The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Ditto.

Watched Under the skin last night...wow :shock: 

It's so different from most modern movies I don't even know how to rate it or even if I should.

It's creepy. it's beautiful. It's stark yet the atmosphere is so thick at times it seems almost oppressive. It's completely original while at the same time reminding you of works of the 70's film making artists like Kubrick, Jodorosky etc. The score/sound effects are intense and constantly unnerving. 

I'm not entirely sure what I watched but I enjoyed the @#$% out of what it evoked and can't stop thinking of it. I'm intrigued to watch it again to see how many more details I can manage to absorb amongst the tidal waves of subtlety and commentary on our superficial tendencies.

If you even sometimes enjoy film as an art, you owe it to yourself to watch it. If you live and die by the latest comic book adaptation....maybe not.

Sounds great.  Thanks for the tip.  I've had my head buried in work and catching up on game of thrones.

12 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Sounds great.  Thanks for the tip.  I've had my head buried in work and catching up on game of thrones.

I've been re-watching Season 5 and stockpiling season 6 episodes to binge on. It's been SOOOO hard to stay out of the GOT thread! Can't wait :lol:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I've been re-watching Season 5 and stockpiling season 6 episodes to binge on. It's been SOOOO hard to stay out of the GOT thread! Can't wait :lol:

I've been extremely late to the party.

just started watching from the beginning a couple weeks ago.  I just happened to watch a couple from season six and realized how great the show is so I decided to get into it.  I am now a couple episodes from the end of season three.

it is very entertaining.  I am really enjoying it.  

Can't believe I'm starting to root for Jaime.

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I've been extremely late to the party.

just started watching from the beginning a couple weeks ago.  I just happened to watch a couple from season six and realized how great the show is so I decided to get into it.  I am now a couple episodes from the end of season three.

it is very entertaining.  I am really enjoying it.  

Can't believe I'm starting to root for Jaime.

Wife and I just binge watched seasons 1-5 last starting summer so you're not all that late :lol:

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Next up:

vinyl and banshee

Banshee is a solid man show with lots of violence and sex. You've got petty criminals, Amish gangsters, Russian mobsters, Badass native Indians, Nazis, and loads of explosions/shooting/blood. 

Still a decent watch for pass time but nothing in comparison to GOT. 

1 hour ago, LuckyLuciano said:

Banshee is a solid man show with lots of violence and sex. You've got petty criminals, Amish gangsters, Russian mobsters, Badass native Indians, Nazis, and loads of explosions/shooting/blood. 

Still a decent watch for pass time but nothing in comparison to GOT. 

Ye just caught a couple episodes....I would agree it does not look like it will come close in storylines.

watched a half dozen episodes of vinyl.  It's been really good Imo.  Plus I'm a music fan.

Somm: Into the Bottle

This is the sequel to Somm, and it is better in every way imaginable. This time around, the documentary, which has a far bigger budget to go all over the world, takes you on "10 small chapters" about wine and specifically in regards to the vineyards throughout the world. Very interesting.

• Upvote 1

A Year In Burgundy

After watching Somm: Into the Bottle, went straight into another wine documentary. This was far more in depth in regards to vineyards in Burgundy, interviewing winemakers in the region. Very interesting when they discuss the difference in soil, picking process, etc. Not as interesting ...Into the Bottle, but still a fascinating history lesson.

Godzilla (2014). 7/10.

For a monster movie, it doesn't fall into the usual cliches. One scientist isn't mad, the other driven by grief sort of is. The love interest/ sidebar isn't sappy. No special weapons to kill the monster. The cast/script isn't off the charts, but it's miles better than that train wreck of the late 90's. 

Yes there was some stupid parts. Like why would the Navy sail in formation around Godzilla like he's a US Submarine? 

How does the tug/tour ship get that far out with 5 minutes to go before the bomb goes off? 

But the monsters were destructive and fun. One of the better US versions of the King of the Monsters. And yes, I was excited as a kid when the atomic breath kicked in. Great if you love Monster movies, watchable to others I think. 

My real beef is not using Ken Watnabe and Bryan Cranston enough. And weird choice of using Gyorgy Ligeti's Requiem for the HALO drop. Works in 2001 at the Monolith. Not for a monster movie. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

On 5/19/2016 at 6:43 AM, Monty said:

A Year In Burgundy

After watching Somm: Into the Bottle, went straight into another wine documentary. This was far more in depth in regards to vineyards in Burgundy, interviewing winemakers in the region. Very interesting when they discuss the difference in soil, picking process, etc. Not as interesting ...Into the Bottle, but still a fascinating history lesson.

I drink a fair amount of wine, and really enjoyed both Somm and A Year in Burgundy. I had no idea they did a sequel, so thanks for posting that and I'll be sure to open a bottle and watch it.

I didn't find Somm to be about wine as much as it was about the ridiculously difficult [painstaikingly enjoyable] process of acquiring enough knowledge to write the Master Sommelier exam. In fact. I learned little to nothing about wine, although I really enjoyed following the story of the people involved.

A Year in Burgundy was a little more interesting, but really didn't share much more than could be found on the back of an informative wine bottle, or via one or 2 quick questions with your favourite local wine merchant. The idea of living in that part of France, eating food like that, pulling an old perfect vintage from the cellar for lunch before heading back into the field to tend to the vines is amazing. It's right up my alley. The cameras captured the family feel quite nicely, and framed the countryside in a romantic way (I'm a biased sucker for it), but the movie felt like an advertisement for the 2 showcased vineyards.

Having said all that I still recommend both to people who are interested in wine. Not just because the movies have some information about wine, but because wine is a lifestyle and those movies showcase 2 very different sides to that lifestyle in an entertaining manner.

Just my opinion.

edit: You might like Red Obsession. The story of Chinese wine lovers over buying Bordeaux wines and even trading them like currency while building their cellars as status symbols thereby driving up the price of rare Bordeaux wines. Apparently some of that fervor has recently tempered rendering the movie out of date (it's only 3-4 years old), but it is still worth a watch in my opinion.

Edited by Green Building

The Witch.... or VVitch   8/10

Creepy as F&%K. I would like it more if it was a bit longer, but it does stop leaving you wanting more.

And I really admire that old English they talk in. Everything makes you believe you are in the 17th century.

Edited by Hugor Hill

The 100 - season 3.  10/10 - Not necessarily thought provoking like True Detective, but it has been the most exciting and emotional season of TV I have ever seen. And it's f&%king brutal; a more focused version of Game of Thrones, for the young. 

I love the pacing of this show, the relentless story telling. No wasted time in exposition, no sentimental scenes where people talk extensively about their feelings, no 'we need to talk about what happened' like the viewers didn't just saw and completely comprehended what happened. No filler scenes, much less filler episodes. The plot is go go go until the bitter end.

Bring on season 4!

38 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

From your point of view, did you notice a drop in quality in season 5?

Intensity maybe. It had more if a 'place setting' feel overall I suppose than some of the other seasons.

• Upvote 1

The Witch 8/10

8 is more just a random placeholder; I know I liked this, but it still left me scratching my head. Definitely in the 'how did this get made?' vein. It's got great production values, from the costumes to the music to the framing to the dialogue, yet it's this bizarre little period piece fundamental religion vs. natural world exploration. In the end it just came off as an open ended riff on folklore and records from the witchhunt days. I'm happy the film exists, basically. Seems like it shouldn't, not at this level anyways. Cool stuff.

Just finished watch a great Asian horror flick from Taiwan called The Tag-Along. Pretty creepy ride and well worth a watch for anyone into horror movies. Check it out before the Hollywood remake that is bound to happen in the near future.

Synopsis for IMDB

Based on true events and long-circulating urban legend in Taiwan. Wei is nowhere to be found one day before his grandma returns from her own strange missing incident. Wei's girlfriend desperately searches for his whereabouts and finds that it is the horrifying mystery of the little girl in red that has followed and haunted them all along.