The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE & SIGN] Vokoun to Pens

As much as people are reading into this as a Luongo value-raising development for a trade, i think it raises his value so much that we'll keep him and Schneider for awhile yet.

Fleury is a 70game starter. A franchise guy. Did he look good in the playoffs? Nope. So they're spending $2mil on a backup.

Will Schneider (or Luongo) look good after that many games? Probably not. So why not keep the Jennings pair together for a bit longer?

Meh. We'll see.

TOML

As much as people are reading into this as a Luongo value-raising development for a trade, i think it raises his value so much that we'll keep him and Schneider for awhile yet.

Fleury is a 70game starter. A franchise guy. Did he look good in the playoffs? Nope. So they're spending $2mil on a backup.

Will Schneider (or Luongo) look good after that many games? Probably not. So why not keep the Jennings pair together for a bit longer?

Meh. We'll see.

TOML

Meh. We'll see.

TOML

I loved the Pens before this (second fave team after the nucks) and now i Love them ever more! Thank you Pens for just upping the returns we will see for Lou, took out the 'supply' of experience and bidding tension that Toronto and maybe Tampa had...

What you got now burkey? lol

Eddie Lack is 24 - and probably ready to give the backup role a shot - in two years from now he will be 26, have two years of exceptional backup work under his belt - will be Schneider's current age - and we'll have this sweet dilemma all over again :bigblush:

p.s. Lack's .925 and .926 save % the last two years in the AHL are actually more consistent and impressive than Schneider's excellent performance before joining the Canucks...

This is actually a very, very good contract deal for the Pens. 2 million for this guy? He should be paid double that. No, he didn't have a great season last year but it was accceptable, and his previous years have been in elite territory.

It would be foolish to expect Lack to be ready for such a role. By all means, give him a shot, but here's how I look at it: Schneider has not yet appeared in more than 33 NHL games in a season. 33 is not many! In his first year as a starter he should be given perhaps 50-55 games - that means we will need a backup who can deliver solid goaltending for about 30 games - equal to the MOST games Schneider has ever played in an NHL season. We need a reliable, seasoned veteran backup. I think we should try to sign Scott Clemmensen if Florida does not re-sign him. If we can't do that, Brent Johnson provided great backup goaltending for the Penguins and looks to be on the way out with their acquisition of Vokoun.

Archived