The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

The fan who gave back Tom Brady’s 600th touchdown ball made a huge mistake

A Bucs fan was handed a game ball that could be worth half a million dollars ... but he decided to give it back to Tom Brady.

By Ricky O'Donnell and Ricky O'Donnell   

Byron Kennedy put on his Mike Evans jersey and headed to Raymond James Stadium to take his front row seat for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ game against the Chicago Bears on Sunday. At the time, the 29-year-old Bucs fan had no idea was going was going to be handed an incredibly valuable piece of sports memorabilia before willingly deciding to give it up.

Bucs quarterback Tom Brady entered the game against the Bears with an NFL record 598 touchdowns. With two touchdown tosses, Brady would become the first player in NFL history to throw 600 TDs. After throwing his first touchdown to Chris Godwin minutes earlier, Brady put himself in position to hit the round number as the Bucs capitalized on a Chicago fumble near the end of the first quarter.

On 3rd-and-7 from the 9-yard line, Brady dropped back to pass and hit Evans for the TD. Evans apparently didn’t realize this was touchdown No. 600, because he ran to the back of the end zone and handed the ball to Kennedy, the fan wearing his jersey in the stands.

Minutes later, a Bucs staffer approached Kennedy to get the ball back for Brady. Kennedy agreed and gave it up. That was a costly decision.

CBS sideline reporter Tracy Wolfson got the initial scoop, saying the Bucs were going to send Kennedy another ball and a signed jersey. Announcers Tony Romo and Jim Nantz immediately exclaimed “that’s a bad deal!” — and, well — they aren’t wrong.

The sports memorabilia market is hot right now. How much could Kennedy have sold the ball for? He was almost certainly looking at something in the six figure range. One auction leader estimated the ball could have pulled in $600K on the open market.

Brady was asked about getting the ball back in the post-game press conference after the Bucs went on to win a rout, 38-3, over the Bears.

Brady said he doesn’t keep too many things from games, but he wanted to keep this touchdown ball. He said he’d give Kennedy “something nice in return.” The Athletic’s Greg Auman reported the fan was getting a $1K gift certificate to the Bucs’ team store in addition to a replacement ball.

The Tampa Bay Times caught up with Kennedy after the game. He said he was hesitant to give up the ball, but ultimately did it out of his respect for Brady.

“I knew how much it meant to Tom,” said Kennedy, who was given a different ball after handing over the historic one, “and I was willing to trade.”

Kennedy is a better dude than me, because I would be running out of the stadium the second I was handed that ball. Imagine potentially giving up half a million dollars. He’s got to be sick. Fortunately, it sounds like Kennedy has a pretty good career for himself.

Our favorite part of this whole incident? Mike Evans realizing that was a pretty important touchdown ball he gave away.

It ended up not being a costly mistake for Evans, but giving the ball away sure was one for Kennedy.

^They just said the fan got:  a replacement ball, 2 team signed jerseys,  a Tom Brady signed helmet, Evans jersey and cleats, $1000 GC, 2 seasons tickets for the rest of this year and next year.

I think he did the right thing....you'd be a real jerk not to give the ball back knowing it was intended for the record holder.

• Cheers 3

22 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

^They just said the fan got:  a replacement ball, 2 team signed jerseys,  a Tom Brady signed helmet, Evans jersey and cleats, $1000 GC, 2 seasons tickets for the rest of this year and next year.

I think he did the right thing....you'd be a real jerk not to give the ball back knowing it was intended for the record holder.

Brady said something about throwing him a bitcoin too on the Manning MNF.  At the end of the day, if you're a fan, you do the player a solid.  Sure as hell wouldn't do it for an opposing player though.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 2

On 10/25/2021 at 3:26 PM, Mj2345 said:

Must Win for Pete Carroll and his Seahawks Tonight on MNF.

Well well....

It may be time to revisit the Russel Wilson trade request from the offseason....

if the Seahawks were forced to deal him which I don't think they would do until they were absolutely pushed to the limit, or offered a deal they couldn't refuse like say they  got 3 first round picks or some great young players.. woukd they pull the trigger?

if I am Denver,Pittsburgh, or Cleveland I would be all over that trying to see what it would take to land Wilson. Deshaun Watson's sexual assualt charges make him a risky play right now for a team giving up an ass load of assets.

Quality qbs are incredibly difficult to find. The NFL draft doesnt look promising this year so I wouldn't completely rule out a Russ trade if he is still unhappy about his lack of input in personnel the team brings in.

19 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Call the trainer. I think I strained my Achilles tendon walking down stairs. 

God, I hate getting old. 

Christ gramps you pushing 70 now or what? Fack sakes...:lol:

29 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

It may be time to revisit the Russel Wilson trade request from the offseason....

I'm in "blow it up and rebuild" camp. Get something important for the future, because they have no "now".

Thing being if Russ is going then probably time for coach to go to.

Seattle, the dynasty that wasn't. They were done on the play they didn't hand off to Lynch. Never the same and only shadows of what they were.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Well well....

if the Seahawks were forced to deal him which I don't think they would do until they were absolutely pushed to the limit, or offered a deal they couldn't refuse like say they  got 3 first round picks or some great young players.. woukd they pull the trigger?

if I am Denver,Pittsburgh, or Cleveland I would be all over that trying to see what it would take to land Wilson. Deshaun Watson's sexual assualt charges make him a risky play right now for a team giving up an ass load of assets.

Quality qbs are incredibly difficult to find. The NFL draft doesnt look promising this year so I wouldn't completely rule out a Russ trade if he is still unhappy about his lack of input in personnel the team brings in.

Christ gramps you pushing 70 now or what? Fack sakes...:lol:

As a Broncos fan, I'm not parting with the kind of assets it would take.  He's a hell of a player and I admire his toughness, but it's a miracle he's been as durable as he has been with the way the offensive line plays.  I would suspect age will catch up with him sooner than average.

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Just read a report that said JJ Watt is done for the season. (Shoulder surgery) https://www.sportsnet.ca/nfl/article/report-j-j-watt-likely-miss-rest-season-shoulder-surgery/

That's a blow to the Cards' defense. I'm guessing Aaron Rodgers is a happy man after seeing that....

Damn.  Poor guy has been dominant despite all the injuries, and is an incredible guy off the field as well.  I really was hoping he'd be able to finally see some playoff success.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/26/2021 at 5:19 PM, King Heffy said:

As a Broncos fan, I'm not parting with the kind of assets it would take.  He's a hell of a player and I admire his toughness, but it's a miracle he's been as durable as he has been with the way the offensive line plays.  I would suspect age will catch up with him sooner than average.

The TB12 stuff hes been doing really helps. Ive seen interviews of defensive players hitting Brady and they even said it feels different hitting him. Almost as if hes made out of elastic. I don't think hes going to last till 50 but 2 more seasons MAYBE. As long as he's surrounded with talent, he can still be good. Mannings last season, his arm was absolutely dead and was still able to beat teams with just sheer knowledge of the game. Doesn't hurt he had a great defence too

Phish gave us a bit tougher game than expected, but the Bills got it done....

Meanwhile, 2 ban burner games going on....Titans - Colts going to OT and the Jets with the huge comeback against the Bengals...trying to close the deal as I type this....