The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Snow?

CanucksFan415

21 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

I used to work as a service advisor in Edmonton for 5 years, a lot of people use all season tires. The biggest difference I've noticed is that in the lower mainland they think pre salting roads and sidewalks will help underneath a foot of snow. 

In Alberta they drop gravel on the roads, which also means there's a lot of chipped and cracked windshields.

They also have plenty more plows in Toronto and Edmonton because they are used regularly. The streets in Vancouver go days sometimes even weeks before you see a plow. 

I use winter tires, but if the roads are crap my small Toyota is gonna have hard time no matter what. 

Summer tires are only a third of the issue.  Driving skills and road prep are the other two heads in this three headed monster.

What works on ice that has a film of water on it, especially on a hill?  Chains?

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What works on ice that has a film of water on it, especially on a hill?  Chains?

Studded tires are awesome but there needs to be weight in the vehicle. All wheel drive vehicles or vehicles with snow mode/ traction control are also advantageous.  If you don't have 4 wheel drive,  front wheel drive is best in the winter because the weight of the engine. If your vehicle is rear wheel drive, carrying extra weight in the back is necessary but can add extra costs because the extra weight uses more gas. That's why a lot of smaller trucks have sand bags in the back. 

1 hour ago, DS4quality said:

I used to work as a service advisor in Edmonton for 5 years, a lot of people use all season tires. The biggest difference I've noticed is that in the lower mainland they think pre salting roads and sidewalks will help underneath a foot of snow. 

In Alberta they drop gravel on the roads, which also means there's a lot of chipped and cracked windshields.

They also have plenty more plows in Toronto and Edmonton because they are used regularly. The streets in Vancouver go days sometimes even weeks before you see a plow. 

I use winter tires, but if the roads are crap my small Toyota is gonna have hard time no matter what. 

Summer tires are only a third of the issue.  Driving skills and road prep are the other two heads in this three headed monster.

I have an all wheel drive BMW with all season tires.  I've never been stuck in the snow.  But as you said I also know how to drive and maneuver around so I don't get stuck.  But I usually don't have an issue getting up hills in Vancouver.  I know lots of people with summer tires on right now, or they have all season tires but a rear wheel drive.  My previous BMW was real wheel drive and I couldn't climb a hill to save my life.  The all wheel drive makes a huge difference...

• Cheers 1

Special weather statement for Metro Vancouver:

Special weather statement in effect for:

• Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
  • Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley
  • Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta

Falling temperatures and icy surfaces.

When: Tonight through Thursday.

Impacts: Icy conditions on un-treated surfaces, poor travel conditions during the morning commute. Windchill near -10 in windy areas.

In the wake of last night's snow storm daytime temperatures will rise above freezing, melting some of the snow that fell. Tonight, increasing outflow winds are forecast to increase tonight, bringing colder air to the south coast. Windchill values ranging from -5 to -10 (-15 over the eastern Fraser Valley) are expected in areas exposed to the outflow winds.

Temperatures will fall well below zero, and untreated road surfaces and sidewalks could become icy overnight, potentially impacting the Thursday morning commute.

The frigid temperatures will remain with us through Thursday night.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42

• Thanks 2

• Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster

Potential for snow and slippery conditions Friday afternoon and evening.

Where: Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Howe Sound (near Bowen Island), Sunshine Coast - Gibsons to Earls Cove, Southern Gulf Islands.

When: Friday afternoon and Friday night.

Hazards: Total snowfall accumulations of 2 to 5 cm and locally higher. Slippery conditions due to snow and temperatures near freezing. Risk of freezing rain. May impact evening commute.

Remarks: A low pressure system will brush the south coast on Friday and will bring another round of snow to Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley, southern sections of Howe Sound, the Sunshine Coast near Gibsons and the Southern Gulf Islands.

Snowfall accumulations are uncertain at the moment given precipitation rate, strength of the outflow winds and the humidity of the near surface atmospheric layer. The timing is likely to be during the afternoon commute and into the evening hours.

This event will have significantly less snow than Tuesday's event.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

Potential for light snow and patchy freezing drizzle during Tuesday morning commute.

Location: Metro Vancouver, Abbotsford, Greater Victoria, Malahat Highway, Sunshine Coast, eastern Vancouver Island, Port Alberni, Lake Cowichan, Duncan, and southern Gulf Islands.

Timespan: Tuesday morning.

Hazards: Risk of patchy freezing drizzle giving slippery conditions. Total snowfall amounts of trace to 4 cm.

Remarks: The recent cold weather has primed the south coast for low elevation snowfall. A low pressure system will spin up over Vancouver Island producing periods of light snow and a risk of freezing drizzle beginning early Tuesday morning.

Temperatures are forecast to rise Tuesday afternoon resulting in periods of light snow changing to periods of light rain. For inland sections near Campbell River, precipitation will likely remain as periods of light snow into Tuesday night.

• 2 weeks later...