The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

11 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

there's a good book i read like two years ago called 'the penguin book of witches' that has a lot of the trial documents and testimony from that period - all in its original, now totally archaic language. to me, the movie just read like an interpretation of some of those case studies combined to a longer narrative. it seems so bizarrely and wonderfully authentic that it gets boatloads of points for that alone

really well executed

plus the (natural) lighting and stuff? so good

oh yeah when I was reading up on the director and the making of I came across a NY Public Library curated resource reading list 
http://www.nypl.org/blog/2016/02/26/witch-reading-list

Particularly interested in this one

Wayward Puritans : A Study in the Sociology of Deviance by Kai T. Erikson
"Erikson uses the Puritan settlement in 17th-century Massachusetts as a setting in which to examine several ideas about deviant behavior in society.Combining sociology and history, Erikson draws on the records of the Bay Colony to illustrate the way in which deviant behavior fits in the texture of social life generally."

And I guess that kind of gets to the heart of what I liked about The Witch. It didn't have an agenda, it didn't try to dictate a complex story or a message or a moral to me, just put me in a particular time and place and threw some (very real in that time and place...) ideas out into the air and let me decide. Where's the line between reality and the unknown, piety and deviance, nature and woman, right and wrong?

(still undecided - it's probably over there - yeah behind that tree)

• Upvote 1

i love you phillip morris: 6+1=7/10

nothing special about this outside of its pretty crazy story. but it earns a bonus point for having lightning fast editing and structure. it's only like 95 minutes long, but it goes by in like 15. 

Goosebumps - 6/10

It's a movie meant for pre-teens. It totally played as a movie meant for pre-teens. And it probably would be a pretty enjoyable movie for pre-teens.

There's not too much to it though. For a movie about a kid moving to a new town, there's little to nothing about his school life or him adapting to his new life. Nobody really grows, nor are there really any lessons learned, which is doubly odd because Goosebumps stories typically have some sort of a simple moral at the centre of things.

I think the approach was potentially the best one in that throwing together a bunch of Goosebumps antagonists into one story was probably better than either adapting just one long ass version of a single thin book, or to create something new altogether that is only Goosebumps in feel.

Issue is that they didn't take anything from the particularly creepy stories. And if they did, they didn't use what made it creepy. The movie had a storyline which made it simple to just emphasize more obvious creatures and tangible threats. Basically having familiar monsters run around, but causing everything to feel particularly childish and non-threatening because of it.

And that's all fine, because Goosebumps books are meant for a younger audience, as this movie is, but it would have been better served trying to be even a little scary, rather than comedy and action orientated as it was. Felt like it missed the point.

All that said though, I didn't think it particularly sucked, because these books and the TV show were a decently large part of my growing up, so it was cool seeing it on a level of production that this movie was.

But it's pointless fluff. Would recommend completely ignoring it if it doesn't touch some sort of nostalgic string.

bernie: 6.5/10.

Enjoyable little movie. Good performance from Jack Black. McConaughey does a decent, small role of McConaughey, too. I liked the style of the movie--kinda set up as a documentary (explained why at the end), and it had some good writing and hilarious design (taxidermy everywhere, old lady outfits were cute and cleverly hideous). but, with that said, it's probably my least favourite Richard Linklater movie.

9 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

bernie: 6.5/10.

Enjoyable little movie. Good performance from Jack Black. McConaughey does a decent, small role of McConaughey, too. I liked the style of the movie--kinda set up as a documentary (explained why at the end), and it had some good writing and hilarious design (taxidermy everywhere, old lady outfits were cute and cleverly hideous). but, with that said, it's probably my least favourite Richard Linklater movie.

The Newton Boys.

3 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

speaking of terrible, am I the only one who thinks Popstar: Never Stop Stopping looks really, really bad? obviously I'm not the target audience, but man oh man. Samberg just isn't funny to me

The Red Band trailer looks quite good. Plus, I've been hurting for a good mockumentary.

4 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Can anyone recommend a ghost story that's not really scary or horror? The lighthearted / comedy type.

Re-Animator. Everyday of the week, Re-Animator!

EDIT: Not a ghost story, but ridiculously funny.

Edited by Monty
  • Upvote 2