The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Evan McEneny | D

Joel Heyman

Guest Dasein

Overage season for McEneny or turn pro?

He did lose a year of development - not sure what the situation in Utica is. Will he get ice time or is there a log jam?

It's a tough call with him. I would personally prefer if he played on the top pairing in kingston as an overager rather than being lost in the shuffle in the AHL or being sent to kalamazoo. the ECHL has helped a couple of our forwards; it just wouldn't be my preference for McEneney. I think there is still value in playing junior for him; especially considering he lost a full year due to injury. If there is room for him in Utica, that's definitely the #1 situation for him. I'm just not sure there will be minutes for him with the Comets.

I know it's just a sample of one game but McEneny was very impressive in the game he played in Utica at the end of last year. Moved the puck very well, kept everything to the outside and looked confidant and comfortable. To be honest I would rather see him get a chance over Peter Andersson who may be the weak link on defense now that Sauve is gone.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Cut.

Kitchener or Utica?

Based on the little I saw of the YS tourney, I'd say he could use another year of junior...so a year as an over-ager would be a good option.

I see that McEneny is not on a sliding scale anymore...does that mean his contract is counted against the 50 max and that even though he's back in junior that one year gets burned off his elc? Anyone have an answer?

Edited by Sneezy

Cut.

Kitchener or Utica?

Based on the little I saw of the YS tourney, I'd say he could use another year of junior...so a year as an over-ager would be a good option.

I see that McEneny is not on a sliding scale anymore...does that mean his contract is counted against the 50 max and that even though he's back in junior that one year gets burned off his elc? Anyone have an answer?

Pretty sure he will go to Utica...already 20 and played 5 seasons although 2 were shortened by injuries in the OHL with Kitchener/Kingston

Tommernes, Andersson, Corrado, Biega, Blain, LaFranchise and Negrin, Huskins as Utica signings? I don't think they're is room for him and also Cederholm is a possibility to play in the AHL aswell.

I think McEneny can play a #5-6 spot in Utica and beat out LaFranchise/Negrins/Huskins but it'll come down to where Cederholm goes.

Tommernes, Andersson, Corrado, Biega, Blain, LaFranchise and Negrin, Huskins as Utica signings? I don't think they're is room for him and also Cederholm is a possibility to play in the AHL aswell.

I think McEneny can play a #5-6 spot in Utica and beat out LaFranchise/Negrins/Huskins but it'll come down to where Cederholm goes.

I think Cederholm should go back for another year to play a major role in Portland.

Pretty sure he will go to Utica...already 20 and played 5 seasons although 2 were shortened by injuries in the OHL with Kitchener/Kingston

Kid's got a late b-day (turned 20 in late May) and he's been in the O for four seasons. Could easily be sent back to the O as an over-ager, though I think you're right about where he'll be assigned. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets assigned by the Comet to the 'zoo.

Comets D:

Huskins -- Biega

Andersonn -- Corrado

Negrin -- Sanguinetti

Tommernes -- Lafranchise

'zoo D:

McEneny -- Blain

Humphries

EDIT: Looks like McEneny is heading back to juniors...http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/09/22/camp-cuts-mceneny-pettit-stewart-sent-back-to-junior/

Edited by Sneezy

I think Cederholm should go back for another year to play a major role in Portland.

Absolutely, I think Cederholm goes back to junior rather than try for limited pro spots, and McEneny goes pro to get a push for better competition since he's more capable offensively.

The Canucks opted to send him back to junior I see.

It's not the end of the world, as he did miss a lot of development earlier on, and he'll be a major contributor to a championship-calibre Kingston Frontenacs (assuming Sam Bennett returns).

I was about to ask where you saw that then I actually read the Canucks release:

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=731303

Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the Canucks have reduced their pre-season roster by three players.

The following players have been assigned to their junior clubs:

Kyle Pettit Centre Erie OHL

Mackenze Stewart Defence Prince Albert WHL

Evan McEneny Defence Kingston OHL

I think this is best case scenario for him. He'll getlots of minutes with kingston. missed a full year of junior (except for the first 2 games) I think he's still got things to learn from juniors. It'll work out ok. his size and skill set are still desirable. let's see where he ends up after this season. hopefully will be coming off a dominant year!

Kid's got a late b-day (turned 20 in late May) and he's been in the O for four seasons. Could easily be sent back to the O as an over-ager, though I think you're right about where he'll be assigned. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets assigned by the Comet to the 'zoo.

Comets D:

Huskins -- Biega

Andersonn -- Corrado

Negrin -- Sanguinetti

Tommernes -- Lafranchise

'zoo D:

McEneny -- Blain

Humphries

EDIT: Looks like McEneny is heading back to juniors...http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2014/09/22/camp-cuts-mceneny-pettit-stewart-sent-back-to-junior/

Oh thanks for clarifying!

I'm fine with that as well, but he didn't look out of place in the AHL as far as I could tell last year.

1 game though.. That's as small a sample size as you could possibly get :lol:

I think this is probably based on the fact that he has a huge opportunity in Kingston. If he was on a sh!tty team in junior, maybe they would have tried him out in Utica/Kalamazoo or ask if his junior team would trade him to a contender.