The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

People really do not understand the damage this athletes can do. I remembering helping a friend train for a novice MMA fight. His leg kicks were deadly. The average guy getting hit by a trained leg kick would go down thinking they got shot in the leg. Even having a kick pad to help absorb the kick you still have to time the kick and allow your leg to move with the kick or you have a bruise on your leg. Nothing but respect to this athletes and they keep getting better every year.  

• Cheers 1

On 2/13/2022 at 6:54 AM, Van40 said:

Didn't think Izzy should of won by unanimous. 

Also would be cool if UFC offered some crazy bonuses to fighers who finish fights. Would be much more entertaining. 

PrideFC had it right there. Bonuses for finishes and deductions for stalling. Also knees and kicks on the ground.  Stomps were a bit much but loved it nonetheless.

Also no elbows on the ground resulted in more finishes from fighter on the bottom. However, the game has grown so much since then I don't know if that would still be the case. 

On 2/21/2022 at 5:58 PM, vancan2233 said:

People really do not understand the damage this athletes can do. I remembering helping a friend train for a novice MMA fight. His leg kicks were deadly. The average guy getting hit by a trained leg kick would go down thinking they got shot in the leg. Even having a kick pad to help absorb the kick you still have to time the kick and allow your leg to move with the kick or you have a bruise on your leg. Nothing but respect to this athletes and they keep getting better every year.  

I did muay thai for years and a properly done kick to the lower leg or quad is vicious. Especially if someone isn't prepared for it. It was one of the things I was better at. Positioning the back foot and using the torque from your hips to snap the kicking leg was something I worked on a lot. I used to scrap a fair bit for a few years with tourists. My friends were a rough lot back then haha..   Snapping a kick into someone's leg resulted in a lot of 'ok we're done here' moments.

It was something that wasn't done in MMA much for years (Shogun was ahead of the game there in mid 2000s) along with a proper jab (Bj Penn and GSP showed the value in MMA before most). Both are now two of the biggest things you need when standing. 

5 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

I did muay thai for years and a properly done kick to the lower leg or quad is vicious. Especially if someone isn't prepared for it. It was one of the things I was better at. Positioning the back foot and using the torque from your hips to snap the kicking leg was something I worked on a lot. I used to scrap a fair bit for a few years with tourists. My friends were a rough lot back then haha..   Snapping a kick into someone's leg resulted in a lot of 'ok we're done here' moments.

It was something that wasn't done in MMA much for years (Shogun was ahead of the game there in mid 2000s) along with a proper jab (Bj Penn and GSP showed the value in MMA before most). Both are now two of the biggest things you need when standing. 

Landing a quick leg kick like a snapping jab, will stop a lot of power punchers from getting their strong punch off. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, 250Integra said:

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/33407302/cain-velasquez-former-ufc-heavyweight-champion-charged-attempted-murder

Absolute shocker but I can see why he did it. Pedofiles have no place in this world. Apparently it was his 4 year old daughter…

Tough situation.

I would have done the same if reports are true.

#FreeCain

Edited by bishopshodan

7 hours ago, 250Integra said:

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/33407302/cain-velasquez-former-ufc-heavyweight-champion-charged-attempted-murder

Absolute shocker but I can see why he did it. Pedofiles have no place in this world. Apparently it was his 4 year old daughter…

I get why he did it, but now you've separated yourself from your daughter at a time when a child needs her dad the most. Trying to kill someone isn't going to make your daughter feel better. I'm certainly not blaming Cain, because I have no idea how I'd react in this situation, but I know for sure that this was the wrong decision. Not because someone who repeatedly sexually abuses children doesn't deserve that sort of thing, but because now you can't be there for your kid. 

6 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I get why he did it, but now you've separated yourself from your daughter at a time when a child needs her dad the most. Trying to kill someone isn't going to make your daughter feel better. I'm certainly not blaming Cain, because I have no idea how I'd react in this situation, but I know for sure that this was the wrong decision. Not because someone who repeatedly sexually abuses children doesn't deserve that sort of thing, but because now you can't be there for your kid. 

Perhaps not an innocent bystander he shot, but when you try and shoot someone for a just cause but end up shooting someone else, that is not okay.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Has Covington always come out to Kurt Angle's music?

Think he has in the past, also thought maybe he came out to Rocky too but might be wrong.

Was never a doubt Colby would win tonight, would take a KO by Jorge and I think he just doesn't have it anymore against the cream of the crop. Why would Colby call out Porier who was once a featherweight and is lightweight, money fight I guess? Should he not be calling for a rematch against the champ!?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Think he has in the past, also thought maybe he came out to Rocky too but might be wrong.

Was never a doubt Colby would win tonight, would take a KO by Jorge and I think he just doesn't have it anymore against the cream of the crop. Why would Colby call out Porier who was once a featherweight and is lightweight, money fight I guess? Should he not be calling for a rematch against the champ!?

I'd think money fight. Only other thing I can think is Covington seeing Porier as the most beloved American fighter & wanting to be that guy. (given hes coming out with a US flag to KA's music, & also referenced which state both Masvidal & Porier were from post-fight)

Maybe I'm overthinking the alternate & it's purely about money, but Covington does seem like an odd character.

That was one of the worst PPV events in recent memory. The biggest reason was the amount of ad reads. Including ad reads mid-round. Nothing takes the intensity out of a fight like Anik promoting some $&!#ty Michael Bay movie.

Hardy gives no resistance and gets KO'd. The HW division gets no more interesting. 

Barboza does against a wrestler/grappler what he has done his entire career against wrestlers/grapplers. Never seen someone so willing to accept a bad position. 

RDA knocks Moicano around and takes pity on him in the 5th round of what should have been a 3 round fight. 

Covington treats Masvidal the way everyone and their dog expected. Despite Colby winning, he's still behind 2-3 guys for another title shot (Edwards, Luque, winner of Burns/Chimaev)

• 2 weeks later...

BIg, Big, I mean BIG "boxing match" on today at 4:30 Eastern Time.

The Mountain versus the Beast

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/boxing/what-channel-is-hafthor-bjornsson-vs-eddie-hall-on-how-to-watch-the-mountain-vs-the-beast-boxing-match/ar-AAV94jm?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

"image.png.498b19aa683a850b3844d9593e6cc496.png

One of the biggest fights in combat sports history, literally and figuratively, will take place Saturday inside the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium. Hafthor "Thor" Bjornsson, known as "The Mountain" from the "Game of Thrones" TV series, will face off against strongman Eddie Hall in a boxing match.

Bjornsson is a former basketball player who later competed in strongman competitions for Iceland. In 2020, he surpassed the strongman deadlift record of 500 kilograms (1,102 pounds) with a mark of 1,105 pounds, breaking Hall's record. That was done in Bjornsson's home gym in Iceland, which made Hall argue the legitimacy of the record.

"Thor" won the 2018 World's Strongest Man competition, and has won numerous records since 2012.

Winner of the 2017 World's Strongest Man competition, Hall was Britain's Strongest Man for five straight years. He holds the record for the Log Lift competition at 470 pounds, and holding 1,021 pounds via the deadlift with straps.

The fight will be a six-round heavyweight bout. A bout between the two was supposed to take place in 2021, but Hall had to back out after suffering a detached retina. Now the two rivals will finally settle their differences.

MORE: Boxing Schedule 2022: Date, division, location for upcoming fights

The Sporting News has you covered with all the information you need to watch the fight on Saturday, including channel, time and location.

How to watch Hafthor Bjornsson vs. Eddie Hall

• Segi TV

The only way to watch Hall vs. Bjornsson is through the Segi TV website. There is no registration needed and you can watch the fight for free.

Core Sports, the promotion behind the matchup, has been and will be releasing content related to the fight on its social channels.

What time does Hafthor Bjornsson vs. Eddie Hall start?

• Date: Saturday, March 19
  • Bjornsson vs. Hall: 4:30 p.m. ET

Bjornsson will face off against Hall on March 19. Both men will make their way to the ring around 4:30 p.m. ET. No other bouts will be televised.

MORE: Five men face murder charges in Hector "Macho" Camacho shooting death

Where is Bjornsson vs. Hall taking place?

Bjornsson and Hall are scheduled to fight inside the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium in the United Arab Emirates. The stadium can hold about 5,000-6,000 fans.

• 2 weeks later...