The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Over Fifty Healthy Dogs Slaughtered in Whistler-edited for update

nucklehead

Update: See post#210,p.7

http://www.winnipegf...-114926844.html

WHISTLER, B.C. - An official of the SPCA in British Columbia says word of a slaughter of sled dogs in Whistler warrants a criminal investigation.

Marcie Moriarty, general manager of the group's cruelty investigations, says the description of the April 2010 incident is an "absolutely criminal code offence," although there is no indication a police investigation is underway.

Documents obtained by CKNW radio reveal about 100 healthy sled dogs were killed in a mass slaughter in Whistler last April 21 and 23.

According to the WorkSafe B.C. documents, an employee of Outdoor Adventures Whistler has been compensated for post-traumatic stress disorder after being ordered to shoot the animals.

The documents reveal bookings for dog sled tours collapsed after the Olympics and when the company could not find homes for its animals, it ordered the cull.

Outdoor Adventures Whistler did not contest the details in the WorkSafe documents except to indicate that the injured worker claimed to have killed 70 dogs, but 100 were actually destroyed.

^Does that sound like something that might be funny to you? If so I'd seek some advise. No, I would like there to be more public awareness of the amount of healthy animals destroyed every year and I think an effective way of doing that would be to show the reality of what is involved in "putting an animal to sleep".

^Does that sound like something that might be funny to you? If so I'd seek some advise. No, I would like there to be more public awareness of the amount of healthy animals destroyed every year and I think an effective way of doing that would be to show the reality of what is involved in "putting an animal to sleep".

So if the SPCA wasn't there, you'd rather people just shoot or abandon dogs/cats and other animals? I'm not saying the SPCA is perfect. It's doing the best it can. Would you rather have an animal that is suffering from cancer or other diseases live in misery, or be put down?

If people adopted more animals from the SPCA there's less animals they'd have to put down.

If you have a better solution I'm all ears.

The person that worked for this company that says they were forced to kill these dogs is, i cant even think of anything horrible enough to call them.

Anyone with a brain the conversation would have gone down like this:

Company- hey Joe we need you to kill 100 dogs and dig a hole for a mass grave.

Joe- thats ok, i could do without killing 100 inocent animals.

Company- were going to have to fire you if you dont.

Joe- thats fine your business is complete shat, you bred all these dogs and now have no use for them because you have no clue how to run a business.

Company- get out Joe

Joe- well have fun with peta and every other animal rights group withing 10000km after i call the authorities and media.

So if the SPCA wasn't there, you'd rather people just shoot or abandon dogs/cats and other animals? I'm not saying the SPCA is perfect. It's doing the best it can. Would you rather have an animal that is suffering from cancer or other diseases live in misery, or be put down? If people adopted more animals from the SPCA there's less animals they'd have to put down. If you have a better solution I'm all ears.

Winter - Soo Valley Quest

Step onto one of our traditional dog sleds behind your team of energetic and loveable Alaskan Racing Huskies, and get ready for a unique backcountry journey. A professional dog sled musher will introduce you to this amazing Canadian sport and teach you the basics of driving your own sled. Learn straightforward commands and the simple sled-handling techniques. You'll get a thrill like no other as you head out into the pristine Soo Valley, handling your very own team of dogs. While on the trail, a professional guide will be nearby at all times, or you can ride with a guide.

ph.604 932 0647

http://www.adventureswhistler.com/dogsled-tours

I'm disgusted by the accounts of the person who did the culling on the noon news hour. Apparently, he filed a WCB claim for PTSD after the "culling". There was a report of some of these dogs getting their faces blown off, and still living. One report of a dog trying to crawl out of the mass grave it was put into after being "humanely" euthanised.

I cannot properly convey my disgust and anger.....both are too great and if I let loose the words and adjectives I'd like to use....i'm sure I'd break the swear filter.

The vast majority of property rentals in Whistler and Vancouver don't allow dogs or any pets at all in most cases. (I know someone who was evicted when their building manager found out - illegally - that they had a caged rat.) Even if lots of people wanted to adopt them, their landlords wouldn't allow it. The BC government has no problem with this, of course.

You'd at least think that there is some legislation requiring ethical treatment of animals used by BC businesses (like horseback riding ranches, etc.), but maybe not.

This piece of crap that killed these dogs should receive the same treatment as far as I'm concerned. If it wasn't for the law, I would love to be the one to shoot this guys face off and watch him stumble around.

Too all you leftist dorks that think I'm being a savage, sit on it. Humans as a whole are garbage and way too accommodating to filth like this guy

Give the owner one murder charge for every dog that he had killed. The person who did the killings is just as responsible too, yet they're acting like a victim?

If your boss told you to take a gun and go shoot a bunch of innocent dogs, would you not refuse? There has to be something psychologically wrong with those people.

And I find it hard to believe that they put any real effort into finding homes for them. One call to the SPCA or any animal shelter would have taken care of it, especially if you told them your alternative...

Archived