The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Vancouver Sun Article) Vigneault ‘Didn't Mean What He Said’ On Luongo Trade Request

Walking Paradox

I like that MG said they would compete for the no. 1 job, and I hope they're both back next season to see this it would be quite interesting.

But since these" Luongo leaving..? " rumors started I've been getting really upset thinking that he may actuallly not be here next year. All I want right now is to see that man hoist the cup and it would be a million times better if he was wearing our blue and green

All the more reasons for the haters to hate right? So what he made a few mistake during an interview? He is a human guys. People make stupid mistakes here and there. Was Kesler playing poorly? You bet he is. Maybe Av shouldn't be so harsh on him comment but fact is fact and truth always hurts. People blame Av for first round lost and that't the reason we should fire him. Let's just look at Chicago then. First round exist after winning the Stanley cup, sure their team isn't as stacked at that time, then what's their excuse this time against coyotes? Facing a super hot and good goalie? That sounds familar doesn't it? I wonder who else faced a greaet goalie in the first round. Then there is the Boston Bruins, eliminated in the first round after winning the stanley cup with a super stacked team. So should they fire their coach too? This year's playoff is full of surprises and Canucks isn't the top team to get knocked out in the first round. So should the GMs fire all of those coaches? There will be highs and low and if this team cannot handle this diversity then there is noway they will win the cup. And if the haters can't handle this diversity then just dont watch hockey. It will greatly benefit all of us

Take this quote from the Vancouver Sun article.Its not fictitious. Its your source.

Vigneault was asked if he agreed that Luongo needed a fresh start after being supplanted as the Canucks' No. 1 goalie by Cory Schneider during the playoffs. Vigneault replied (translated): “That's what he wants right now.”

I did not suggesting anything. AV said it. Then he back pedalled. According to MG "he said he didn't mean it, and corrected himself!" But its clear it was said.

Bertuzzi Babe; whats your interpretation of "thats what he wants right now?" Blind faith in the team & its leaders is admirable.

Bertuzzi himself also said he did not mean to hurt Moore; but he subpoena'd Crawford as a co dependent. That could only mean he felt he was under instructions? I suppose he did not mean that either...

Why do you think MG was doing the interview in the first place. The answer is damage control. Some of us choose to be fans without being gullible.

All the more reasons for the haters to hate right? So what he made a few mistake during an interview? He is a human guys. People make stupid mistakes here and there. Was Kesler playing poorly? You bet he is. Maybe Av shouldn't be so harsh on him comment but fact is fact and truth always hurts. People blame Av for first round lost and that't the reason we should fire him. Let's just look at Chicago then. First round exist after winning the Stanley cup, sure their team isn't as stacked at that time, then what's their excuse this time against coyotes? Facing a super hot and good goalie? That sounds familar doesn't it? I wonder who else faced a greaet goalie in the first round. Then there is the Boston Bruins, eliminated in the first round after winning the stanley cup with a super stacked team. So should they fire their coach too? This year's playoff is full of surprises and Canucks isn't the top team to get knocked out in the first round. So should the GMs fire all of those coaches? There will be highs and low and if this team cannot handle this diversity then there is noway they will win the cup. And if the haters can't handle this diversity then just dont watch hockey. It will greatly benefit all of us

MG was on the radio, and was quoted as having discussed with AV that he said it, but did not mean it!

I suppose the Holocaust did not happen either? :sick:

:lol:

A quote from The Sun - this is your credible source? :lol:

Unlike many others....... I am not 'gullible' enough to believe everything from media sources who have agendas of their own, those agendas primarily being selling papers and generating traffic to their boss' websites for $$$$. When I hear it specifically from MG, AV himself (who was quick to correct the misinterpretation of what he actually said) or Luo, then I will give this issue the credibility it deserves. There are several interpretations to “That's what he wants right now.” but you (along with others) just leapt immediately to whatever fit your own feelings about the situation. And media leapt on it to create controversy and sell more papers.

People seem to forget all about context and misinterpretation of another language in their zeal and rush to castigate and take AV to task.....I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread or newspaper article about him not chewing gum manufactured here in Canada.............woooooooh, now there's a story worthy of selling newspapers....... <_<.

People need to start thinking for themselves instead of getting sucked in by 'journalists' who if there is no news, they will create it.........and revel in the sh*t storm in creates.

Some of us choose to be knowledgeable fans, (and have been fans of this team long enough), that we don't get led around by the nose like sheeple to believe whatever media tells us is gospel. I've been a fan of this team for a very, very long time........through the very bad and the very good............and I've learned.......until you hear it from the proverbial horse's mouth.........ie: the GM, the Coach or the player themself, you take it all with a grain of salt....... unlike those who fall hook, line and sinker for whatever manufactured tidbit media chooses to force feed you on any given day.

(And subpoenaing Crawford was a lawyer move.......you need to learn a little more about gamesmanship in the legal business. ;))

Really?

Player with ntc is being shopped = player has waived ntc = player wants out.

The moment Lou is shopped every GM knows he wants out. Which means AV saying so is nothing they don't already know. As long as there is more than one GM interested in Lou you get a bidding war which will maximize his trade value. Your assessment is either just plain stupid or a weak attempt to put AV down.

when game 5 ended and the media scrum bad-gered Luongo regarding the fact he did not start the last three games, and started the speculation about his future, he said that he would waive his ntc if the team wanted him to... not Luongo's fault - perhaps he could have said no comment, but he didn't say "I want out of here" either.

MG made it pretty clear he hasn't decided what the Canucks will do, whether that is trade Luongo, trade Schneider, or keep them both.

AV said that if Luongo wants out, then he will be let out... not much of a story there, except what is fabricated by story-makers.

The rest is yet to be determined, and a bunch of bullcrap started by hasty media types with agendas that aren't really in the best interests of the Canucks.

Gillis also talks about Vigneault's comments on Kesler's season and Daniels injury

http://www.vancouver...0236/story.html

VANCOUVER — Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said Friday that head coach Alain Vigneault “misspoke” when he told a French-language TV show that goalie Roberto Luongo wanted a trade out of Vancouver.

Appearing on the club's flagship radio station Team 1040, Gillis said that he and Vigneault talked Thursday night and the coach explained that he “didn't mean what he said” about Luongo.

In the original interview Wednesday night, Vigneault was asked if he agreed that Luongo needed a fresh start after being supplanted as the Canucks' No. 1 goalie by Cory Schneider during the playoffs. Vigneault replied (translated): “That's what he wants right now.”

According to Gillis, Vigneault later corrected that statement with his interviewers.

“[That] is my understanding,” Gillis said. “I haven't heard the interview but he went and told whoever was conducting it that he had misspoke immediately after it happened and I think he did. Like I said, I haven't heard the interview but that's what Alain told me last night and that he clarified it in his mind ... you know, [he] didn't mean what he said.”

Gillis reiterated Luongo has maintained the same stance — he would accept a trade if it best suited the team — that he declared to reporters in his April 24 exit interviews.

“No, it's not full-on that we're trying to find him a new home,” Gillis said. “What he indicated was that if we felt a change was necessary, he would do whatever was best for the team once we made that decision. And that's all he said.

“We haven't come to the conclusion yet what's in the best interests of the team and Roberto is going to be part of the process. I talked to him again last week to see how he was feeling and we're going to start moving ahead now that we've cleared up some other issues. We'll start looking at where we want to go with this situation and others.”

Gillis further added that if both Luongo and Schneider were back, they would compete for the No. 1 job. (On his conference call Wednesday, Vigneault had strongly hinted Schneider would start next season as the No. 1. “What happened in the playoffs would be an indication of what might happen moving forward,” said the coach.)

“I know you guys want to read into every possible meaning that you can,” Gillis continued, “but the reality is that if both are back, they'll be competing for the No. 1 job and whoever wins it will win it.”

Luongo's agent, Gilles Lupien, did not reply to an interview request Friday.

On another matter, Gillis said he felt there would be no divide between Vigneault and centre Ryan Kesler after comments by the coach on the player's performance didn't sit well with the latter, or his agent.

“No, not at all,” responded Gillis. “Coaches are paid to make hard decisions and to get the most out of people. We're at a point in time in the evolution of our organization where excuses aren't accepted and, if you're cleared to play, you play. We'll take into account everything that goes into it but I'm not worried about any divide.”

Kesler injured his left shoulder Feb. 9, didn't miss a game but then required major surgery on May 8. He finished the season on a 17-game goal-less streak.

“Ryan was cleared for play and he wanted to play but clearly he wasn't as effective as he was the year before,” Gillis said. “There are probably a lot of reasons that went into that. Injuries are part of it but, if you're cleared to play, you're cleared to play. There are no excuses. You have to perform and this year, among others, he didn't perform at the level that he expected or we expected.”

Gillis also explained the Daniel Sedin concussion situation and how Vigneault was caught off guard when Daniel wasn't ready to start the playoffs. Sedin was hurt March 21 when elbowed in the head by Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Duncan Keith.

“Daniel was trending in the right direction,” said the GM. “Everything was going extremely well. He felt well and then, for whatever reason with these types of injuries, he didn't feel he was 100 per cent for a couple of days. That's when we understood his progression wasn't going as well as we perhaps thought.

“Sometimes with these injuries, the players themselves are so desperate to get back they want to believe that they're healing and they want to believe the next day is going to be better than the previous one,” Gillis added. “Sometimes that just doesn't happen. I think Daniel was really hungry to get back in the lineup. He knew the importance of what was coming and felt like he was feeling okay. Then he wasn't feeling okay

Thoughts?

Boy, I can't wait until AV is no longer the coach, and Gillis is no longer the GM. They're the Keystone Cops of the NHL (see Wiki if necessary).

That throttling noise you hear is not only the sound of these guys pulling their feet out of their mouths, but the sound of water gurgling through the planks as the ship slowly sinks.

Ain't it great to be a Canucks fan?

Bonehead of the year award to AV. Is he trying to make his boss look stupid so that the woners will fire MG? Right now, MG is looking ridiculously stupid for hiring AV, a coach who regularly fires valuable players under the bus, see Luongo, Hodgson, Kesler, Mitchell, etc. But AV's ridiculous ego - there's only one way to coach and that's his way - and he taught the ex Pittsburch coach everything he knew - and his latest round of ego inspired stupidity is sure making Gillis look like a clown for hiring his sorry donkey.

Gillis is a moron he brought back AV. With the way the team played during the playoffs, he clearly has lost the team. He is not as great as a leader that most believe people.

First interview with the media and instead of trying to get fans to support him for next season, he puts Luongo and Kesler under the bus.

That's why with AV we will go nowhere in the playoffs. He is clueless on how to lead a team.

Gillis you moron, you made a horrible horrible horrible mistake.

What was the point of resigning? Why not light a fire under his ass and tell him, either get it done or you are gone. With the way they approached it, here's more money for sucking. It doesn't matter that we lost to an 8th seeded team.

Archived