The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

This team is just a mess. Not a good product on and off the field. They have been consistently trending downhill the last few years.

The organization needs a complete overhaul and rebuild. It starts from the top.

The league needs an overhaul. It's hard to pay good prices for second rate talent. Heck. I don't know if it's even second rate any more. There are plenty of really good players, who can't make the big dollars of the NFL, so they choose to take professional employment, instead of the less than minimum wage offered in the CFL. The CFL needs to raise their minimum salary, especially for non roster players, or their product will continue to decline, as they lose out on many very good players to teaching, etc.

• Upvote 1

In the end, the CFL is still the 2nd highest level of North American football in the world. That being said, the CFL still feels a bit bush league. Perhaps it's the marketing and presentation.

The Whitecaps aren't even a top-10 league, but the game experience and product seems more polished then BC Lions games.

Perhaps it's time for the CFL to create some "farm team" agreement with NFL for money. Canada isn't a big enough market in itself to support Canadian football to the point where every player can afford to spent the off-season dedicated to training, rather than looking for work to put food on the table. If every guy who is bench warmer and practice roster player can training like NFL players during the off-season.... you'll see the quality of the CFL skyrocket as the increase in competition will push the guys who are starters.

Being #2 to the NFL isn't bad either. Nippon Professional Baseball is lower than MLB, but players in Japan are treated as celebrities, with decent salary too (lowest guy was some rookie earning approximately $50k). Fans don't go, "Oh... why would I want to watch a bunch of MLB rejects and players that can't even crack a bottom feeding team in the US?" (not too different from those "it's not the NFL" mantra spoken by some). Quality entertainment can be found at any level, and when you package it with a vibrant environment, rabid fans, and at an affordable price.... you'll have a high quality product overall.

The league needs an overhaul. It's hard to pay good prices for second rate talent. Heck. I don't know if it's even second rate any more. There are plenty of really good players, who can't make the big dollars of the NFL, so they choose to take professional employment, instead of the less than minimum wage offered in the CFL. The CFL needs to raise their minimum salary, especially for non roster players, or their product will continue to decline, as they lose out on many very good players to teaching, etc.

The CFL has rules against too many import players. The idea is that they offer spots to Canadian born players and not just be the B-League for the NFL rejects.

Each team may dress a 44-man active roster consisting of:

• 3 QBs (no designation)
  • Maximum of 20 international players (4 of which must be identifed as designated internationals)
  • Minimum of 21 national players

The four designated international players are players who can play on special teams OR replace an international starter (they cannot start).

Of the 24 starters on a team, a minimum of seven starters will be nationals players. When applied to a starting roster of a team it breaks down as follows (when using the minimum number of national players):

• 1 QB
  • 16 international players
  • 7 starting national players

The following Players shall be classified as National Players (formerly non-import):

A: Canadian citizens at the time of signing of the Player’s first contract;

B: A Player classified as a non-import prior to May 31st, 2014; OR

C: A Player who was physically resident in Canada for an aggregate period of five (5) years prior to attaining the age of eighteen (18) years.

A Player is classified as an International Player (formerly import) if the Player is one other than one referred to in the definition of a National Player (formerly non-import).

Edited by RonMexico

In the end, the CFL is still the 2nd highest level of North American football in the world. That being said, the CFL still feels a bit bush league. Perhaps it's the marketing and presentation.

The Whitecaps aren't even a top-10 league, but the game experience and product seems more polished then BC Lions games.

Perhaps it's time for the CFL to create some "farm team" agreement with NFL for money. Canada isn't a big enough market in itself to support Canadian football to the point where every player can afford to spent the off-season dedicated to training, rather than looking for work to put food on the table. If every guy who is bench warmer and practice roster player can training like NFL players during the off-season.... you'll see the quality of the CFL skyrocket as the increase in competition will push the guys who are starters.

Being #2 to the NFL isn't bad either. Nippon Professional Baseball is lower than MLB, but players in Japan are treated as celebrities, with decent salary too (lowest guy was some rookie earning approximately $50k). Fans don't go, "Oh... why would I want to watch a bunch of MLB rejects and players that can't even crack a bottom feeding team in the US?" (not too different from those "it's not the NFL" mantra spoken by some). Quality entertainment can be found at any level, and when you package it with a vibrant environment, rabid fans, and at an affordable price.... you'll have a high quality product overall.

I personally like the CFL game. The best part is the last 3 minutes when the lead can change hands unlike the NFL that once the two minute warning hits, 1 first down gained by the team ahead on the scroeboard essentially renders the game over. Which is incredibly lame and SLOW.

This team has no talent bottom line. Terrible recruiting job use of personnel.

Buono is out of touch him and Shivers can't recruit good Americans now and they always have terrible Canadian talent.

Tedford needs to use his contacts down south and get some NFL cuts up here pronto.

I want 6 new guys minimum who are impact players.

Devante Davis, Tim Cornett, these guys who can make a difference.

Devante Davis went to UNLV Shivers would have seen him play when scouting Murray Lawrence.

He is a big wr who attacks the ball unlike Arceneaux.

Cornett another UNLV alum can return kickoffs and spark the run game.

Edited by Chip Kelly
  • Upvote 1

Some better field positon for the offence would help. The return game on kickoffs and punts has been lacking.

Antolin has looked decent on the punt return and Shaq has the speed to take one back to the house on kickoffs but neither guy has been able to consistently get good returns for kickoffs over 25 plus yards and for punts more than 15 yards.

Meanwhile the guys they let go. Tim Brown in Calgary has been pretty average so far.

However letting Stefan Logan go looks kinda bad right now. Despite his age he is still very quick and elusive though he doesn't have much top end speed.

He has been decent on kickoffs and dangerous returning punts where he already has a touchdown.

Edmonton had the bigger plays running the ball and on returns.

The Lions d was good after half time but they still look vulnerable to the the big run as evidenced by Chad Simpson taking a simple dump off all the way to the house on one play.

They let Logan and Brown go. The best returners in the CFL behind Banks.

What has Antolin or mini Shaq done the last 3 weeks?

Terrible field position for offence to start. Receivers can't get open lulay can't hit them.

Dline can't rush the qb consistently exposes secondary every single game.

Last half in Edmonton game was a fluke.

Logan is dangerous and Als can run the ball deceptively. SJ green will be hard to contain.

Als D hits hard too also Cato equals close win for Lions at home and getting smashd again in Montreal on Labour day weekend.[seem]

Minus the close Lions win. It seems Lions problems are in all phases and not much has changed last 3 games.

Harris not breaking off big runs, no big pass plays or returns.

Need some type of sparks with big plays.

Like Chip said, Stef Logan made the Leos' decision to let him walk look bad last night, but honestly the run defense is so bad right now that I think any former running back is going to shred them.

It's really inexplicable how bad this defense looks. Remember how great Bazzie looked when he started out with the Lions? They were a bit better at pressuring the QB last night, but overall, the D line has not been much of a factor this season and the DBs are unable to make up the difference.

Meanwhile, the Als' strategy was to bring the house on 2 out of every three plays, yet Travis continually went ot the deep drop and tried to throw into the defensive backfield.

There better be some talent available when the NFL cuts happen, because this team sorely needs it.

Like Chip said, Stef Logan made the Leos' decision to let him walk look bad last night, but honestly the run defense is so bad right now that I think any former running back is going to shred them.

It's really inexplicable how bad this defense looks. Remember how great Bazzie looked when he started out with the Lions? They were a bit better at pressuring the QB last night, but overall, the D line has not been much of a factor this season and the DBs are unable to make up the difference.

Meanwhile, the Als' strategy was to bring the house on 2 out of every three plays, yet Travis continually went ot the deep drop and tried to throw into the defensive backfield.

There better be some talent available when the NFL cuts happen, because this team sorely needs it.

I was at the game last night. The score flattered the Lions. The run defence seemed like they wouldn't even be able to stop me if I was playing.

The offensive line isn't any better. Lulay looks under pressure every down. WRs aren't getting open. The only bright spot is Harris but he can't carry the team. The offence just looks so badly out of sync that I don't think any help from the NFL will make a difference.

I am all for starting Beck just to see something different.

And I do think that the attendance last night was a lie. The dome was empty. They may have sold the seats, but less and less people are attending. The only good side effect, walk up beer service.

I was at the game last night. The score flattered the Lions. The run defence seemed like they wouldn't even be able to stop me if I was playing.

The offensive line isn't any better. Lulay looks under pressure every down. WRs aren't getting open. The only bright spot is Harris but he can't carry the team. The offence just looks so badly out of sync that I don't think any help from the NFL will make a difference.

I am all for starting Beck just to see something different.

And I do think that the attendance last night was a lie. The dome was empty. They may have sold the seats, but less and less people are attending. The only good side effect, walk up beer service.

It's not surprising that Lulay was under pressure all night. The Als were blitzing on every other down.

I'm not sure what Cortez was thinking there. If the Leos tried any quick slants, I didn't notice. Also, have they forgotten how successful the QB option was against Saskatchewan? Time and again we saw Lulay in the deep drop, trying to hit a guy downfield, either with two or three guys in his face, or after scrambling to the outside and throwing on the run.

The Leos have one of the best running QB's in the league, but they aren't using it to their advantage.

I've been a season ticket holder for 4 seasons roughly. That was one of the most boring games I've ever had to sit through. Even the wait staff in the lounge were brutal.

Lulay is just bad. Had an open receiver many times and decided to throw to the side of the field for a few yards. I swear he has his mind made up to where he is going to throw the ball before the snap.

Can't leave the D on the field for as long as they were and expect them to hold the other team. I was talking to my Loomis driver at work who has a good friend that lives around a bunch of the players. Many are not a fan of Tedford, especially the vets. Apparently he is set on full contact practices at all times and players are getting banged up and worn down.

Might work with College kids looking to make a name for themselves to make it to the big leagues, but it's not working here. Tedford needs to change his philosophy or hit the road.