The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Rain?

JoeyBats

Just now, Tortorella's Rant said:

How the hell do you even make this area passable? It's insane to think that's what it looks like now. I was there Sunday afternoon and a small spot on the parallel road was submerged. Hard to imagine a day lake the entire area is a lake. 

Not just that but Highway 7 is closed due to mudslides and flooding.  There is no way by road into Chilliwack right now.  Sounds like the next updates won't be until later tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Apparently in Chilliwack there was a mad dash for gas but has since been restricted for emergency vehicles only. 

257279189_477218886951043_7452883576902303937_n.jpg

My sister is in Chilliwack and she said they filled up amidst the madness.  Fortunately, they're stocked up for groceries.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I guess all you can do is wait for the land to absorb the water, as saturated as it is, and natural evaporation. No idea how long that will take. I presume the homeless camp of dozens not far from that image there at the next freeway exit is underwater too. 

They will pump it and a lot of it will evaporate without any replacement. The roads will need work.

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

How the hell do you even make this area passable? It's insane to think that's what it looks like now. I was there Sunday afternoon and a small spot on the parallel road was submerged. Hard to imagine a day lake the entire area is a lake. 

100 years ago Sumas Prairie was a lake. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumas_Lake

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

This is my exit. Yesterday afternoon emergency personnel were diverting cars off the highway and letting the bulk of the traffic go south on Whatcom. We were just coming back from Vye road and north on Whatcom was the only way out. There are a lot of farms on the south side of the highway that will have lost all their livestock.

This is the latest view from my front window.

I saw a jet boat on this part of #1 this morning that seemed to be just fooling around. I hope it’s not just another Instagram a**hole!

Wow.  I remember going by there often on my way to Cultus.  Such a shame what is going on up there.

• Thanks 1

For anyone hoping for a quick fix of the Coquihalla stop.  This will be a multi year repair.

There are numerous bridges and O-Pass diversions that are simply gone.  Added the amount of banks that are now destabilized.  With winter setting in already and the threat of erosion and more landslides/avalanches this is an intense amount of work that will need to be done.

https://www.facebook.com/brittany.pickard2/videos/184641123868838

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

For anyone hoping for a quick fix of the Coquihalla stop.  This will be a multi year repair.

There are numerous bridges and O-Pass diversions that are simply gone.  Added the amount of banks that are now destabilized.  With winter setting in already and the threat of erosion and more landslides/avalanches this is an intense amount of work that will need to be done.

https://www.facebook.com/brittany.pickard2/videos/184641123868838

I remember 30 years ago when I was a kid, no matter where you drove it seemed like in the summer there was always crews maintaining, upgrading, paving, inspecting bridges etc. It seems like the last 10 years ago there hasn’t Been much  work/maintenance/ inspections. It’s crazy. 

And you’re absolutely right, these fixes won’t be quick. I live in the Cariboo and we have slides and bridge washouts that happened 5-10 years ago and nothing has gotten repaired. People up here have given up that they ever will. 

A very bleak night for the folks on Sumas Prairie. Apparently farmers have been told that all water and power will be turned off  tonight. Everyone will be ordered out and all farms and animals will be abandoned. There is supposed to be an announcement locally any time now that the failure of  the Barrowtown pumps  are imminent, and would lead to a “catastrophic event.”  Farmers are heartbroken.

• Sad 2
  • Huggy Bear 2

3 hours ago, 4petesake said:

A very bleak night for the folks on Sumas Prairie. Apparently farmers have been told that all water and power will be turned off  tonight. Everyone will be ordered out and all farms and animals will be abandoned. There is supposed to be an announcement locally any time now that the failure of  the Barrowtown pumps  are imminent, and would lead to a “catastrophic event.”  Farmers are heartbroken.

I can't believe the extent of the devastation that could occur. So many people could lose so much of their livelihood. It's staggering. To think that Sumas Lake could effectively fully return is almost unthinkable. I live in Langley, but grew up in Abbotsford. My heart goes out so much for that city.

• Huggy Bear 2

Just watching the CBC this morning, and they’re saying the last line of defence for the Fraser might fail. If the Fraser River floods will that flood most of the lower mainland? 

I thought I read a long time ago that the last time the Fraser flooded in 48 it devastated Delta and Richmond?could this happen in the next day or two? 

15 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Apparently in Chilliwack there was a mad dash for gas but has since been restricted for emergency vehicles only. 

257279189_477218886951043_7452883576902303937_n.jpg

I might have to wander out and see if I can pickup some diesel.  

Wonder how many idiots might panic and put diesel in the gas engines or vice versa.... Lot of stupid people out there.