The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Interesting discussion on the radio post-game show tonight, post last Chicago game.  One of the radio guys -- can't remember which one -- made the point that buying out Burr this summer only makes sense if you have a better player available to take his minutes.  I just thought he wasn't worth the money, but his point is valid: you're going to pay the money anyway whether he is bought out or stays, so the decision comes down to whether you have one or more players who can not only replace him, but surpass him.  He then went on to argue that Etem, Granlund, Grenier, Gaunce and possibly Vey are not noticeably better.  So we may keep him because although over-paid, he is better than any replacement so far (this year anyway) and we're going to be paying him anyway. 

He has a point.  Burr scored 9 goals at this point and does pk at a decent level -- he also looks to be trying.

56 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Interesting discussion on the radio post-game show tonight, post last Chicago game.  One of the radio guys -- can't remember which one -- made the point that buying out Burr this summer only makes sense if you have a better player available to take his minutes.  I just thought he wasn't worth the money, but his point is valid: you're going to pay the money anyway whether he is bought out or stays, so the decision comes down to whether you have one or more players who can not only replace him, but surpass him.  He then went on to argue that Etem, Granlund, Grenier, Gaunce and possibly Vey are not noticeably better.  So we may keep him because although over-paid, he is better than any replacement so far (this year anyway) and we're going to be paying him anyway. 

He has a point.  Burr scored 9 goals at this point and does pk at a decent level -- he also looks to be trying.

The point isn't do we have a better player now. It's how much worse will Burrows be next year.

He was actually okay to start the year and regressed and regressed and regressed some more. With another year under his belt, and more miles under his legs there's a good chance he will be even worse next year.

Plus with Rodin coming here and hopefully one free agent, there just isn't room.

8 hours ago, Spotted Zebra said:

The point isn't do we have a better player now. It's how much worse will Burrows be next year.

He was actually okay to start the year and regressed and regressed and regressed some more. With another year under his belt, and more miles under his legs there's a good chance he will be even worse next year.

Plus with Rodin coming here and hopefully one free agent, there just isn't room.

I hope you're right, Burr is a ghost of his old self, and can only imagine how far he slips next year.  I'm starting to worry a bit more about the Sedins now too: a big regression over the course of this year.  No cheating Father Time I guess.

11 hours ago, gameburn said:

Waive him. We shave roughly $1m off our cap and he continues to mentor our youth in Utica and be available as depth for call ups if the injury bug strikes like this year.

Could also call him up for the last couple home games next year so he can retire a Canuck.

Then offer him a coaching gig.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Waive him. We shave roughly $1m off our cap and he continues to mentor our youth in Utica and be available as depth for call ups if the injury bug strikes like this year.

Could also call him up for the last couple home games next year so he can retire a Canuck.

Then offer him a coaching gig.

He doens't deserve to be waived.  Up-root his family?  No, that's just not how you treat players.

If they don't think he can spend the full year on the team - then buy him out.

I would prefer keeping him over Dorsett to be honest and hope they consider that option.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, mll said:

He doens't deserve to be waived.  Up-root his family?  No, that's just not how you treat players.

I would prefer keeping him over Dorsett to be honest and hope they consider that option.

Dorsett for one year considering cap hit is better than Burrows would be next year. The only positive in keeping Burrows is that his contract would be over in a year.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, mll said:

He's not trade-able. And buying him out we're paying him to play for another organization and spreading his cap for an additional year. Possible, but less likely (and less preferable) IMO.

This is pro hockey. When you become an old, highly paid vet no longer worth your contract and blocking the path of younger, faster players with upside, things like this can and do happen. See: Higgins, Chris.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Dorsett for one year considering cap hit is better than Burrows would be next year. The only positive in keeping Burrows is that his contract would be over in a year.

Burrows buy-out is 2.5M in 2016/17 and 1M in 2017/18

Dorsett is 2.65M for 3 more years

Burrows at 4.5M for 2016/17 + getting an asset by trading Dorsett

vs

Dorsett at 2.65M + Burrows buyout 2.5M is a total of 5.15M for next year / 3.65M the year after

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, mll said:

Burrows buy-out is 2.5M in 2016/17 and 1M in 2017/18

Dorsett is 2.65M for 3 more years

Burrows at 4.5M for 2016/17 + getting an asset by trading Dorsett

vs

Dorsett at 2.65M + Burrows buyout 2.5M is a total of 5.15M for next year / 3.65M the year after

Dorsett is a great 4th line role player, hits,speed and battles hard and most of all he's been a great mentor to our youth. 

I'd rather have dorsett at this point.