The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Rain?

JoeyBats

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

For anyone hoping for a quick fix of the Coquihalla stop.  This will be a multi year repair.

There are numerous bridges and O-Pass diversions that are simply gone.  Added the amount of banks that are now destabilized.  With winter setting in already and the threat of erosion and more landslides/avalanches this is an intense amount of work that will need to be done.

https://www.facebook.com/brittany.pickard2/videos/184641123868838

Totally agree Hip, with the fires the Province has had, or will get in the coming years this repair thing will be ongoing. There's barely anything left on those hillsides. Spring runoff is going to be an all year round event. The Canyon is worse because of the steepness in areas. Something needs to be done and fast, ie: a new route into the Interior. I always wondered why they built the Coq in the first place. I logged in one of the creeks (Lodestone) years ago, and the sheer amount of snow they got in that area was incredible. Where does all this runoff go, Princeton, Merritt, Hope, and eventually to the Lower Mainland?

I try to avoid the Coq even in the summer, and I sure won't head up that way in the winter months because maintenance is a thing of the past. The Hope Princeton isn't much better as far as the maintenance is concerned, but its an easier drive, and over the years they've straightened out many of the windy stretches of the highway. But, it too has had its share of fires and slides.

This is going to mean money and lots of it.

Now a massive/toxic fire in Abbotsford (near gas lines).

This is a huge disaster and I feel for all those people (and animals) caught up in this.  Here's what a friend posted:

For those watching what is unfolding in the Fraser Valley with flooding, here is a bit of an update
After unprecedented rainfall, the area between Abbotsford and Chilliwack known as the Sumas Flats is completely submerged, and HWY 1 is unpassable. This is in addition to the flooding East of us into Hope, Princteon etc as well as Merritt which was also evacuated.
Currently Chilliwack is completely water locked. No one in, no one out.
The Sumas Flats was actually a lake, that a bunch of colonizers decided to drain in the 1920's to create additional farm land. Dykes and pumps keep the area dry, but nature has a way of getting back what was hers. It is not unusual for this area to flood, but it is rare for it to happen to this extent. From my understanding, the pumps are now failing. Nature is winning.
At this time, areas around Chilliwack are being evacuated as water from across the US border are pouring in, looking for a route to the Fraser River. Homes are flooded, as well as damaged from mudslides etc.
My family is one of the lucky ones on higher ground, and we do not expect any flooding or damage to our homes. That said, we are kind of stuck here.

The rescue I'm involved with in Richmond was trying to coordinate boat rescues last night (for animals, but people too obviously if needed).  So, so sad.

3 hours ago, redhdlois said:

Well we can thank them for limiting the damage and if those pumps went the whole lower mainland would be in an impassible and completely broken situation like the coquihalla. However, tons of farmland and many animals are going to die, and the damage is going to be immense. It's one very nice battle to stop things from being much worse, but were not out of the woods.....

On 11/15/2021 at 6:03 PM, gurn said:

Getting tired of hearing "An every hundred year event" when this carp happens every 4-5 years.

Also noticing a trend on t.v. and from city spokes peopel/information officers:

Why do so many have a British accent? Do the powers that be, think it sounds more authorative, or reassuring ?

The "design storm" is based on statistics. Most of Canada doesn't have hundreds of years of rainfall/snow/etc data to come out with very accurate numbers, climate change or not. That just makes it worse.

So ya, why not just up the number a bunch to be conservative? Oversize all the pipes? Make bigger ditches? The fish love it, it's very green as well!

Well, then you wouldn't have jobs for bean counters to cut costs everywhere to fit things within the "budget" and "schedule". Everything has to be "just right" and fit within the "best data available".

So ya.

Incidently, JT is on TV saying he will "Send in what help we need". Ok, send in the army core of engineers. If we don't fix the supply chains it screws with the entire country. It will take a year or two for example to fix the coquihalla properly. But it needs to be, shall we say, operational, ASAFP. Baily bridges, giant pipe, temporary fixes. Get it done. All the highways and the railroads.

If you don't, get ready for lots of empty shelves, and lots of laid off people, like nation wide.

• Vintage 1

So the Coq looks like it's going to be a long term proposition....what's the situation with 97? From what I can tell, Abby is the only thing blocking it, so what's the prognosis?

If it's also going to take time, it looks like they might have to go through Washington State, which means they'll have to relax Covid testing rules.

20 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Looks like they have problems  up as Cultus as well.

@Warhippy here’s another video from the Coq.

5BDBF0A2-56C3-4372-B323-276E935AAE58.jpeg

19 hours ago, Bure_of_94 said:

I remember 30 years ago when I was a kid, no matter where you drove it seemed like in the summer there was always crews maintaining, upgrading, paving, inspecting bridges etc. It seems like the last 10 years ago there hasn’t Been much  work/maintenance/ inspections. It’s crazy. 

And you’re absolutely right, these fixes won’t be quick. I live in the Cariboo and we have slides and bridge washouts that happened 5-10 years ago and nothing has gotten repaired. People up here have given up that they ever will. 

5 hours ago, johngould21 said:

Totally agree Hip, with the fires the Province has had, or will get in the coming years this repair thing will be ongoing. There's barely anything left on those hillsides. Spring runoff is going to be an all year round event. The Canyon is worse because of the steepness in areas. Something needs to be done and fast, ie: a new route into the Interior. I always wondered why they built the Coq in the first place. I logged in one of the creeks (Lodestone) years ago, and the sheer amount of snow they got in that area was incredible. Where does all this runoff go, Princeton, Merritt, Hope, and eventually to the Lower Mainland?

I try to avoid the Coq even in the summer, and I sure won't head up that way in the winter months because maintenance is a thing of the past. The Hope Princeton isn't much better as far as the maintenance is concerned, but its an easier drive, and over the years they've straightened out many of the windy stretches of the highway. But, it too has had its share of fires and slides.

This is going to mean money and lots of it.

So in my past I was a certified ironworker.  I would do specialized flange and wire as well as bridge repair.  Like the kind of work you saw done on BC place with that silly roof.  I also repaired/replaced bridges  over the southern interior and Peace River regions.

For a repair, in this instance before anything can happen; hydrologists/geologists and engineers all ned to do surveys, walk throughs and certify the banks are ready for rebuilding.  They then need to inspect and ensure that the footings for these bridges and O-Pass diversions are still viable for weight.  In an absolutely BEST case scenario they are all good and stable and this takes two months.

This spring....

But we know looking at those videos the likelihood of those footings being still viable is minimal.  

So first thing to happen will be ensuring erosion issues have stopped.  Hydrologists will then have to go in and check river flow and new pathing.  Geologists will have to come in to see about stabilization of the banks and pillars/footings.  Afterwards it's the engineers.  This is basically just year 1. Year 2 is the rebuild where the roads and banks are rebuilt.  New footings and pillars/supports for the bridges and O-pass diversions will be MINIMUM 6 months each.  This means multiple crews and ensuring they are all on the same page and schedule.

Make no mistake about it, other roads will be made ready for use; but the Coq itself as it stands will not be repaired and viable for at least 2+ years to its former standards.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

That is crazy sh1t. A customer of mine was a bridge engineer for CN and the ministry of highways for over 30 years. i have a feeling he will be called out of retirement very shortly. i can only imagine the traffic the canyon will get until the Coc is back up and running in the time span @warhippy says it will be ready by. Stay safe people and keep helping each other out. if anyone has family that can't get home to the lower mainland and are stuck in northern BC Burns lake/Houston/Smithers/Terrace area and need accommodations and are short on funds. Don't hesitate to message me for some help. Our family has a chain of hotels and are willing to help.

Good on you, Serge. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Have they made any prediction to when Highway 1 between Abby and Chilliwack will be open?

Looking at the Drive BC site (https://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/pub/events/Highway1.html) there won't be another update until tomorrow.

It looks like Highway 7 may have opened up? (https://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/pub/events/Highway7.html)  At least to single lane, alternating traffic, if I'm reading that right.  I still wouldn't go unless you absolutely had to.

20 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Have they made any prediction to when Highway 1 between Abby and Chilliwack will be open?

That should be one of the quicker routes to re-open as so far there has been no major damage reported. The water on #1 has been receding slowly today. From my house I can now see a larger stretch of dry roadway east of Sumas Way heading towards Whatcom.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

So in my past I was a certified ironworker.  I would do specialized flange and wire as well as bridge repair.  Like the kind of work you saw done on BC place with that silly roof.  I also repaired/replaced bridges  over the southern interior and Peace River regions.

For a repair, in this instance before anything can happen; hydrologists/geologists and engineers all ned to do surveys, walk throughs and certify the banks are ready for rebuilding.  They then need to inspect and ensure that the footings for these bridges and O-Pass diversions are still viable for weight.  In an absolutely BEST case scenario they are all good and stable and this takes two months.

This spring....

But we know looking at those videos the likelihood of those footings being still viable is minimal.  

So first thing to happen will be ensuring erosion issues have stopped.  Hydrologists will then have to go in and check river flow and new pathing.  Geologists will have to come in to see about stabilization of the banks and pillars/footings.  Afterwards it's the engineers.  This is basically just year 1. Year 2 is the rebuild where the roads and banks are rebuilt.  New footings and pillars/supports for the bridges and O-pass diversions will be MINIMUM 6 months each.  This means multiple crews and ensuring they are all on the same page and schedule.

Make no mistake about it, other roads will be made ready for use; but the Coq itself as it stands will not be repaired and viable for at least 2+ years to its former standards.

Yup all of that will have to be done for the final design. But things like putting in temporary box culverts and what not and monitoring it in the meantime would be ok. Perhaps just have one lane each direction at the crossings, keep it only open to trucks. When they stage the ultimate construction they can build one half of the road at a time and at least keep it open to some traffic. Of course it would be shut down during high streamflow events. (It's not that hard to notice. If there's existing snow on the slopes, and an "atmospheric river" but more accurate "pineapple express" (which indicates the tropical nature that melts the snow and creates the very high streamflow) is predicted, you close it down for safety. But temporary culverts and baily bridges can be put in.

I am not joking. Bring in the army engineers and pretend you need to send tanks from Calgary to defend the coast after all our bridges were bombed out. You want a good military exercise? There you go!

They need to get all the highways open ASAFP or else were about to become a province of self reliant city states.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, gurn said:

Hearing mixed reports that the Port of Vancouver, shipping yards are cut off by rail AND road.

If so, go shopping and get the food you can, while you can.

That would be correct.  There is rail from eastern canada in to the west here but the main arteries to Vancouver are all cut off for rail traffic.  This will wildly affect everything back east with an already existing supply crunch 

Just distribute it all by truck to us in BC at discounted prices and let us deal with it