The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

I was just thinking that if the NFL switched to a three down system I'd start watching it more. Four downs is just ridiculous, aren't those quarter backs good enough to do it with three downs? Crazy, way too easy with that many attempts.

4 downs is football.

Geroy returning to Lions

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Geroy+Simon+coming+back+home+Lions+where+belongs/10806304/story.html

If it was the right thing or the B.C. Lions to honour Geroy Simon at a game last season, what they are doing for him on Thursday is even more beyond the bounds of political correctness.

Simon is returning to the football home where he belongs.

The Province has learned the CFL team is about to announce that the leagues all-time receiving yardage leader will leave his post as an ambassador with the Saskatchewan Roughriders for an expanded role with the Lions.

The 39-year-old is not about to play or coach in the league but will be involved in an assortment of business, community and personnel-related functions with the Lions.

Simon had several scouting assignments last year with the Riders, and it is expected he will be asked to do the same with the team where he had his 12 most productive seasons. B.C. has one administrative vacancy since the club did not renew the contract of Canadian draft co-ordinator Kelly Bates after last season,

The Lions took substantial heat when they couldnt agree on a playing role for Simon in 2013 and traded him for draft picks to Saskatchewan, where he was in spot duty on the field up until he helped the Riders win the Grey Cup in Regina and became a favoured son in the football-mad province.

However, Simon never cut all ties to the Lower Mainland, where he maintains a home and is currently working in a quarterbacks and receivers camp with former teammate Paris Jackson.

He never dissed the Lions either, saying when he was honoured by the club and the City of Vancouver last year that there would be no question he would represent B.C. upon eventually entering the Canadian Football Hall of Fame.

That will be underscored when he is introduced in his new role with the Lions. Its precisely the kind of shot of adrenalin a franchise coming off a disappointing 9-9 season can use.

Edited by the last outlaw

Just got this email:

The BC Lions Football Club is pleased to announce that Geroy Simon has accepted a position with the organization in a dual football and business operations support role.

The CFL’s all-time leading receiver who spent 12 amazing seasons in orange returns to the Leos where he won two Grey Cup championships in 2006 and 2011 and set all-time franchise marks for receptions, yards and touchdowns.

“Geroy’s place is with the Lions and it’s an honour to have him return to our organization,” said President and CEO Dennis Skulsky. “I know he will undoubtedly be a valued contributor to our football operations department as a player personnel evaluator, scout and player mentor, as well as a tremendous asset on the business side and in alumni relations.”

Simon wrapped-up his playing days as a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders following the 2013 CFL season where he also notched a third career Grey Cup title. He spent last year in the ‘Riders front office and will carry that experience into an expanded role with the Lions.

“It’s great to be home,” said Simon. “While my career took me away from BC and the Lions for a couple years, my heart never left and I couldn’t be happier to be back with the club. I’m going to do everything I can to help Wally and Jeff build a winner on the field while also working with Dennis and the business side of the organization to continue to grow the Lions brand.”

Thank you for your support as a BC Lions fan!

Serving you with PRIDE,

Your BC Lions Fan Customer Services Team

• Upvote 1

Here is the Lions 2015 home schedule

i40rv5.jpg

Not really a fan of it. Thursday night games are going to suck. Also a little pissed to hear that we might not even host the preseason game. They better be giving season tickets holders an account credit for the game.

Edited by Grapefruits
  • Upvote 1

Another exciting signing today, QB Greg McGhee out of Howard University. MEAC co-player of the year. The guy skipped the NFL combine for a chance to play here. I can see why though, he has a chance to be a starter here rather then get drafted later inthe NFL draft and hold a clipboard and possibly never get a chance.

Having a new head coach with many ties to American college programs looks like it's already paying dividends.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/b-c-lions-release-eric-taylor-stefan-logan/

B.C. Lions release Eric Taylor, Stefan Logan

taylor_eric-640x360.jpg

Eric Taylor had 107 defensive tackles and 13 sacks over four seasons with B.C. (Aaron Lynett/CP)
default-logo-115x115.png
CANADIAN PRESS
MARCH 2, 2015, 5:40 PM

VANCOUVER — The B.C. Lions released running back Stefan Logan and defensive lineman Eric Taylor on Monday.

"We’re grateful for the contributions of both Eric and Stefan and we wish them the best in their future plans," Lions general manager Wally Buono said in a release.

Logan, who spent three seasons with the Lions, had 116 carries last season for 625 yards and one touchdown. He also had 25 receptions for 245 yards.

Taylor, meanwhile, had 107 defensive tackles and 13 sacks over four seasons with B.C. The Lions also announced that defensive linemen Marcus Dixon and Zach Minter have signed with the team.

Running back Bradley Handle and defensive end Chris Olson, both former practice roster players, were released.

Since no one else has brought it up.

I read about these cuts as they happened, and it still confuses me to a degree. They were both useful players.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/b-c-lions-release-eric-taylor-stefan-logan/

Since no one else has brought it up.

I read about these cuts as they happened, and it still confuses me to a degree. They were both useful players.

I agree about Taylor,,,but with Tim Brown as a returner (hard to keep the top special team player in the league off the roster) and Keola Antolin probably drawing in as running back..Logan became redundant.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, I haven't really followed the Lions much but I do want to start cheering for them this season onwards, could you guys give me a rundown on how the lions are looking this year and going forward?

I'm not a complete noob, I'm fairly familiar with some of the players, I'd just like to know a bit about the team

Hey everyone, I haven't really followed the Lions much but I do want to start cheering for them this season onwards, could you guys give me a rundown on how the lions are looking this year and going forward?

I'm not a complete noob, I'm fairly familiar with some of the players, I'd just like to know a bit about the team

All I can say is we better hope that Travis Lulays shoulder is 100% or we are in trouble..we could end up with Aaron Rodgers little brother at the helm with no pro experience..if Lulay is right..we could have a good year..Im just not sold on that yet.

All I can say is we better hope that Travis Lulays shoulder is 100% or we are in trouble..we could end up with Aaron Rodgers little brother at the helm with no pro experience..if Lulay is right..we could have a good year..Im just not sold on that yet.

I think our O line needs to step up and make sure he's being protected and not left so exposed as in the recent past. That's part of their responsibility in battling in the trenches...give him some time/space. They've improved, but still need work.

I think our O line needs to step up and make sure he's being protected and not left so exposed as in the recent past. That's part of their responsibility in battling in the trenches...give him some time/space. They've improved, but still need work.

I think you are right..our QBs have spent a lot of time over the last 2-3 years on their butts or running all over the field..after Archibald retired we really felt it last year..upgrade is needed for sure.

Got an invite to go to the BC Lions practice facility in Surrey tomorrow afternoon to hear Jeff Tedford and the team speak about the upcoming season. There will also be a Q&A session. I really want to ask something, but I'm not sure what I want to ask. So many questions floating through my head.

What would any of you ask if you were able to ask the coach a question?

*K, I really have no clue what to ask and I'm just digging for ideas, LOL!

Got an invite to go to the BC Lions practice facility in Surrey tomorrow afternoon to hear Jeff Tedford and the team speak about the upcoming season. There will also be a Q&A session. I really want to ask something, but I'm not sure what I want to ask. So many questions floating through my head.

What would any of you ask if you were able to ask the coach a question?

*K, I really have no clue what to ask and I'm just digging for ideas, LOL!

are they bringing in some quarterbacking experience..no one feels secure with Lulays shoulder..if not we could end up with a rookie at the helm..

how will they alleviate the international ratio so we can get the best players playing instead of not dressed..eg: Tim Brown not dressing.

Closing the top tier, what brought this about,,taking a page from the Whitecaps?