The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

50/50

Had a lucky guess on #34, I hadn't seen or heard of Heathers before. But process of elimination had me figure it was that.

I don't remember the scene from Better off dead, but it was a screencap of John Cusack so it was a gimme.

The rest I could have guessed without the multiple choice. They didn't exactly delve into any obscure movies, but then I guess the quiz wouldn't have been fun if they did.

14 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

50/50

Had a lucky guess on #34, I hadn't seen or heard of Heathers before. But process of elimination had me figure it was that.

I don't remember the scene from Better off dead, but it was a screencap of John Cusack so it was a gimme.

The rest I could have guessed without the multiple choice. They didn't exactly delve into any obscure movies, but then I guess the quiz wouldn't have been fun if they did.

I had similar strategies. There was about 10 movies I had never seen including Heathers. I just knew Slater was in it.

8 hours ago, g_bassi13 said:

I know every scene from that movie. Seen it at least 20 times. One of my all-time faves.

Edited by D-Money

All Is Lost - 6/10

I like Robert Redford and from everything I read and heard, it was a critical darling as well. However, just didn't suck me in like I was hoping it would. I respect what it was going for and it's always nice to see Redford, as he's an actor I think we'll all miss when his time is up.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

I have never seen "Better Off Dead". Probably won't, either.

You're missing out. 80's schlock at its finest.

"The K-12, dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you."

• Upvote 1

On 2016-11-06 at 7:45 PM, Monty said:

The Shallows - 7/10

I really enjoyed it. Blake Lively was surprisingly not terrible, either.

Now, there were some truly head scratching questions. Like, would a shark terrorize this one girl for a day and a half? Or, with a dead whale to chomp on near by, why would a shark have any interest in her? But it IS a shark movie, so I let all those logic questions slide. It was fun.

19 hours ago, Monty said:

All Is Lost - 6/10

Monty I'm so sorry about your brain damage. Pulling for you, sport.

• Upvote 2

Arrival  8.5/10

Rock solid intellectual sci-fi, I'll take it. Reminded me of The Abyss minus the over dramatics and needless action subplot. And it's got a good 'twist', but it's not really a sudden twist, more like a gradual realisation that some scenes aren't what they seemed. Already want to re-watch.

The fly-in scene when you first see the alien craft - part of it is in the trailer - but the full longshot was astounding - with the music it made me feel slightly sick, but in a good way, if that makes sense.

I'd be curious (but am too lazy) to go back through this thread and see my reviews of Villeneuve's movies over the past few years. I bet they're all 8.5s. He's stuck right there at very very good not quite tipping over into truly great. After this I think he's doing the Blade Runner reboot, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Edited by The Bookie

On 2016-11-17 at 6:34 AM, Svengali said:

Monty I'm so sorry about your brain damage. Pulling for you, sport.

:lol: 

Anything over "5/10" is worth watching, in my books. I also (most of the time) rate movies against similar films.

So, in "The Shallows" case, I really don't know many shark films that are as good as it is, aside from "Jaws". There was a lot of ridiculousness to it, but it wasn't "Deep Blue Sea" or "Jaws 3" either.

As for "All is Lost", it still gets a passing grade from me. However, when I rate it against other films that are either in the same vane of "no hope left" and acting against themselves, it is certainly not the best I've seen. And rated against other "on the water in the ocean" films, it is also not the best I've seen. But, it still is worth watching; in large part because Robert Redford is "the man".

5 hours ago, Monty said:

Anything over "5/10" is worth watching, in my books. I also (most of the time) rate movies against similar films.

So, in "The Shallows" case, I really don't know many shark films that are as good as it is, aside from "Jaws". There was a lot of ridiculousness to it, but it was "Deep Blue Sea" or "Jaws 3" either.

As for "All is Lost", it still gets a passing grade from me. However, when I rate it against other films that are either in the same vane of "no hope left" and acting against themselves, it is certainly not the best I've seen. And rated against other "on the water in the ocean" films, it is also not the best I've seen. But, it still is worth watching; in large part because Robert Redford is "the man".

You're not totally wrong about all is lost but still wrong Monty.

strong 7.5 in my view.

curious as to what movies you compared it to.

Edited by riffraff

27 minutes ago, riffraff said:

You're not totally wrong about all is lost but still wrong Monty.

strong 7.5 in my view.

curious as to what movies you compared it to.

There were really two comparisons, for me.

First would be any film that relied solely on one actor throughout the entire film to keep it going. On that, it wasn't the best I've seen. Just in recent films, I thought "Locke" and "Buried" (as much as I dislike Ryan Reynolds) were both superior films in both acting and story. Not saying that Ryan Reynolds and "Buried" is an amazing film, but I enjoyed it more than "All Is Lost" and it has stuck with me after seeing it about 5 years ago. Also, I will get to "Cast Away", as that is always what people reference.

As for lost on the sea or similar(ish) sea films, it was also not the worst, but also not the best (hence my 6/10 rating). I really think that "Life of Pi" is the gold standard for no hope, acting, and storytelling for being stranded out on the ocean. Obviously the visuals are second to none; and seeing it in theatre really was a sight to behold. One of the rare times I use the term "movie magic". Completely different film, but the story, acting, and visuals were captivating; at least, to me they were.

As for what everyone else always brings up when it comes to acting against yourself and/or being stranded, the first film people bring up is "Cast Away". I don't want to get on to long a rant, but that "film" is emotional pandering and lazy writing cranked to 11. Just the worst.

Again, I gave it a passing grade, and I'm glad I watched it. This is from a guy that enjoys "Spy Game", and only because Redford is in it. Otherwise it's the hardest of passes. What did bother me about it, though, was:

Spoiler

Not once, but TWICE a ship passed right beside him during the day and the evening. Each time he used either flares or a flare gun (at night) and neither ship, that absolteuly would be manned and captained by live people, didn't see either the flares (pretty unbelievable, but "ok") to not seeing the flare gun (100% not possible) was a huge disappointment and brought the film down for me. Then, for a guy who had as much fight and experience as he had, to "give up" after 8 days only to conveniently be saved as he resigned to drowning.

Both of those to me are hugely disappointing. And disappointing in that the film set up an incredibly believable story and situation.

Those two gripes, to me, did not fit into the narrative or the character of the film. As such, it dropped in points for me.

Again, it was enjoyable. Just not nearly without its flaws or "up to snuff" against what I would say are better films that are fair to compare it to (fair for me to compare it to).

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Monty said:

So, in "The Shallows" case, I really don't know many shark films that are as good as it is, aside from "Jaws". There was a lot of ridiculousness to it, but it wasn't "Deep Blue Sea" or "Jaws 3" either.

Yeah, I suppose I can see how one would rate the shark movie against similar films and rate it higher than All Is Lost and I am in no way googling concussion treatment centres in Winnipeg for you at this very moment. (hang in there, little fat buddy)

(serious version: I gave All Is Lost a 9 and consider it a favourite because I've spent years living on 24 to 28 foot sailboats as a kid, so seeing Redford do an amazingly realistic job was great stuff and also nostalgic for me ... and as far as ratings go, well I've rated Nacho Libre higher than Vertigo myself, so, no worries)

(I mean you're so incredibly wrong it's ridiculous, but no worries)