The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Love this thread. I think I've gone through 50 pages. Wanted to post my own reviews since I watched a couple recently:

A Few Good Men: 7.5/10 - Jack Nicholson is a brilliant actor. Always seems to deliver a memorable performance at least once every decade he's worked. I thought he carried this movie, as I was not a fan of Demi Moore's character at all. She acts head honcho and bosses around Tom Cruise's character all the time, yet seemingly is put down and disrespected by literally every other character she encounters. I'm not the biggest Tom Cruise fan, but a cocky, headstrong military defense lawyer fits his persona well.

The Departed: 10/10 - When you have a cast consisting of Wahlberg, Damon, Di Caprio, Nicholson, and Alec Baldwin, you better reach expectations. Sure enough, Scorsese delivers and then some. Di Caprio is a star in this one, where all his action/suspenseful scenes bring you to the edge of your seat. The Damon/Nicholson relationship just illustrates how corruption can be so hidden and illusive in the public eye, and how dangerous it can be when unnoticed. Would recommend this movie to anybody.

9 hours ago, tbone909 said:

Just finished watch a great Asian horror flick from Taiwan called The Tag-Along. Pretty creepy ride and well worth a watch for anyone into horror movies. Check it out before the Hollywood remake that is bound to happen in the near future.

Synopsis for IMDB

Based on true events and long-circulating urban legend in Taiwan. Wei is nowhere to be found one day before his grandma returns from her own strange missing incident. Wei's girlfriend desperately searches for his whereabouts and finds that it is the horrifying mystery of the little girl in red that has followed and haunted them all along.

The actually sounds creepy. 

On May 22, 2016 at 7:15 PM, Bure1994Mclean said:

Zootopia - 8/10. Great movie with lots of great lessons. 

Kung Fu Panda 3 - 7/10. Enjoyable movie even without having seen 1 or 2. 

Zootopia - 5/10

Kung Fu Panda 3 - Wife and I turned it off after 15 minutes.

Edited by Monty

Mockingjay Part 2: 4/10

Directors/Writers turned a brave, inspiring girl and a passive, yet intelligent and crowd charming guy with Katniss/Peeta into a whiny, over emotional, and often screaming Katniss and a straight up Psycopath in Peeta. Almost turned it off at one point, just because how unrealistic it was picturing them as anything close to leaders of a revolution.

• Upvote 1

Just finished watching the Big Short.

Insanely well done, although I expected a bit more comedy given the cast :P 

8/10. Great acting, writing, et cetera, et cetera.

My roommate said it would be inspiring, but all I feel is kinda pissed off that you can make money off the handling of money and betting on what money does.

Southbound 7/10

Indie horror-ish anthology movie. 5 (or 4 I guess) disconnected stories revolving around people passing through a ghost town in the desert. They got progressively better; no real scares and some hammy acting, but put together the pieces did feel pretty fresh and vital. I love the desert/southern horror vibe though - Hills Have Eyes, Texas Chainsaw, Dust Devil, The Hitcher - so this might be a skewed vote.

Been a month and a half since I've CDC'd... I feel like typing something, so here come my last 20 movies, haha. (probably too many at once but I'll keep the comments short)

They're in the order that I watched them:

In The Loop - tedious political comedy, that current Doctor Who guy was hilarious in it though  5/10

Moon - finally saw it, really liked it, wanted at least three more Rockwells 8/10

Army of Shadows - really neat, this is the one that I still think about the most 9/10

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - wish the entire movie was just Rey scavenging parts to earn magic bread disks 6.5/10

Rear Window - fantastic, Jimmy Stewart had me smiling the entire time 9/10

Pierrot le Fou  - there is such a thing as "too French" ... tabarnak ... 5.5/10

The Prestige - not a subject I enjoy, needlessly confusing due to whispering, Nolan being Nolan 5/10

Magnolia - Bloody awful. I'm still angry at this one. Cruise was interesting, the rest of it is bullsh1t. 1/10  

Edge of Tomorrow - Stupid yet very entertaining. I like whatever-her-name-is 6/10

Guardians of the Galaxy - Immature jokes, badly done sarcasm, unpleasant snarkiness. Completely pointless movie. All it was missing was that current Canadian Tire spokesmanchild guy.  1/10

Moonrise Kingdom - best love story I've seen in ages 8/10

Snowpiercer - Idiotic yet I couldn't stop watching 5/10

Kung Fu Hustle - silly and weird 5.5/10

Ex Machina - was half expecting a Young Adult crapfest, turned out to be pretty damn decent 8/10

Gone Girl - completely forgettable ... 5/10

Whiplash - ridiculous, but entertaining as hell  7/10

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief - The ship scenes in The Master now make sense to me. (I don't like to give rating scores to docs/10)

Bicycle Thieves - Fully appreciate the difficult filming locations and the tough ending but I didn't love it. I'd rather watch Chaplin and the boy from The Kid if I was forced to choose between the two films. 7.5/10

The Guard - really like Brendan Gleason but this wasn't very good  5.5/10

A Knight's Tale - silly, fun, they dance to Golden Years, I'm okay with it. 6/10

God damn that Magnolia though ... what total garbage. Terrible improvising. Terrible acting. Terrible "plot".

(I'm not actually a grumpy person, but god I just hated it so much haha)

On May 22, 2016 at 0:40 AM, The Bookie said:

The Witch 8/10

8 is more just a random placeholder; I know I liked this, but it still left me scratching my head. Definitely in the 'how did this get made?' vein. It's got great production values, from the costumes to the music to the framing to the dialogue, yet it's this bizarre little period piece fundamental religion vs. natural world exploration. In the end it just came off as an open ended riff on folklore and records from the witchhunt days. I'm happy the film exists, basically. Seems like it shouldn't, not at this level anyways. Cool stuff.

Perhaps I wasn't paying too close attention when I watched it today, but I didn't get it. As in, not interesting at all.

5 hours ago, Monty said:

Perhaps I wasn't paying too close attention when I watched it today, but I didn't get it. As in, not interesting at all.

Mmm see for me it was interesting specifically because I didn't really 'get it', but like I said I took it as an open riff on the various archetypes of the New England witch mythology. It definitely lodged itself in my brain. I was reading up on the writer/director - it's his first feature, but he worked for years as a set and prop designer, which is why all the little details in the film were so finely crafted. He also spent like 6 yrs researching the topic before writing the script.

I can see why it disappointed so many people though - the studio basically took a period piece occult arthouse movie and marketed it as the latest Jason Blum jumpscare crapfest. It's totally not for everyone and I can't even say I particularly enjoyed watching it, just glad that it's out there to experience. And it's probably not an ideal daytime watch. I watched it late at night with headphones on for the immersion feeling. Although there weren't any real scares, the general tension got to me enough that I had to take a couple breaks and take deep breaths. I don't know, I found it to be quite the experience, but different strokes and all that.

• Upvote 2

Theory of Everything 7.5/10

This one's a bit tough of a review as there's some very good and some not so good about this film IMO. Makes it hard to put a number on it. Let's get the bad out of the way...

It's a bit of a superficial look at a brilliant person and a rather conventional film. It's certainly appealing more to 'everyone' than trying to make any sort of statement or challenge viewers which is an opportunity missed IMO given the subject.

That said, both leads performances are PHENOMENAL IMO. This film hits you right in the feels so many times, over and over and over again. The amount Redmayne is able to convey with just his eyes as his characters body fails him is fantastic to watch. And I lost track of how many times I wanted to just give Jones a hug for her characters struggles. Heart aching to watch her constantly defy what would be beyond most people's limits. They were a joy too watch and made me cuddle up to my wife even closer while we were watching. Truly believable 'love' between two performers and it was a joy to watch. 

Makes the otherwise fairly 'by the numbers' film a worthwhile watch just to see them IMO.

Edited by J.R.

12 hours ago, The Bookie said:

Mmm see for me it was interesting specifically because I didn't really 'get it', but like I said I took it as an open riff on the various archetypes of the New England witch mythology. It definitely lodged itself in my brain. I was reading up on the writer/director - it's his first feature, but he worked for years as a set and prop designer, which is why all the little details in the film were so finely crafted. He also spent like 6 yrs researching the topic before writing the script.

I can see why it disappointed so many people though - the studio basically took a period piece occult arthouse movie and marketed it as the latest Jason Blum jumpscare crapfest. It's totally not for everyone and I can't even say I particularly enjoyed watching it, just glad that it's out there to experience. And it's probably not an ideal daytime watch. I watched it late at night with headphones on for the immersion feeling. Although there weren't any real scares, the general tension got to me enough that I had to take a couple breaks and take deep breaths. I don't know, I found it to be quite the experience, but different strokes and all that.

I certainly appreciated certain parts of the film, but I guess I was just bored. Wasn't on the edge of my seat, wasn't left guessing during the film. Just felt kind of "meh" while watching it. It is entirely possible, if not likely, I just wasn't in the right mood.

Speaking of mystery/horror films, have you seen The Orphanage? It's been 5 years since I watched it and I still think about it. Love this film.

Zootopia 8/10

Great flick that has appeal to both kids & adults. Disney bringing John Lasseter into Disney Animation Studios was a great move, these movies (Frozen, Wreck It Ralph, Big Hero6, etc) are so good.

Edited by falcon45ca

12 hours ago, The Bookie said:

there's a good book i read like two years ago called 'the penguin book of witches' that has a lot of the trial documents and testimony from that period - all in its original, now totally archaic language. to me, the movie just read like an interpretation of some of those case studies combined to a longer narrative. it seems so bizarrely and wonderfully authentic that it gets boatloads of points for that alone

really well executed

plus the (natural) lighting and stuff? so good

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - 7.5/10

I quite liked it. As a thriller it wasn't too thrilling, and its twists and turns weren't very twisty, but i really liked the pace of the movie. It was nice to see a move not so concerned with throwing everything it possibly could at the screen, at all times.

It really took its time to set up this period piece presence that worked. Was kind of like watching a Connery Bond film with two not quite Connery's.

1 hour ago, g_bassi13 said:

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - 7.5/10

I quite liked it. As a thriller it wasn't too thrilling, and its twists and turns weren't very twisty, but i really liked the pace of the movie. It was nice to see a move not so concerned with throwing everything it possibly could at the screen, at all times.

It really took its time to set up this period piece presence that worked. Was kind of like watching a Connery Bond film with two not quite Connery's.

After looking back on it, I actually quite enjoyed it. However, I still maintain that Henry Cavill was horribly miscast (as always). Although, Armie Hammer more than made up for it. Was very, very good in his role.

6 hours ago, J.R. said:

Theory of Everything 7.5/10

This one's a bit tough of a review as there's some very good and some not so good about this film IMO. Makes it hard to put a number on it. Let's get the bad out of the way...

It's a bit of a superficial look at a brilliant person and a rather conventional film. It's certainly appealing more to 'everyone' than trying to make any sort of statement or challenge viewers which is an opportunity missed IMO given the subject.

That said, both leads performances are PHENOMENAL IMO. This film hits you right in the feels so many times, over and over and over again. The amount Redmayne is able to convey with just his eyes as his characters body fails him is fantastic to watch. And I lost track of how many times I wanted to just give Jones a hug for her characters struggles. Heart aching to watch her constantly defy what would be beyond most people's limits. They were a joy too watch and made me cuddle up to my wife even closer while we were watching. Truly believable 'love' between two performers and it was a joy to watch. 

Makes the otherwise fairly 'by the numbers' film a worthwhile watch just to see them IMO.

I'd go as far as saying that this film did not likely deserve the performances it got from it's leads.

Edited by J.R.

Watched The Revenant about a week ago. Great story and amazing scenery. Though, I wish I had watched it on a different day when i was more in the mood. Still give it an 8/10. Alberta is beautiful :), been a few years since i've been but i loved Jasper and Banff

7 hours ago, Monty said:

After looking back on it, I actually quite enjoyed it. However, I still maintain that Henry Cavill was horribly miscast (as always). Although, Armie Hammer more than made up for it. Was very, very good in his role.

Who can Henry Cavill play if not an art-thief-turned-American-spy?