The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Heat Wave?

tapeboy

I would like to just take a moment And appreciate this cooler than usual summer. I remember 2015, the heat started in June, but we're getting close to mid July and still have some rainy weather :)

2 minutes ago, roland said:

I would like to just take a moment And appreciate this cooler than usual summer. I remember 2015, the heat started in June, but we're getting close to mid July and still have some rainy weather :)

It will be cloudy/rainy till next Thursday according to the weather channel app.

Plant life will welcome it.

On June 6, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Incursio said:

Best thing about the heat is that it's good beer weather 

What kind of beer do you drink in the summer? Or do you drink the same beer year round?

i dip into the lower alcohol %age beers a little bit in the summer but make up for it in high %age cidersB)

6 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I'll trade ya. In the cariboo it's done nothin but pissed down rain.

No thanks man, 9 months of rain per year is enough for this guy. Sorry to hear your summer has been lousy too, I guess the crap weather is province wide.

• 2 weeks later...

No further water restrictions expected in Metro Vancouver this year:

METRO VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – There is a silver lining to the slightly soggier start to summer. At least you’re allowed to water your lawn and wash your car!

Last summer, we weren’t allowed to do so, thanks to water restrictions.

North Vancouver City Mayor Darrell Mussatto doubts the regional district will need to bring in more restrictions because of the weather this year, but that doesn’t mean you should stop conserving.

“We want to continue good habits. What we saw last year could very well happen again. And if we go back to using water the old fashioned way — whenever we want it, how much ever we want it — it will cause us some problems when we have dry spells again.”

“Our demand is lower. We’re at Stage 1 now. We anticipate staying at Stage 1 for the entire year without having to move to Stage 2 or more serious Stage 3 levels that other areas of the province have been looking at,” he adds.

Mussatto, who is also the chair of Metro Vancouver’s Utilities Commission, says all three of the local reservoirs are full right now.

http://www.news1130.com/2016/07/19/water-restrictions-metro-vancouver/

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-

It was super hot around May-June.Til the end of June came, it's been pretty cool since. I like it. Yesterday was pretty hot, but I'm not complaining. Still middle of July, and loving the mixed hot/cool whether. I usually get headaches when it's really hot and it's tough when I go for a workout. That's why I usually do them either early in the morning or evening. And yes, I'm always hydrated so I don't think that's the issue.

2015 summer was the hottest summer that I can remember in quite awhile. 

Edited by Odd.

54 C.
54 C.
...54 C!

Two Middle East locations 54 C this week — and it might be a world record for heat:

The temperature in Mitribah, Kuwait, surged Thursday to a blistering 54 C. And on Friday in Basra, Iraq, the mercury soared to 53.9. If confirmed, these incredible measurements would represent the two hottest temperatures ever recorded in the Eastern Hemisphere, according to Weather Underground meteorologist Jeff Masters and weather historian Christopher Burt, who broke the news.

It’s also possible that Mitribah’s 54 C reading matches the hottest ever reliably measured anywhere in the world. Both Mitribah and Basra’s readings are likely the highest ever recorded outside of Death Valley, Calif.

Death Valley currently holds the record for the world’s hottest temperature of 56.7 C, set July 10, 1913. But Weather Underground’s Burt does not believe it is a credible measurement.

In Bandar Mahshahr, Iran, on Thursday, the air temperature soared to 41 C, which, combined with a dew point of 30 C, would produce a heat index over 60 C also over the limit. These conditions were only slightly less extreme than July 31 last year, when Bandar Mahshahr posted an air temperature of 46 C and dew point of 32 C, which resulted in an over-the-limit heat index of 74 C. Bandar Mahshahr sits adjacent to the Persian Gulf in southwest Iran.

In the much more arid Basra, when the temperature hit 53.9 C Friday, the dew point was only in the 30s while the relative humidity was a bone-dry 4 per cent. These conditions produce a heat index lower than the actual air temperature, about 46 C. That is, the ultra-dry air made it feel not as hot.

The torrid conditions observed in the Middle East over the last two summers may be a harbinger of even more extreme heat in the future. A study published in the journal Nature Climate Change in October cautioned that by the end of the century, due to climate change, temperatures may become too hot for human survival.

In March, the National Academy of Sciences published a report that stated worsening heat waves are among the weather events that can be most easily connected to human-caused climate change.

All record temperatures noted are preliminary and await validation from the World Meteorological Organization.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/world/middle+east+locations+this+week+might+world+record+heat/12078797/story.html

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Metro Vancouver heat to hit 35 C today:

Unusually hot temperatures continue today in the B.C. Lower Mainland, with Environment Canada alerting people to prolonged hot weather for Metro Vancouver, Whistler, Howe Sound, and the Fraser Valley.

The special weather statement, which forecasts temperatures up to 35 C, also applies to inland Vancouver Island.

Near the water, a slight breeze will keep temperatures closer to 25 C, Environment Canada advises.

The weather statement advises people to watch for symptoms of heat-related illness including thirst, dizziness, confusion, weakness, and fainting.

It recommends people spend several hours a day in a facility with air conditioning, drink lots of water, and check in on others who might need help, including older people and those with mental illness.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/metro-vancouver-heat-to-hit-35-c-today-1.3726586