but never got to go to the nationals. I would spar a lot with my mma and Muay Thai friends. One had keys to an mma gym on Granville so we would spar into the wee hours of the morning. They loved having me there, Machida was the UFC champ at the time and everyone wanted to bring karate guys in so I enjoyed using my tricks and they enjoyed making me puke with their work effort. 

I know bjj would be a challenge. I am trying to get into peak shape in the last couple years so that if i decide to do it, I can hopefully endure. 

Ya I did some amateur fights in early 20s. Nothing serious though. I wrestles in nationals at 16 though. Got smoked! :bigblush:

A friend's family were from Thailand and Laos. His dad trained us a bit and then other family after and also went to another gym. 

As for Machida that 'era' ended quick! I was way more of a PrideFC guy when that rivalry was going and was a massive Shogun fan. Made some huge money on that card on Shogun over Machida in the rematch (he won the 1st imo too...lol) and especially Dos Santos over Werdum :)

I miss that era of the UFC. 

49 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Ya I did some amateur fights in early 20s. Nothing serious though. I wrestles in nationals at 16 though. Got smoked! :bigblush:

A friend's family were from Thailand and Laos. His dad trained us a bit and then other family after and also went to another gym. 

As for Machida that 'era' ended quick! I was way more of a PrideFC guy when that rivalry was going and was a massive Shogun fan. Made some huge money on that card on Shogun over Machida in the rematch (he won the 1st imo too...lol) and especially Dos Santos over Werdum :)

I miss that era of the UFC. 

I miss that era too. 

My gym partner has a house in Thailand. He says it's another world for training over there.

Dont you be knocking the influence of karate as a base style in MMA!  :P

Check this list.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-ufc-karate-fighters-ever/pedro-cerrano