The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Thomas comes out against gay marriage

Banning gay marriage is unconstitutional anyways, so I cant understand how anyone can justify it.

You cant trample on the rights of the individual because of one groups religious beliefs.

If you dont believe in same sex marriage, then you dont have to marry a gay person. And that should be the end of it.

Yes, Tim Thomas has the right to voice his opinion. As an American citizen, he has the right to give his opinions. However, as he makes these statements public, people have every right to challenge his opinions. Those of you saying "it's his right so speak, leave him alone" are hilarious. So he can have his say in a public forum like his facebook and nobody can challenge him on it?

Yes, Tim Thomas has the right to voice his opinion. As an American citizen, he has the right to give his opinions. However, as he makes these statements public, people have every right to challenge his opinions. Those of you saying "it's his right so speak, leave him alone" are hilarious. So he can have his say in a public forum like his facebook and nobody can challenge him on it?

And while he's not so-called "hate-mongering" he is promoting prejudice. Yep, I said it. It's prejudice. Denying another human being the simple rights and freedoms that he enjoys every day is prejudice. There is no difference between racism and homophobia in that they are both forms of prejudice and intolerance.

You may debate all day whether people are born gay, or if there's a gay gene, or if homosexuality is a choice. The point, why does that even matter? It shouldn't. Denying someone basic human rights based on one's sexuality however, should matter.

Some of you have also noted that those here denouncing Tim Thomas' views as intolerant, are intolerant ourselves. I will admit it, I am intolerant of anyone who believes themselves superior to anyone else for reasons of race, sexual orientation, religion etc. If we were never intolerant of prejudice and hatred, where would we be now?

What if humanity had never stood up for the rights of women, of black slaves? What of religious freedom? You claim that calling out bigotry is to be intolerant in itself. You may call it whatever you want, but those who attempt to deny others their rights and freedoms don't deserve tolerance.

You'll have to explain to me what was "ignorant" about my post. I responded to a post that stated sympathy with the religious side of the argument, because the non-religious side was "unaccepting".

I pointed out that being against something (in this case gay marriage rights) is pretty much the definition of "unaccepting", as in "we don't accept the rights of gays to enjoy the same freedoms that the straight community enjoys".

From the OP's post .....................

BOSTON (CBS) — The mayor of Boston generated a bit of a buzz with his letter damning Chick-Fil-A and its stance against same-sex marriages, but chances are Bruins goalie Tim Thomas is about to generate a whole lot more.

Thomas, currently beginning his one year away from hockey, posted to his ever-controversial Facebook page on Thursday afternoon, offering support for Chick-Fil-A amid the national debate on the fast food chain.

“I stand with Chick-fil-A,” Thomas wrote. “Chick-fil-A is privately owned by the Cathy family. The company president, Dan Cathy, drew the wrath of gay rights advocates and supporters when he made recent statements that some have alleged are anti-gay.”

*******************************************************************************************************

And now a little update. Looks like it isn't easy cleaning up verbal trash for a living.

Chick-fil-A's Vice President of Public Relations Dies of Heart Attack

RR-logo_003910.pngBy Amy Bingham | ABC News – 7 hrs ago

Chick-fil-A's Vice President of Public Relations Don Perry died "suddenly" Friday morning, the company confirmed. Perry was based in the Atlanta area and worked in Chick-fil-A's corporate communications department.

Perry's death comes amid controversy this week over comments that Chick-fil-A's CEO Dan Cathy made against gay marriage. Cathy told the Baptist Press that he was "guilty as charged" for supporting "the biblical definition of the family unit."

http://news.yahoo.com/chick-fil-vice-president-public-relations-dies-heart-192201763--abc-news-politics.html

So why it is okay for him to be against Gay marriage, but not for me to be against religion? Thomas is an asshat anyways, I have 0 respect for him. Chara is a man, he will always have my respect.

FYI

Religion had nothing to do with 9/11

The US government defends Israeli interests.

Israel have been torturing and murdering the Palestinian people for years, after invading their country.

The US also controls and defends middle eastern financial interests. They defend those interests with deadly force.

9/11 was about money and power, not religion.

I think I rolled my eyes so far back I almost became blind.

If Thomas were to come out and make a racist statement about how he is against black people and supports slavery, does that mean his beliefs are still acceptable, just because he "pays taxes and he's entitled to an opinion in this 'free' country?" Pathetic.

Being able to spend the rest of your life with whomever you want is a basic human right. I can't believe there are still people in this world that are against homosexuality, it makes me lose more and more faith in humanity.. if I even had any to begin with.

Archived