The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

On 12/24/2021 at 10:52 AM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

For a moment there, I misread that as "should have been publicly executed".  :blink:

To your point though - the bridge design itself is a good design, but the problem is that when they designed it, the likelihood of snow events resulting in accumulations enough for the subsequent "snow bombs/ice bombs" to appear were very unlikely.  This bridge's designers' malignment is very much a result of climate change, and I'm sure as other infrastructure start to demonstrate unsuitability towards the changing climate we're experiencing, their designers too will be vilified for operational changes that were completely unforeseen (or highly unlikely) when they were putting together their projects.

I laugh how people think they didn't. But imagine you had an alternate design that say included a very expensive heating system or an alternate non cable stayed design that cost hundreds of millions more, or the current design. Option A never closes. Option B closes for a day or two every couple of years at worse. Guess which option the accountants that run everything are going to pick?

Imagine the political hay the opposition would make for a while elephant Option A being picked when it more or less never snows in Vancouver, and in the odd time it does, everyone just stays home that day anyways?

If you want things built right you have to change societies expectations. Good luck with that.

3 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The accountants are the easy targets, but at the end of the day, they only work with the numbers and present their findings; it's the decision makers (usually elected officials, or appointees of elected officials) who make the direct decision and - whether you consider it directly or indirectly - the voting public (and usually the vocally active voting public) that influence the decision.  And just like how politicians are looking out for #1, generally speaking the vocally active voting public is looking out for their pocketbook.  ie. "don't tax me bro!"

At the end of the day, people forget that you ultimately get what you pay for, and will gravitate away from the "higher price-tag long-term value" option in favour of the "smaller up-front price tag short-term fix that requires a lot of additional support work" option. :picard:

The public is financially illiterate, which is why it's so easy to pull the wool over their eyes. Just ask your average person what an RRSP is as an example.....

Or their plans for paying their mortgage if interest rates rose.....

Or if a kitchen reno is a "good investment"......

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The accountants are the easy targets, but at the end of the day, they only work with the numbers and present their findings; it's the decision makers (usually elected officials, or appointees of elected officials) who make the direct decision and - whether you consider it directly or indirectly - the voting public (and usually the vocally active voting public) that influence the decision.  And just like how politicians are looking out for #1, generally speaking the vocally active voting public is looking out for their pocketbook.  ie. "don't tax me bro!"

At the end of the day, people forget that you ultimately get what you pay for, and will gravitate away from the "higher price-tag long-term value" option in favour of the "smaller up-front price tag short-term fix that requires a lot of additional support work" option. :picard:

I can live with the support work as long as it's done locally to generate jobs.

7 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Come on.

We go from hellfire hot summer to this?

image.png

Get used to it. We have a climate emergency coming extreme weather is happening even in mild Vancouver.

Extreme heat, extreme cold, extreme rain, extreme wind.

We have had just about a taste of it all this year am I missing anything?

How about some extreme fog or hail for good measure...

"Global warming" is now "climate change".

Frozen pipe this morn at the pump house.

Then the fuse went for the pump because I over loaded the outlet using the hairdryer on the pipe.Oh and it is one of those 125v ancient glass fuses.

Amazingly, my old garage has relics from the first owner of the house and I found a little tub of fuses. One worked. We have running water again. 

Keep trying weather, you cant stop me!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Frozen pipe this morn at the pump house.

Then the fuse went for the pump because I over loaded the outlet using the hairdryer on the pipe.Oh and it is one of those 125v ancient glass fuses.

Amazingly, my old garage has relics from the first owner of the house and I found a little tub of fuses. One worked. We have running water again. 

Keep trying weather, you cant stop me!

When I was younger, my folks managed a trailer park up here in Powell River.

In Sept we crawl under a couple of rental cabins and insulate all the pipes.

On Christmas morning we get a call from one of the cabins, "No water".

We go take a look and figure, maybe the water line between the two cabins is frozen, and dig it up.

Side note- underground water line should have been a straight 15 foot piece; but was about 25 feet long and was shaped like a horseshoe. Guess they didn't have a pipe cutter.

After a a couple hours of thawing the pipe, still no water.

Go get the keys for the empty cabin, as the renter had gone to the states for Christmas , to check if that cabin had water and walked into a completely frigid house.

Buddy had turned off the heat, as he was going to be away. The pipes froze from inside his place, to almost into the neighbours cabin.

But that was still a better day than the two blocked septic tank stories out at my Grandpa's- also on Christmas days.   :)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

When I was younger, my folks managed a trailer park up here in Powell River.

In Sept we crawl under a couple of rental cabins and insulate all the pipes.

On Christmas morning we get a call from one of the cabins, "No water".

We go take a look and figure, maybe the water line between the two cabins is frozen, and dig it up.

Side note- underground water line should have been a straight 15 foot piece; but was about 25 feet long and was shaped like a horseshoe. Guess they didn't have a pipe cutter.

After a a couple hours of thawing the pipe, still no water.

Go get the keys for the empty cabin, as the renter had gone to the states for Christmas , to check if that cabin had water and walked into a completely frigid house.

Buddy had turned off the heat, as he was going to be away. The pipes froze from inside his place, to almost into the neighbours cabin.

But that was still a better day than the two blocked septic tank stories out at my Grandpa's- also on Christmas days.   :)

Wow. that's some effort. Yes, septic systems at this time of year need to be watched too with all the guests etc.. Found out the hard way an aunt from England liked to put her face wipes down the toilet once. 

I re-insulated today's frozen pipe and we are making sure to have a faucet running just a bit. We forgot last night and obviously paid for it today. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Get used to it. We have a climate emergency coming extreme weather is happening even in mild Vancouver.

Extreme heat, extreme cold, extreme rain, extreme wind.

We have had just about a taste of it all this year am I missing anything?

How about some extreme fog or hail for good measure...

"Global warming" is now "climate change".

This is something many people don't seem to comprehend.

Global warming has always been Climate change.

This translates to extreme weather events that happen on a regular basis.

• Cheers 2

Special weather statement for Metro Vancouver:

Special weather statement in effect for:

• Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
  • Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley
  • Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta

Heavy snow expected beginning Wednesday evening.

Snowfall accumulation: 5 to 10 cm.

Locations: Vancouver Island, Southern Gulf Islands, Sunshine Coast, Howe Sound, Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.

Timespan: Wednesday evening through Thursday morning.

Remarks: A storm system will move across the south coast of B.C. Wednesday night. With ample cold air in place, this system will result in widespread snow beginning Wednesday evening and tapering off Thursday morning.

The current forecast suggests widespread 5 to 10 cm of snow is likely. However, there is the potential for locally heavier amounts particularly over the Sunshine Coast, North Shore Mountains, and parts of Vancouver Island. Please continue to monitor your local forecast for the latest details.

Visibility may be impacted in heavy snow and quickly accumulating snow may make travel difficult.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42

Winter storm watch for Metro Vancouver:

Winter storm watch in effect for:

• Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
  • Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley
  • Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta

A significant winter storm bringing a mix of wintery conditions is expected this weekend.

Locations: Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley

Snowfall accumulations: Potential for 2 to 10 cm beginning Saturday, with higher amounts near Hope.

Rainfall amounts: Potential for 10 to 40 mm Sunday.

Other hazards: Risk of freezing rain overnight Saturday and Sunday morning. Strong winds Sunday near the Strait of Georgia.

Time frame: Saturday and Sunday.

Remarks: A winter storm will reach the south coast on Saturday bringing a mix of snow, rain, and wind into Sunday.

Snow is expected to begin Saturday afternoon or evening. Overnight, temperatures will begin to rise as warm air advances from the Pacific.

On Sunday morning, the snow will change to rain for Metro Vancouver. Western sections of the Fraser Valley will gradually see a transition to rain Sunday, while eastern sections closer to Hope will continue to see significant snowfall through Sunday.

The exact precipitation amounts and timing of the changeover to rain still remains uncertain at this point.

Additionally, there is a risk of freezing rain as warm air overrides the cold air lurking near the surface overnight Saturday into Sunday.

Strong winds of 40 km/h gusting to 70 km/h will also develop early Sunday, possibly gusting up to 90 km/h near the Strait of Georgia.

Road conditions may quickly deteriorate as snow transitions to rain. Freezing rain may also make surfaces icy and slippery. Snowmelt from the anticipated warming and additional rainfall may cause water pooling on roads and local flooding.

Be prepared for rapidly changing conditions and take extra care when walking or driving in affected areas.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42

Still early in the winter up around here.

A reminder that every winter's different as this one seems to be!IMG-1399.thumb.JPG.3202e7ba0bcae41a2f91b891e1bb626e.JPG

Rare for this house to have a curl this big so early and for it too linger a bit too long.

Reaching out the window this curl has a two inch layer of ice on the bottom.

The thing is: curls and sloughs come and go as is life in a powder highway, metal roof town.

This ones stuck around a bit long.

IMG_0390.thumb.jpeg.d784bc91059141481bcb5e158a729e09.jpegThis shot from March of "19" shows a full load late season.

This year the volume and temperature are coinciding way early.

The curl on the house shouldn't be that large and as the carport roof looks

now it's going to need a scrape down, for the second time in 25 years!

Hmm as the title says...OMG snow?   GCG:towel:

Edited by Cat Man
  • Cheers 1