The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Rain?

JoeyBats

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That would be correct.  There is rail from eastern canada in to the west here but the main arteries to Vancouver are all cut off for rail traffic.  This will wildly affect everything back east with an already existing supply crunch 

Just distribute it all by truck to us in BC at discounted prices and let us deal with it

Well just like roads could take high 97 south from Kamloops, then go west on I-2 or on I-20, then up the I-5 and cross the border again (JT talk to biden get us a temp route with special "only stop for gas" like rules?) so it would be a longer trip but we can keep things moving.

Similar options exist on the rails but I don't think both lines are completely destroyed on the trains. (Haven't talked to a train guy lately).

Or in the meantime ship via Prince Rupert. It's still open.

From what I'm seeing, things are slowly getting slightly better in Abbotsford now. Hopefully the rain holds out so the water can continue to recede. Looks like some light rain in the forecast for tomorrow, but nothing huge.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

From what I'm seeing, things are slowly getting slightly better in Abbotsford now. Hopefully the rain holds out so the water can continue to recede. Looks like some light rain in the forecast for tomorrow, but nothing huge.

Yarrow back home, outskirts of sumas by costco too. We were driving around Chilliwack today and saw the 2 massive diesel water pumps getting brought over the #3 exit to head to the pumps to help out the pump house.  Sounds like its slowly getting better.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So in my past I was a certified ironworker.  I would do specialized flange and wire as well as bridge repair.  Like the kind of work you saw done on BC place with that silly roof.  I also repaired/replaced bridges  over the southern interior and Peace River regions.

For a repair, in this instance before anything can happen; hydrologists/geologists and engineers all ned to do surveys, walk throughs and certify the banks are ready for rebuilding.  They then need to inspect and ensure that the footings for these bridges and O-Pass diversions are still viable for weight.  In an absolutely BEST case scenario they are all good and stable and this takes two months.

This spring....

But we know looking at those videos the likelihood of those footings being still viable is minimal.  

So first thing to happen will be ensuring erosion issues have stopped.  Hydrologists will then have to go in and check river flow and new pathing.  Geologists will have to come in to see about stabilization of the banks and pillars/footings.  Afterwards it's the engineers.  This is basically just year 1. Year 2 is the rebuild where the roads and banks are rebuilt.  New footings and pillars/supports for the bridges and O-pass diversions will be MINIMUM 6 months each.  This means multiple crews and ensuring they are all on the same page and schedule.

Make no mistake about it, other roads will be made ready for use; but the Coq itself as it stands will not be repaired and viable for at least 2+ years to its former standards.

I was guessing 18 months before the Coq gets fixed but you seem to have more of a clue.   I figured it'll be high priority and things will be moved a bit quicker but really until spring it wont be able to get started because it'll be snowing up there soon enough.

Canadian military, ground forces have arrived to help.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/first-members-of-military-contingent-arrive-in-b-c-to-assist-with-flood-recovery/ar-AAQRkrX?ocid=msedgntp

VANCOUVER — A handful of Armed Forces members have arrived in British Columbia, the first of what Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has said could be several hundred troops as the federal government moves to help the province recover from devastating floods.

The Canadian Joint Operations Command says nine members of the Edmonton-based 3 Canadian Division Immediate Response Unit arrived in B.C. overnight to start scoping out the scene before planning and co-ordinating ongoing relief efforts in earnest.

Other troops have been put on high alert and will start to assemble and deploy into the area once the advance team and provincial government determine where they are needed most.

At the same time, a C-130 Hercules is on its way from CFB Trenton while one helicopter from CFB Edmonton and another from CFB Esquimalt are on standby.

Premier John Horgan has declared a state of emergency in response to flooding and landslides that began Sunday after record rainfall drenched much of southern B.C. for more than 48 hours.

One person is confirmed dead in a landslide that swept vehicles off a road near Pemberton and the search continues for more victims, while flooding has left much of the Fraser Valley under water, killing thousands of farm animals in what officials are calling an agricultural disaster.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 18, 2021.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will add- local Comox radio reporting that the 442 Rescue Squadron from CFB Comox  rescued 301 people, a few dogs and a couple of cats from danger on Tuesday.

I have seen those folk in action, and DAMN, they are good at what they do!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Likely to be more fires in the days to come, as the wet mouldering hay starts to light up.

These last couple of years have been extremely tough.

Damn.  Not that I doubt you, but how would that happen?  Buildup of gasses from the rot?  Might get a little explosive then.  yikes.

5 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Damn.  Not that I doubt you, but how would that happen?  Buildup of gasses from the rot?  Might get a little explosive then.  yikes.

Rotting, decomposing straw puts off a lot of heat.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wet+hay+catches+fire&&view=detail&mid=B79946BD60A1FA810E15B79946BD60A1FA810E15&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dwet%2Bhay%2Bcatches%2Bfire%26FORM%3DHDRSC4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Oh yea years ago some started combusting on a truck and had to get dumped off at a place I was working.  We took it and threw it through a grinder and broke it right up into tiny tiny pieces and it was able to put the fire out.  Theres a place just up the road that I bet will get some of it and dispose of it like that.

2 hours ago, Kragar said:

It's a little known phenomenon called Spontaneous Hayman Combustion....B)

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

Comox/ Island radio reporting a sink hole has occurred on Highway 19 just north of Nanaimo. That is the lower/ older highway down by the water.

Yeah, not too far from me, it's north of Nanaimo, near Lantzville. 

Gotta call my buddy. He works in Vic at the jail and was already giving extra time for his commute due to the Malahat. 

He might be f'd, the sink hole near Nanaimo has closed the Island Highway in BOTH directions. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Upvote 1

BC Ferries implemented an emergency route from Swartz Bay to Duke Point the other day to move gas  and food rigs stuck behind the Malahat closure; lets see if they'll do one from Nanaimo to Little River or preferably Buckley Bay as it is close. Not sure the dock there is suitable for the Coastal class ship though. 

Abbotsford, B.C., homes may need to be destroyed to construct dike, mayor says

The City of Abbotsford says several homes may need to be destroyed to shore up a levee and prevent the Sumas Prairie from turning into a lake once again.

Mayor Henry Braun confirmed the troubling development at a news conference Thursday afternoon.

According to Braun, the dike that protects the prairie has been breached, and a levee must be built as soon as possible.

The largest hole in the dike is approximately 100 metres long. The city plans to use help from the Canadian Forces to build a two-and-a-half-kilometre dike alongside Highway 1 starting Friday morning.

Braun was unable to say exactly how many properties would need to be expropriated to facilitate the emergency construction.

"I think it's between six and 12," Braun said in response to a reporter's question.

"I sense you're looking for a number, so I don't want someone to think it's 50 houses," he added. "One house is too much. And if it was my house, I'd be concerned, too. But there are not many options here."

Sumas Prairie is a 90-square-kilometre low-lying agricultural area in Abbotsford's southeast, and about two-thirds of it is the former Sumas Lake, Braun said.

Currently, the Sumas River flows north from the U.S. border toward the Fraser River, and dikes along its banks prevent it from refilling and reforming the Sumas Lake. The breaches in those dikes are allowing the lake to reform faster than the city's Barrowtown pump station can remove the water, according to Braun.

The plan is to construct the levee along the highway's north side, between two high points, the mayor said. That and repairs to another breach in the dike will hopefully stop water from getting into the former lake and allow the pump station to remove the water that remains.

"We have to finish this work, like, yesterday, to stop all of this happening," Braun said.

The mayor said some people in the western part of the Sumas Prairie have been seeing the water recede. That's largely because the water is flowing west to east, toward the lake bed. Water continues to rise on the east side of Abbotsford, Braun said.

"I just want to implore the farmers: Just because you saw water drop, doesn't mean it's safe to go in there," he said.

Edited by Mj2345

Special weather statement for Metro Vancouver:

Special weather statement in effect for:

• Metro Vancouver - central including the City of Vancouver Burnaby and New Westminster
  • Metro Vancouver - North Shore including West Vancouver and North Vancouver
  • Metro Vancouver - northeast including Coquitlam and Maple Ridge
  • Metro Vancouver - southeast including Surrey and Langley
  • Metro Vancouver - southwest including Richmond and Delta

Another round of heavy rain is on the way.

Total Rainfall: 40 to 80 mm

Locations: Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, particularly near the mountains. The Sea to Sky corridor and the Sunshine Coast from Gibsons to Earls Cove.

Timespan: Wednesday night through early Friday morning.

Other Risks: Strong southeast winds near the water on Thursday.

Remarks: The next storm system is set to arrive on the BC South Coast overnight Wednesday. This storm will be shorter lived and less intense than the event over November 13-15, 2021. However, it will still bring moderate to heavy rain and strong winds. Additionally, freezing levels will rise above mountain tops on Thursday. This may worsen recent flooding and impact vulnerable landscapes and infrastructure.

There remains some uncertainty in total forecast rainfall amounts. Please continue to monitor local forecasts and alerts for the latest information.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to BCstorm@ec.gc.ca or tweet reports using #BCStorm.

https://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?bc42

On 11/18/2021 at 3:38 PM, gurn said:

Comox/ Island radio reporting a sink hole has occurred on Highway 19 just north of Nanaimo. Highway shut down. That is the lower/ older highway down by the water.

Well the stretch just north of Nanaimo is the original highway (rebuilt but same area) until past Lantzville. Seems this is that stretch so it shuts down both routes. It is just north of the Chevron/A&W located where the old go cart track was for those who know the area :) 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Well the stretch just north of Nanaimo is the original highway (rebuilt but same area) until past Lantzville. Seems this is that stretch so it shuts down both routes. It is just north of the Chevron/A&W located where the old go cart track was for those who know the area :) 

Past Lanzville huh? Sure, completely ignore Nanoose:mad:

Yep, the 'new' highway starts up again, after Nanaimo from the Alberni by-pass...which is just past Nanoose. They were re-directing folks through Lantzville to avoid the sink hole. 

Miss the Nanoose go-cart track and the big ugly Gnome. They had a big slide and trampolines too!

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Past Lanzville huh? Sure, completely ignore Nanoose:mad:

Yep, the 'new' highway starts up again, after Nanaimo from the Alberni by-pass...which is just past Nanoose. They were re-directing folks through Lantzville to avoid the sink hole. 

Miss the Nanoose go-cart track and the big ugly Gnome. They had a big slide and trampolines too!

No one cares about Nanoose. I thought that was just Lantzville with ocean views. 

• Haha 1