The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

It was said during post-game Grey Cup show on TSN that Hufnagel will be making announcement in the next few days and he'll be remaining on the sidelines. Not sure what this means for Dickenson and if he's staying with Calgary, or if he has any interest in becoming Lions head coach.

4 veterans won't be back with Lions next season: Dante Marsh

Fuck you Lions. It's been obvious since the incident occurred he was gone, but the way the team handles some of its most loyal of veterans is such a joke.

I hope Phillips doesn't look at someone the wrong way next pre-season.

4 veterans won't be back with Lions next season: Khalif Mitchell, Dante Marsh, Kevin Glenn, Ricky Schmitt. This is expected to be confirmed at afternoon news conference tomorrow.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ullrich+Lions+rebuild+without+some+vets/10431389/story.html

Not surprised, and I'm not really sad to see any of them go. This will be Wally's last chance to put a contender on the field. It will be interesting to see what he has up his sleeve.

4 veterans won't be back with Lions next season: Khalif Mitchell, Dante Marsh, Kevin Glenn, Ricky Schmitt. This is expected to be confirmed at afternoon news conference tomorrow.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ullrich+Lions+rebuild+without+some+vets/10431389/story.html

Damn, have become pretty good friends with Ricky, lives a few houses down from me.

Wally has spoken to Garcia and LaPolice. He's seeking permission to speak with Dickenson, and also has interest in Danny Barrett and Orlondo Steinhauer.

http://www.tsn.ca/lions-open-head-coaching-search-with-high-profile-names-1.149940

Hufanagel has announced he'll be back next season before handing job and things over to Dickenson, so looking like he's staying put.

http://www.tsn.ca/hufnagel-to-return-as-stampeders-head-coach-for-2015-1.150917

George Cortez is available as Riders didn't renew his contract. Lions should at least interview him. Wally knows him very well having worked with him in Calgary. Cortez would be upgrade as OC over Jones.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports/football/roughriders-football/Cortez+contract+renewed+Riders/10440466/story.html

Lapolice HC and Cortez O Coordinator and Garcia QB coach?

The plan would be to groom Garcia into an OC and play caller learning from Cortez or LaPolice who have previous experience before he eventually becomes a HC down the line.

Also if Trestman gets fired by the Chicago Bears I think he is the runaway clear cut favorite to be the new head coach and bring a fresh perspective.

For the comment by grapefruits saying Wally is running out of time... Wally has a job for life as far as Braley is concerned and has said so in the past.

Either way I would bring in Garcia as a priority hire because of his work with Bo Levi Mitchell and Jonathan Crompton at the very least as a QB coach and let him learn from Cortez how to be an OC if he can't call plays yet.

Khari Jones was a qb coach with Saskatchewan and his inexperience as a first year OC showed in not being able to adjust the offence and play calling when the offence struggled and they lost Harris for the year.

Edited by Chip Kelly

Either way I would bring in Garcia as a priority hire because of his work with Bo Levi Mitchell and Jonathan Crompton at the very least as a QB coach and let him learn from Cortez how to be an OC if he can't call plays yet.

Khari Jones was a qb coach with Saskatchewan and his inexperience as a first year OC showed in not being able to adjust the offence and play calling when the offence struggled and they lost Harris for the year.

Good post. I'd argue that the playcalling was never even altered to try to compensate for having Glenn as the QB instead of Lulay. Glenn's not a CFL quality QB but the lack of adjustment on Jones' part really compounded the issue by trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. A good OC can switch things up at halftime by exploiting defensive weaknesses, and that never seemed to happen last season.

• Upvote 1

Good post. I'd argue that the playcalling was never even altered to try to compensate for having Glenn as the QB instead of Lulay. Glenn's not a CFL quality QB but the lack of adjustment on Jones' part really compounded the issue by trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. A good OC can switch things up at halftime by exploiting defensive weaknesses, and that never seemed to happen last season.

I think though to be fair, a lot has to gone on the O-line. The last 2 seasons has been a mess.

They were supposed to have a 1-2 punch with Harris and Logan in the backfield and they could never fix their O-line to run block and pass protect even using 2 American players on it.

Bottom line is the O-line needs to be like it was in 2011 when it allowed the fewest sacks in the league and Harris had his best yards per carry average that year also if they want to be a Grey Cup contender next year.

Also they need to find some actual Candian talent that can start and make a real impact not just some fill in roster guys.

Lions reportedly interested in hiring Jeff Tedford as new head coach

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/12/12/bc-lions-reportedly-interested-in-hiring-jeff-tedford-as-new-head-coach

The man who coached Green Bay Packers star quarterback Aaron Rodgers in college appears to be close to taking over the B.C. Lions’ coaching reins.

Sportsnet’s Arash Madani reported late Thursday night that Lions are strongly considering hiring Jeff Tedford as their new head coach.

Tedford was the head coach of the NCAA’s California Golden Bears, where Rodgers played his college ball, for 11 years before he was fired in 2012.

Tedford was hired early this year as Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive co-ordinator, but left the job to undergo heart treatment.

Tedford, 53, was a member of Lions GM Wally Buono’s coaching staff from 1989-91 when the latter was head coach of the Calgary Stampders.

The Lions have been searching for a head coach since firing Toronto native Mike Benevides last month after a blowout loss against the Montreal Alouettes in the East semifinal.

As a player, Tedford was a quarterback for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Stampeders, Saskatchewan Roughriders and Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Looks like it's going to happen.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/football/bc-lions/Ullrich+Buono+poised+hire+Jeff+Tedford+Lions/10526234/story.html

I won't pretend to know whether this is a wise move or not, but for an organization that needs to give it's fans something to grab on to, bringing in a 53 year old coach whom you once coached with but who's been out of the CFL game for close to 25 years feels like the type of move that could either be great or could bomb badly.

Then again, I guess Marc Trestman didn't exactly have a glowing CFL resume when he was hired.

We shall see I guess.

Hiring of Jeff Tedford might just get me to follow the Lions on a regular, not in depth basis.

He was Aaron Rodgers' coach in college, and now Rodgers' little brother is on the BC Lions. That's just coincidence though.

I'm certain the hiring would convert more NFL fans who don't care much for the CFL to pay a little more attention.

Tedford has worked with and groomed a lot of talent at the college level that have gone on to become good NFL players.

For the Lions though, this will work out if he can translate that success with 19-22 year olds to older players in the CFL.

According to J.Paul McConnel, the Lions signed Benevides to an extension last year but, because they dumped him now, they don't have to pay him a dime because of a clause in his contract.

Ouch

Great job Wally!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello XXXX

It gives me great pleasure and pride to announce Jeff Tedford as our new head coach of the BC Lions. It is an exciting day for our organization as we hand the coaching reins to an incredibly accomplished football coach, terrific person and a bright, innovative mind.

I had the tremendous opportunity to work with Coach Tedford in Calgary from 1989-91 after he played six seasons at quarterback in the CFL. It was in that short time that he made a lasting impression as an offensive coach. He was crucial in inventing the six-receiver set offenses that became synonymous with the fast-paced, wide-open passing game that the CFL had become known for, and the NFL and NCAA have adopted since. And it is that type of creativity and aggressiveness that I look forward to seeing as the style of play for our Lions under his tutelage.

He went on to build programs in the NCAA, most-notably as head coach at the University of California-Berkley for 11 seasons, compiling the most victories in school history. Through his college and NFL coaching, he has worked with and made stars of some of the biggest players that have played the game, including Aaron Rodgers and Marshawn Lynch. A very sought-after and talented coach, I’m pleased to have him join us as we build our team towards winning the 2015 Grey Cup and continued success for many years to follow.

For me, it was important to find a leader that has competed, and won against the highest-level of coaches in the game of football. Jeff has done that. It was also important to have somebody who knows the Canadian game very well. He has played in our league, coached in our league, excelled in our league and respects our league. Having Jeff Tedford coach us not only elevates the BC Lions, but I firmly believe it raises the bar for the entire CFL.

With that, I look forward to formally introducing Coach Tedford at a press conference this afternoon at 4pm. And I would like to invite you, our passionate fans, to watch the conference as we live stream it on BCLions.com.

You can view the official press release here.

I want to thank you for your tremendous loyalty to our organization and your support. I wish you and your family all the best during this holiday season and I look forward to having you join Coach Tedford and all of us in 2015 for what will be an exciting year of football for our BC Lions.

Merry Christmas!

Wally Buono

GM & Vice-President of Football Ops

BC Lions Football Club

• Upvote 1

Wally said something interesting at the end of this article in the Sun today. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but this sounds like the succession plan for when Wally steps down with Jeff becoming coach AND GM. I like this model and you just have to look to the Grey Cup finalists this year to see that.

“The philosophy is that we don’t talk about the terms,” Buono said. “That’s not something I’m concerned about. The thing that I am excited about is that this is a long-term commitment in the sense that we believe Jeff has the abilities to be a head coach and, hopefully, in the future be more than just that. So contracts are what they are. That’s not an issue for me and I don’t believe it’s an issue for Jeff.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/football/lions/Lions+trumpet+Jeff+Tedford+time/10668325/story.html

This a great hire for not just the Lions but the entire CFL. This guy is a bigger deal than Marc Trestman when he coached Montreal.

CFL head coaches don't get paid very well compared to college coaches it is part of the reason Buono was coach and gm for so long.

Even if he only stays for 2 years that is still a great hire. They can bring Lapolice as a qb coach and Cortez as the OC and let them know they will have the chance to take over for him if/when he gets an NFL oppurtuniy.

Word on Trestman is even if he gets fired by the Bears he will be looking for a QB coach or OC job in the NFL or college rather than go back to the CFL where the pay is substantially less.

My guess is Tedford will be the highest paid coach in the CFL at $500,000 a year.

If he can make Lulay a better qb and he stays healthy great. But it would be much better if he could find and groom a new young qb who is under 28 to be the franchise qb for the next 5 years.

Would be cool if Jordan Rodgers emerged with the connection he has having coached his brother in college.

Edited by Chip Kelly