The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 6.5/10

Like all my reviews, anything over a 5 is worth watching. If you're a Wes Anderson fan, then you can't skip watching it.

However, if you are a Wes Anderson fan, then you will also notice that this is not his best work. As Glassjaw said, the first 30 minutes are good, a good last 30 minutes, but a middle that was quite dull. The movie just didn't flow as well as his other films.

I wouldn't watch it again, unlike Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Fantastic Mr. Fox. Though I enjoyed it for the most part, I would probably put it in my 2 least favourite of his films, along with Moonrise Kingdom.

CBGB 8/10

Stars Alan Rickman, and was a very interesting movie. Didn't know anything about it going in, but was just flipping channels, and it looked so good I found out when it was on next and DVR'd it.

Supposed to be a fairly factual account of the origins of the CBGB club and the owner, Hilly Kristal. Lots of good 70's and 80's punk/alternative, if you're into that at all.

The Grand Budapest Hotel - 6.5/10

Like all my reviews, anything over a 5 is worth watching. If you're a Wes Anderson fan, then you can't skip watching it.

However, if you are a Wes Anderson fan, then you will also notice that this is not his best work. As Glassjaw said, the first 30 minutes are good, a good last 30 minutes, but a middle that was quite dull. The movie just didn't flow as well as his other films.

I wouldn't watch it again, unlike Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Fantastic Mr. Fox. Though I enjoyed it for the most part, I would probably put it in my 2 least favourite of his films, along with Moonrise Kingdom.

see, i was really hoping that i was just tired. for a 90 minute movie, it certainly felt a lot longer. i really, really loved what i did enjoy about it, but i think i need to watch it when i'm in a WA mood--then maybe i will be able to appreciate the whole thing more. but again, did love what i liked

Speaking of Wes Anderson, I watched Bottle Rocket and The Darjeeling Limited within the last few months. Was the second time I'd seen both.

I saw Bottle Rocket years ago, and it didn't do much for me at the time. But I'm guessing it was just high expectations, as I sought it out after seeing Rushmore and Royal Tenenbaums. The second time through however, I enjoyed it a lot. Still not in the same realm as the aforementioned two (and the Fantastic FMF), but still a great little flick. 7.5/10

As for the Darjeeling Limited, it was basically the opposite. I loved it the first time, but it didn't hold up on the second viewing. It started well, and built to the second funeral (which was outstanding), but it really lagged after that (which is weird for a 91 minute movie). And the ending fell flat. Still good, but not as good as I had remembered. 7/10

I have yet to watch The Life Aquatic a 2nd time, but have the DVD ready for when I'm in the mood.

Blue Valentine 7/10

What an awful movie to watch on a date. It was one of the least entertaining yet exquisitely crafted movies I've seen thus far. Acting was raw and powerful; editing and pacing led to a beautiful simultaneous crescendo of two stories heading in opposite ways in the last 30 minutes.

It was heavy. I'm not sure what I got out of it. The characters were unlikable so the tragedy stems from not what befalls of them but how similar their falling out of love is to at least a handful of people you've known.

Seeing the NC-17 rating I expected a good deal more of sex but I'm at a loss now. How can Wolf of Wall Street or 90% of the slasher movies get by with an R when a movie like this one with no full frontal or really much of anything get NC-17? Is implied cunnilingus that blasphemous? It wasn't even gratuitous or titillating in the least.

MPAA WOAT

Blue Valentine 7/10

What an awful movie to watch on a date. It was one of the least entertaining yet exquisitely crafted movies I've seen thus far. Acting was raw and powerful; editing and pacing led to a beautiful simultaneous crescendo of two stories heading in opposite ways in the last 30 minutes.

It was heavy. I'm not sure what I got out of it. The characters were unlikable so the tragedy stems from not what befalls of them but how similar their falling out of love is to at least a handful of people you've known.

Seeing the NC-17 rating I expected a good deal more of sex but I'm at a loss now. How can Wolf of Wall Street or 90% of the slasher movies get by with an R when a movie like this one with no full frontal or really much of anything get NC-17? Is implied cunnilingus that blasphemous? It wasn't even gratuitous or titillating in the least.

Pretty much the same thoughts as me, right down to the score. It was well made for sure, but I thought it would have been a lot more powerful if the main characters were likeable.

Planning on checking out 22 jump street tomorrow provided the weather is crap. Heard it was a comedic masterpiece. Any thoughts

Saw it, TBH the whole getting fucked up and partying humour in these type of movies is getting old for me. If you aren't sick of watching every Project X/ Hangover/ Seth Rogen movie out there you're in for a treat. Without my depressing bias against it I'd give it a solid 7/10.

Saw it, TBH the whole getting fracked up and partying humour in these type of movies is getting old for me. If you aren't sick of watching every Project X/ Hangover/ Seth Rogen movie out there you're in for a treat. Without my depressing bias against it I'd give it a solid 7/10.

I'm definitely in to those kinds of movies. thanks!

The Lego Movie (2014):

I'm going to be honest. When I first heard this was in production, I wasn't excited at all. It just seemed like a big, shameless advertisement. But in February, it hit theaters. I saw all the raving reviews and I was shocked. Since I'm a cheap bastard, I waited for YIFY to come out with a torrent. Man, was it worth it the wait.

The animation was breathtaking. The movement of each character and each brick felt so authentic, almost as if it was stop motion. The humor and comedic timing in this film really surprised me. The writing was sharp and clever. Phil Lord and Chris Miller have really done a great job with each of their films and could really be the best off-screen comedic duo in film today. The voice acting was great, it’s fast paced, and it oozed imagination. It really took me back to my childhood and makes me really regret giving away all my Lego.

Overall, it is a charming and visually stunning animation, filled with great laughs.

A

Edited by Spoderman

The Lego Movie (2014):

I'm going to be honest. When I first heard this was in production, I wasn't excited at all. It just seemed like a big, shameless advertisement. But in February, it hit theaters. I saw all the raving reviews and I was shocked. Since I'm a cheap bastard, I waited for YIFY to come out with a torrent. Man, was it worth it the wait. The animation was breathtaking. The movement of each character and each brick felt so authentic, almost as if it was stop motion. The humor and comedic timing in this film really surprised me. The writing was sharp and clever. Phil Lord and Chris Miller have really done a great job with each of their films and could really be the best off-screen comedic duo in film today. The voice acting was great, it’s fast paced, and it oozed imagination. It really took me back to my childhood and makes me really regret giving away all my Lego. Overall, it is a charming and visually stunning animation, filled with great laughs.

A

I still don't buy it. Gotta check it out for myself I guess, but I did not get a single chuckle in the trailer

I still don't buy it. Gotta check it out for myself I guess, but I did not get a single chuckle in the trailer

Didn't watch any trailers. Well, I don't watch trailers at all. Spoilerphobe tbh lol

Edited by Spoderman

Planning on checking out 22 jump street tomorrow provided the weather is crap. Heard it was a comedic masterpiece. Any thoughts

watched it tonight with a bunch of friends .. I dont know who told you this was a masterpiece ... it was a masterpiece of crap !

I can't believe that anyone would think this movie did anything but suck away 2 hours of precious life .

I noticed that the 2 co stars were also given production credits . Im guessing it was the only way that they would accept making this horrible film . 2 / 10

watched it tonight with a bunch of friends .. I dont know who told you this was a masterpiece ... it was a masterpiece of crap !

I can't believe that anyone would think this movie did anything but suck away 2 hours of precious life .

I noticed that the 2 co stars were also given production credits . Im guessing it was the only way that they would accept making this horrible film . 2 / 10

Interesting observation, although I think I will go with the majority on this one (85% rotten tomatoes)

Enemy 2/10

Jake Gyllenhaal is a quiet, brooding actor, known for some strange roles in some strange movies and to put it lightly, this is one of those. Fine. But this movie isn't just strange. It's tripe.

While Donnie Darko is perhaps his strangest movie, (if not Bubble Boy), DD is vastly superior in every regard. From symbolism to foreshadowing to tone. In Enemy, the symbolism equates to 'wtf?' and the foreshadowing indicates 'warning! warning! bad movie ahead! get out while you still can!'. The tone, largely set with people not turning on light switches and (out-of-place) pathetic clarinet/oboe complimenting the soundtrack, is pretty damn dreary and makes you wonder if suicide is a better option than continuing to watch the film.

The setting is TO, and this movie makes TO look like I percieve it: Americanized, concrete ugly. Only a high Rob Ford could appreciate this movie to the fullest imho.

The biggest slap in the face was the huge western font screen credits complimented with a brutal 'you've just been duped' jarring musical track that urged you to stab the screen. This coming after the horrible ending which cut the movie short by 20-40 minutes of absolutely necessary wrap-up.

Forget it. Save yourselves from this movie. Maybe they like this crap in TO, but they also like Ed the Sock and Rob Ford.

Jesus Christ what an awful movie.

Edited by TOMapleLaughs

Enemy 2/10

Jake Gyllenhaal is a quiet, brooding actor, known for some strange roles in some strange movies and to put it lightly, this is one of those. Fine. But this movie isn't just strange. It's tripe.

While Donnie Darko is perhaps his strangest movie, (if not Bubble Boy), DD is vastly superior in every regard. From symbolism to foreshadowing to tone. In Enemy, the symbolism equates to 'wtf?' and the foreshadowing indicates 'warning! warning! bad movie ahead! get out while you still can!'. The tone, largely set with people not turning on light switches and (out-of-place) pathetic clarinet/oboe complimenting the soundtrack, is pretty damn dreary and makes you wonder if suicide is a better option than continuing to watch the film.

The setting is TO, and this movie makes TO look like I percieve it: Americanized, concrete ugly. Only a high Rob Ford could appreciate this movie to the fullest imho.

The biggest slap in the face was the huge western font screen credits complimented with a brutal 'you've just been duped' jarring musical track that urged you to stab the screen. This coming after the horrible ending which cut the movie short by 20-40 minutes of absolutely necessary wrap-up.

Forget it. Save yourselves from this movie. Maybe they like this crap in TO, but they also like Ed the Sock and Rob Ford.

Jesus Christ what an awful movie.

I hate to be that guy, but....maybe you didn't get it? There's a coherent story wrapped up in its symbolism. The epigraph lets you know that it's not meant to be taken literally: "Chaos is order yet undeciphered". [spoilers] Both of Gyllenhaal's characters are the same guy, one of the women is his wife, the other is his mistress. [/spoilers] It's been a while since I saw it, so I don't remember the specifics, but I'm sure you can find a good analysis online if you want one.

I wasn't a *huge* fan and it definitely isn't for everyone, but 2/10 is pretty harsh. I would give it a 7. Watch it if you like Mulholland Drive. It's for pretentious cinephiles.

I hate to be that guy, but....maybe you didn't get it? There's a coherent story wrapped up in its symbolism. The epigraph lets you know that it's not meant to be taken literally: "Chaos is order yet undeciphered". [spoilers] Both of Gyllenhaal's characters are the same guy, one of the women is his wife, the other is his mistress. [/spoilers] It's been a while since I saw it, so I don't remember the specifics, but I'm sure you can find a good analysis online if you want one.

I wasn't a *huge* fan and it definitely isn't for everyone, but 2/10 is pretty harsh. I would give it a 7. Watch it if you like Mulholland Drive. It's for pretentious cinephiles.

Oh, I got it alright. Even if you know what's what in The Sixth Sense, which I figured out in three minutes, the movie was still worth the watch. This wasn't. The concept of Enemy was so simple that I was waiting for something other than that to make the movie worth watching. That worthiness didn't arrive. So the rampant symbolism and lack of plotline or a proper ending was a just a slap in the face. I guess if the purpose of the movie was to annoy, there was that.

Anyway, maybe some novels should just remain novels. Like Cloud Atlas.