The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

Hello xxxx , Account ID: xxxxxxx

Today, we made the very difficult decision to relieve Mike Benevides of his duties as Head Coach of the BC Lions.

Our football team experienced a very tumultuous season in 2014. Still, we believe as an organization that the team was capable of more than what we accomplished in the regular season and in the playoffs. In short, we underperformed and failed to meet both our own expectations and the expectations of our fans.

Mike is a very good coach as well as an outstanding husband and father. His commitment and loyalty to our organization was endless and we wish him the very best in the future.

Success in football is measured each week however, and we cannot lose sight of the fact that we owe our fans, sponsors and partners nothing but the highest quality product on the field.

The 2014 football season ended for our club on the afternoon of Sunday, November 16th and our work to win a championship has begun.

On behalf of our owner David Braley, our President & CEO Dennis Skulsky, and the entire BC Lions organization, I thank you for your continued support of our organization and I look forward to our success in 2015.

Best Regards,

Wally Buono
General Manager and VP of Football Operations
BC Lions Football Club

Coach B just wasn't ready to be a head coach. Charging up and down the sidelines yelling and screaming like a tyrant made the players tune out as far as I see it. His inability to adapt on the fly really hurt us. Was painful to watch him get out coached during many games.

They showed a clip of him giving the team his "motivational" speech before a game, and he was yelling something about "chopping their head off" repeatedly before storming out of the dressing room. The players were mostly sitting in their stalls and I could swear that a few were trying not to laugh. It actually made me cringe.

I've said this previously, it always to me felt like he was trying too hard to earn respect by trying to be the players friend, when in fact the way he acted and talked probably had the opposite effect.

They showed a clip of him giving the team his "motivational" speech before a game, and he was yelling something about "chopping their head off" repeatedly before storming out of the dressing room. The players were mostly sitting in their stalls and I could swear that a few were trying not to laugh. It actually made me cringe.

I've said this previously, it always to me felt like he was trying too hard to earn respect by trying to be the players friend, when in fact the way he acted and talked probably had the opposite effect.

Yeah, I saw that clip as well. The team had completely tuned him out as far as it hyping them up.

Can't remember which player it was, but it was only a few games ago I think. He scored his first TD I believe and he went running to the sideline, coach B was there to congratulate him and he completely ignored him and went to Jones instead. He lost the team and it showed at the end of the season.

I'm also starting to wonder if he had the respect of the officials, sure were a lot of bogus calls against us. I watched him a few times pregame and at halftime reading them the riot act.

Wally should have been booted too. I don't understand why he's staying on. All the veteran players that he got rid of from not only last year, but in his tenture. Alot of good players were let go by him including what he did to Geroy, which was totally disrespectful and wrong. Wally even had a chance to re-acquire him back from Riders but he refused to bring him back. Wally was the one who hand picked his successor and

hired Benny. So where's the accountability on Wally.

So the list of potential head coaching candidates:

Dickenson

LaPolice

Cortez (altho he didn't work out too as Head Coach in Hamilton but the team wasn't very good). He would be good as OC should whoever is hired decide to fire most or all of the coaching staff and hire their own staff. I wasn't terribly impressed with Jones as OC. Offensive struggled to score.

Trestman (should he become available)

I'm sure there will be more names that get added.

Lions are adamant about not wanting a recycled coach, but rather someone who can bring new and fresh ideas.

Edited by J529

"Get ready to take your ass home"?

LOL, anyone else hear that?

I was kind of hoping the Als would win this week to have to come to our house for the biggest game of the season after all of their talk last week. But they went and blew that chance.

10830891_10154869435645554_5767945097340

Lions linebacker Solomon Elimimian now ranks among the greats of the Canadian Football League. He's the first defensive player ever to be named the CFL MOP.

VANCOUVER - Linebacker Solomon Elimimian was handed a No. 56 jersey in his first season with the B.C. Lions. People assumed he had asked for the number specifically because it was the same combination worn by Lawrence Taylor of the New York Giants, the fiercest linebacker of his era.

Elimimian said no. There wasn’t a conscious attempt to make a connection with Taylor, although he admired the man’s playing style.

“Of course, he was an animal, a beast, a monster,” Elimimian said. “But I can’t put my name anywhere close to the greats. They (Lions) just gave me this number. I didn’t ask for it.”

His name now ranks among the greats of the Canadian Football League, however, after the 28-year-old linebacker from the University of Hawaii was named the league’s most outstanding player Thursday night at the 102nd Grey Cup game awards gala at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver.

Elimimian became the first player on the defensive side of the ball to be named the league’s MOP after he out-polled Toronto Argonauts quarterback Ricky Ray in voting by 62 members of the Football Reporters of Canada. Angelo Snipes, a linebacker with the Ottawa Rough Riders, came closest to doing so before, when he was runner-up to Calgary Stampeders’ MOP quarterback Doug Flutie in 1992.

The Lions’ linebacker received 48 first-place votes for most outstanding player, and his margin was even more decisive in the count for defensive player of the year. Elimimian got 58 first-place votes in that category in finishing ahead of Montreal Alouettes linebacker Bear Woods.

The other award winners Thursday night were Jon Cornish of the Calgary Stampeders (top Canadian), Brett Jones of the Stampeders (top offensive lineman), kicker Swayze Waters of the Toronto Argonauts (top special teams player) and Dexter McCoil of the Edmonton Eskimos (top rookie).

In a year in which offensive numbers were down, star quarterbacks and running backs were injured, and many games turned into grinding defensive affairs, Elimimian became a man for his time.

He surpassed J.C. Sherritt’s previous record for defensive tackles in a season — Sherritt had 130, two years ago, playing for the Edmonton Eskimos — with 143 and also eclipsed the single-season tackles record with 151. Elimimian recorded an additional eight tackles on special teams.

Born in Nigeria but raised in the inner-city of Los Angeles, Elimimian was signed by the Buffalo Bills after graduation from Hawaii but was cut before the start of the NFL season.

He spent a year out of the game, despairing for his future in football, before he attended a Lions’ free-agent camp in the Los Angeles area.

The CFL club actually was more interested in his teammate with the Rainbow Warriors, linebacker Adam Leonard. But Elimimian’s speed and physicality impressed the coaching staff, which granted him an invitation to training camp.

Injured in his first camp, he came close to being released when head coach Wally Buono warned him to get out, or ship out, if he didn’t get back on the field. Elimimian was listed fourth on the depth chart at his position.

A spiritual man, Elimimian said he got down on his knees and prayed for strength. He toughed it out, began to exhibit the relentless aggression that is characteristic of his play and earned a spot on the roster.

Elimimian started 13 games in his rookie season, 2010, finishing the year with 77 defensive tackles, 11 special teams tackles and five quarterback sacks. He won the Jackie Parker Trophy, as rookie of the year, over Hamilton running back Marcus Thigpen.

Elimimian’s father, retired university English professor Isaac Elimimian, has an aversion to flying and wasn’t at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre to see his son receive Canadian football’s highest honours.

But his older brother, Abe, the defensive coordinator at Simon Fraser University, sister Elizabeth, a medical student at the University of Wisconsin, and his mother, Theresa, a psychologist by training, were in his cheering section Thursday.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Elimimian+captures+outstanding+player+defender+awards/10420979/story.html

10830891_10154869435645554_5767945097340

Lions linebacker Solomon Elimimian now ranks among the greats of the Canadian Football League. He's the first defensive player ever to be named the CFL MOP.

VANCOUVER - Linebacker Solomon Elimimian was handed a No. 56 jersey in his first season with the B.C. Lions. People assumed he had asked for the number specifically because it was the same combination worn by Lawrence Taylor of the New York Giants, the fiercest linebacker of his era.

Elimimian said no. There wasn’t a conscious attempt to make a connection with Taylor, although he admired the man’s playing style.

“Of course, he was an animal, a beast, a monster,” Elimimian said. “But I can’t put my name anywhere close to the greats. They (Lions) just gave me this number. I didn’t ask for it.”

His name now ranks among the greats of the Canadian Football League, however, after the 28-year-old linebacker from the University of Hawaii was named the league’s most outstanding player Thursday night at the 102nd Grey Cup game awards gala at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver.

Elimimian became the first player on the defensive side of the ball to be named the league’s MOP after he out-polled Toronto Argonauts quarterback Ricky Ray in voting by 62 members of the Football Reporters of Canada. Angelo Snipes, a linebacker with the Ottawa Rough Riders, came closest to doing so before, when he was runner-up to Calgary Stampeders’ MOP quarterback Doug Flutie in 1992.

The Lions’ linebacker received 48 first-place votes for most outstanding player, and his margin was even more decisive in the count for defensive player of the year. Elimimian got 58 first-place votes in that category in finishing ahead of Montreal Alouettes linebacker Bear Woods.

The other award winners Thursday night were Jon Cornish of the Calgary Stampeders (top Canadian), Brett Jones of the Stampeders (top offensive lineman), kicker Swayze Waters of the Toronto Argonauts (top special teams player) and Dexter McCoil of the Edmonton Eskimos (top rookie).

In a year in which offensive numbers were down, star quarterbacks and running backs were injured, and many games turned into grinding defensive affairs, Elimimian became a man for his time.

He surpassed J.C. Sherritt’s previous record for defensive tackles in a season — Sherritt had 130, two years ago, playing for the Edmonton Eskimos — with 143 and also eclipsed the single-season tackles record with 151. Elimimian recorded an additional eight tackles on special teams.

Born in Nigeria but raised in the inner-city of Los Angeles, Elimimian was signed by the Buffalo Bills after graduation from Hawaii but was cut before the start of the NFL season.

He spent a year out of the game, despairing for his future in football, before he attended a Lions’ free-agent camp in the Los Angeles area.

The CFL club actually was more interested in his teammate with the Rainbow Warriors, linebacker Adam Leonard. But Elimimian’s speed and physicality impressed the coaching staff, which granted him an invitation to training camp.

Injured in his first camp, he came close to being released when head coach Wally Buono warned him to get out, or ship out, if he didn’t get back on the field. Elimimian was listed fourth on the depth chart at his position.

A spiritual man, Elimimian said he got down on his knees and prayed for strength. He toughed it out, began to exhibit the relentless aggression that is characteristic of his play and earned a spot on the roster.

Elimimian started 13 games in his rookie season, 2010, finishing the year with 77 defensive tackles, 11 special teams tackles and five quarterback sacks. He won the Jackie Parker Trophy, as rookie of the year, over Hamilton running back Marcus Thigpen.

Elimimian’s father, retired university English professor Isaac Elimimian, has an aversion to flying and wasn’t at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre to see his son receive Canadian football’s highest honours.

But his older brother, Abe, the defensive coordinator at Simon Fraser University, sister Elizabeth, a medical student at the University of Wisconsin, and his mother, Theresa, a psychologist by training, were in his cheering section Thursday.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Elimimian+captures+outstanding+player+defender+awards/10420979/story.html

Congrats to Sol..he is also the first and only CFL player to win 3 different awards..Rookie...Defensive and MOP..

What a beast. Can't believe he is not in the NFL. Smart well spoken guy too. Comes from an educated family not your typical aggressive inner city thug who takes out his aggression on the football field and also abuses women and does other stupid crap off the field.

Edited by Chip Kelly

What a beast. Can't believe he is not in the NFL. Smart well spoken guy too. Comes from an educated family not your typical aggressive inner city thug who takes out his aggression on the football field and also abuses women and does other stupid crap off the field.

He tried, just isn't a fit for the NFL game. Oh well, their loss, our gain.

Garcia was a star quarterback but has only been a coach in Montreal for a couple of months. Not sure if he was an O.C. or quarterback coach but if that is all he's done as a coach it is too soon.

When he first joined Montreal he was hired as offensive consultant. Days later he was named quarterbacks coach. That's all the coaching he's done.

He tried, just isn't a fit for the NFL game. Oh well, their loss, our gain.

Actually I'm pretty sure he was injured both times. With the Vikings he was playing on special teams and his last NFL shot with Browns he had a calf injury so he couldn't' show his explosiveness.

There are guys his size and smaller playing linebacker in the NFL like Wesley Woodyard of the Titans and Lavonte David of the Bucaneers who have played pretty well.

Thing is he probably needs to be in the right defensive system to function at a decent level. He is ideally suited as an inside linebacker in a 4-3 alignment though he is not great in pass coverage and would have a tougher time in run support due to his smaller size theoretically and is probably the reason he runs into injuries playing his physical style while trying to hit bigger players down south.

So Adam Bighill probably has a better shot being an NFL safety if he dropped 10 pounds at his size of 5 foot 10 230 pounds he is very good in coverage as a linebacker so he could make a pretty decent NFL strong safety I think who would excel in run support and be decent in pass coverage if he dropped some weight and improved his speed.

Then again he is another guy like Sheritt suited to playing LB in the CFL game like you said.

Edited by Chip Kelly

4 veterans won't be back with Lions next season: Khalif Mitchell, Dante Marsh, Kevin Glenn, Ricky Schmitt. This is expected to be confirmed at afternoon news conference tomorrow.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ullrich+Lions+rebuild+without+some+vets/10431389/story.html

It’s about clearing the decks or, to use Wally Buono’s own words, burning the ship. Either way, the B.C. Lions are about to start the process of rebuilding the CFL team.

Once the general manager of the Lions begins a debriefing of his remaining coaches Tuesday morning, the club is expected to confirm at an afternoon news conference that at least four veteran players will not be asked to return next season.

Cornerback Dante Marsh already had a good idea he wouldn’t be back when he wasn’t given a form to sign with his final paycheque that would ensure the option year of his contract was being picked up.

Quarterback Kevin Glenn, who was unable to generate any offence in the scheme of co-ordinator Khari Jones relative to expectations, also knew he would not be offered a new contract after the East Division semifinal.

But the Lions are going further. They are also expected to confirm that tackle Khalif Mitchell and punter Ricky Schmitt won’t be back either.

Mitchell gave B.C. little in the way of a pass rush and had some players suggesting he was given preferential treatment.

Schmitt started well after signed as a free agent but tailed off badly and was ultimately replaced by Paul McCallum.

McCallum has worked out a 2015 deal and is expected to be back for his 23rd season kicking field goals with practice roster rookie import Richie Leone handling punts and kickoffs.

Mitchell’s departure will mean the Lions will allow rookie Rob Lohr to contest a spot next season. Marsh will be replaced by T.J. Lee, who had an increased role last year that enabled the 12-year cornerback to understand his time with the Lions had come to an inglorious end.

B.C. only has three other pending free agents, including safety J.R. LaRose, who wasn’t sure after the season whether he would be asked back. It means the Lions have no other way to commence a transition that must continue after they undoubtedly noticed how far they have slipped behind the teams playing for the Grey Cup at B.C. Place Stadium on Sunday.