The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Rain?

JoeyBats

Rainfall warning for Metro Vancouver:

Rainfall warning in effect for:

• Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
  • Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley
  • Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta

Total rainfall up to 120 to 160 mm for Metro Vancouver, western Fraser Valley, Whistler, Howe Sound and parts of the Sunshine Coast; total rainfall up to 200 to 230 mm for central and eastern Fraser Valley by Monday afternoon. Warm temperatures will accompany the rain.

Timespan: Tonight to Monday afternoon.

Locations: Metro Vancouver, Fraser Valley, Howe Sound, Sea to Sky - Squamish to Whistler, Whistler, Sunshine Coast - Gibsons to Earls Cove.

Hazard: 160 to 230 mm of rain. Rising freezing levels with melting snow giving rise to increased river flows and localised flooding.

Remarks: A significant atmospheric river event is bringing copious amounts of rain and near record temperatures to the B.C. south coast tonight to Monday Afternoon.

Heavy rain will continue this evening and ease early Monday afternoon as the system moves through the region. The highest rainfall amounts of 100 to 130 mm have been observed over central and eastern Fraser Valley so far. Additional rainfall amounts near 100 mm are expected by Monday afternoon. The rest of the regions has received 60 to 90 mm with further rainfall amounts of near 70 mm expected.

This long episode of heavy rain could result in possible washouts, debris flow and pooling water as rising freezing levels will also melt snow at higher elevations. Local river levels will rise and river flows will increase as a result of the heavy rain.

Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads. Localized flooding in low-lying areas is possible. Watch for possible washouts near rivers, creeks and culverts.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42

8 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Anyone heading east or west of Chilliwack is hooped. Every hwy is closed. Apparently you can still go through Pemberton but I don't know how long that will last. 

Buddy got turned around at 146 exit (I think) and was driving back against the traffic he was just with and had to take another route.

Water here is stupid, you can see from my pics where it washed out my driveway overnight.  Good thing I sold this house and am renting lol, gave my landlord an early morning text.

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Chilliwack schools are closed due to the rain.  That's a first for me.

We barely even close them for snow lol.  This rain is awful.  Yarrow was a flood puddle, Ryder Lake had MASSIVE waterfalls and sounds like lots of slides towards friends houses up there.  I can only imagine most of the other hillsides are a complete gongshow right now.

Where did you see that news Wilbur?

Edited by Russ

4 minutes ago, Russ said:

We barely even close them for snow lol.  This rain is awful.  Yarrow was a flood puddle, Ryder Lake had MASSIVE waterfalls and sounds like lots of slides towards friends houses up there.  I can only imagine most of the other hillsides are a complete gongshow right now.

Where did you see that news Wilbur?

Email from the Superintendent and text from my Principal.

19 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Merritt is almost completely evacuated, Princeton has many homes, trailers and businesses evacuated, and Tulameen is under flood alert. IF you don't have to drive to the Interior, stay home, you probably won't get there anyway.

Breaking News, the entire City of Merritt has been evacuated. So, this climate change is a hoax, right?