The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

Just in case Vancouverites thought we were done with the snow, looks like we could be getting another big dump this coming Wednesday night.

Forecasts right now are calling for around 20cm of snow Wednesday night. And at temperatures just around freezing (and turning to mixed rain and snow by the morning), it could be the really wet, sticky stuff we’re used to, instead of that fluffy, fine powder we got during the cold snap.

ED88D7E7-F811-47E2-9307-9971AFD13966.thumb.jpeg.3ed0439b861858e33fc1076828a6b151.jpeg

We’ll see if the weather models hold true, but it’s shaping up for an ugly commute for folks heading to work on Thursday morning (or a fun one, depending on your vehicle and how much you enjoy driving in wet snow). 

On the plus side, should be perfect snowman making and snowball fight snow for the kids on extended break from school (and any bigger “kids” who still have vacation time left over, or might be calling in “sick” on Thursday ;)).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Winter storm watch for Metro Vancouver:

Winter storm watch in effect for:

• Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
  • Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley
  • Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta

10 to 20 cm of snow Wednesday night and Thursday.

Timespan: Wednesday evening to midday Thursday.

Locations: Metro Vancouver, Greater Victoria, Fraser Valley, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast, Southern Gulf Islands, East Vancouver Island, Inland Vancouver Island, Sea-to-Sky Highway, Malahat Highway

Threat: Rapidly accumulating snow, possibly affecting the Thursday morning commute. There is a risk of freezing rain for the Fraser Valley.

Remarks: A low pressure system is forecast to approach the B.C. coast later Wednesday. Due to the recent cold temperatures, snow will develop Wednesday evening with snowfall accumulation ranging from 10 to 20 cm by midday Thursday.

Rapidly accumulating snow could make travel difficult over some locations. Travel is expected to be hazardous due to reduced visibility in some locations. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become icy and slippery. There may be a significant impact on rush hour traffic in urban areas.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/01/04/vancouver-roads-snow-bus-delays-roads/

I won't bother posting the article, because the formatting is problematic to try and clean up.  However, suffice it to say that if the transit authority bothered to spend a bit of money to get better tires, winter-appropriate tires for the buses, much of this could have been avoided.  It hasn't been reported for a couple of years, but from what I recall, they're at best running newer "all-seasons", but more likely they are running tires that are pretty much bald from over-usage/penny-pinching.  :picard:

...and people wonder why public transit isn't used more often.  :picard:  Almost as if reliability and dependable service doesn't matter.  :picard:

What a joke trying to blame the city! Yesterday I had to spend $50 on a Lyft home and there were 20 other people at the stop getting soaked. I’ve bribed a friend with a Subaru for a ride in tomorrow.

It snows here, snow tires are a thing. Today’s bus wouldn’t stop at any uphill stops and could not pull to the curb because of the 1” of snow. It stopped (after skidding around 10’ or so everytime) on a slight downhill in the middle of traffic with a large step down to the ground. Stay home if you have any mobility issues.

• Vintage 1

Took me 2 hours to get from Langley to Chilliwack this morning.  The ice on the roads around the Mt Lehman exit stretch was nuts.  We were going about 5 km/h.  So much ice between 216th and McCallum this morning.  Hopefully it's better when it's time to go home.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Took me 2 hours to get from Langley to Chilliwack this morning.  The ice on the roads around the Mt Lehman exit stretch was nuts.  We were going about 5 km/h.  So much ice between 216th and McCallum this morning.  Hopefully it's better when it's time to go home.

Tomorrow might be worse.  Radio saying 15 to 20 cm of snow all over tonight.  No scooter for me.  

On 12/27/2021 at 7:41 PM, Bure_of_94 said:

Got to see what -51 with the wind chill feels like last night at work. Ended up spending about 10 hrs of a 16 hr shift in it :sick::sadno:

Holy (expletive deleted)! If you don't mind me asking, what were you doing in that ungodly weather? And what was it like to work in that?

2 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I’m an industrial electrician, currently working in the forest industry in a mill. A bunch of our anti-fire/explosion devices failed. And they fail open... so the only way to reset them is to go physically force the relays by hand(jumper and screw driver).  
 But it was sooo cold that sometimes I had to get a come-a-long and get one of the kids to crank on it...  had to do this 80 times. Sometimes 20’ in the air, sometimes 133’ in the air.  And how it felt was awful. I have winter gear that’s good until -35... but that wind hits you completely different. I couldn't feel my legs, hands or face for about 4 days. And now it still burns. As for pain it’s the 3rd most painful thing I’ve ever felt after kidney stones and getting high voltage shocked. 

Holy crap, I hope you get well compensated for that kinda work.  That sounds extreme!

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I’m an industrial electrician, currently working in the forest industry in a mill. A bunch of our anti-fire/explosion devices failed. And they fail open... so the only way to reset them is to go physically force the relays by hand(jumper and screw driver).  
 But it was sooo cold that sometimes I had to get a come-a-long and get one of the kids to crank on it...  had to do this 80 times. Sometimes 20’ in the air, sometimes 133’ in the air.  And how it felt was awful. I have winter gear that’s good until -35... but that wind hits you completely different. I couldn't feel my legs, hands or face for about 4 days. And now it still burns. As for pain it’s the 3rd most painful thing I’ve ever felt after kidney stones and getting high voltage shocked.

You should get paid about $5000/hr to do a job like that.....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bure_of_94 said:

Crazy stuff. Thank you for sharing. I hope you're feeling better now. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Holy crap, I hope you get well compensated for that kinda work.  That sounds extreme!

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You should get paid about $5000/hr to do a job like that.....

It’s just over $52/hr+ benefits. 

that night it worked out to almost $180/hr.

• Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Crazy stuff. Thank you for sharing. I hope you're feeling better now. 

Thank you, yes everything kind of burns and my hands feel arthritic lol but the last few nights went much better.. lots of inside jobs. Now a week off and hopefully some Canucks games. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I hope you bought some damned good whiskey to help warm you up.....

I would have but I’m going through a rough patch right now in my personal life and I recognize booze can be a slippery slope for me. But I’m open to suggestions of a good whiskey when I’m in a better way. 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1