The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

19 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Hoping for a good game and Atlanta win. Can't wait to finally be able to watch Super Bowl commercials on Fox without CTVs Crap commercials simulcast over them.

CTV so scared of losing viewers they are giving away prizes to watch their channel.

F CTV. The CRTC listened and gave the people what they wanted!!

Americas game isn't fully American with crap Canadian commercials.

If you watch TV for commercials, even at Super Bowl time, that's just as sad as the majority of halftime shows. It just shows that you are a slave to consumerism.

Rarely are the commercials that good. (I can only think of the Apple 1984 ad), but how many people bought Mac computers after that? 

There are good commercials randomly throughout the year. The majority are just crap. I think folks have lost the fact there's a championship football game being played. 

I'm not watching because I have zero interest in either team. I can agree that a lot of Canadian ads are crap. But it didn't used to be that way. And comparing ads that cost $250,000 Canadian (if that?) to $4.5-5 million for the superb owl. Some have cost up to $12.4 Million dollars.

For a Chrysler 200......

Call me old fashioned. I don't care. I grew up in the 70's and back then the Grey Cup and Super Bowl even if it wasn't reflected in the score it was a championship game. 

And football was all that was discussed. Now it's the sideshow, gambling, and 8 hours of useless TV discussions. Congrats to either New England or Atlanta. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If you watch TV for commercials, even at Super Bowl time, that's just as sad as the majority of halftime shows. It just shows that you are a slave to consumerism.

Rarely are the commercials that good. (I can only think of the Apple 1984 ad), but how many people bought Mac computers after that? 

There are good commercials randomly throughout the year. The majority are just crap. I think folks have lost the fact there's a championship football game being played. 

I'm not watching because I have zero interest in either team. I can agree that a lot of Canadian ads are crap. But it didn't used to be that way. And comparing ads that cost $250,000 Canadian (if that?) to $4.5-5 million for the superb owl. Some have cost up to $12.4 Million dollars.

For a Chrysler 200......

Call me old fashioned. I don't care. I grew up in the 70's and back then the Grey Cup and Super Bowl even if it wasn't reflected in the score it was a championship game. 

And football was all that was discussed. Now it's the sideshow, gambling, and 8 hours of useless TV discussions. Congrats to either New England or Atlanta. 

Whoa, sideshow or not it is one of the biggest single day events on Earth. The NFL is already ridiculous when it comes to advertising. Regular season games leave me channel surfing for minutes at a time because I hate commercials, but the one day I won't surf is Super Bowl Sunday. It's added entertainment to an already big day. Considering these playoffs have been pretty lackluster this year I'll take the free laughs in between whistles in addition to all the game day commentary. 

Chances are insanely high that I'll not buy anything as a result of an advertisement. I already know what I like and am not easily swayed by marketing gimmicks. Budweiser can make the best commercial of the century that will have me laughing, crying, hugging all my friends and calling my mom, but the beer is still piss so my money goes elsewhere.

• Upvote 2

Looking forward to the game. Should be a very entertaining one. I got my eye on the commercials also since they're pretty entertaining to watch and are usually pretty funny. I heard Justin Bieber was going to be featured in a Super Bowl commercial on the radio. Looking forward to watching that. Go Falcons and enjoy the game, folks!