The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Watching Hunchback of Notre Dame with my boys. Honestly probably one of Disney's most underrated films IMO. Darker, more challenging and more adult themes (granted 'Disney-fied' from the source). The music while not having a 'poppy' standout (closest is probably the festival tune) like most Disney films, is very good and appropriate to the subject. The hand drawn animation is layered and detailed. Moral of inclusion before it was cool.

8/10

Watched Mulan (2020).  Without delving into Liu Yifei's personal political stances, I thought the movie itself was pretty but forgettable.

Besides the beautiful shots of scenery and partly successful representations of some Chinese cultural traits, the fact that it was filmed in English made many of their phrases and idioms lose much of their meaning, not to mention that they sounded more tacky.  Some major themes ("chi" plays a big part) are represented in such unnatural ways (basically stuffed in the dialogue and more of an Elsa-esque personal trait than something greater than an individual's own ability) and some other unbelievable plot points made me throw my hands up and go "what?".  Lastly, she falls into the same category as Rosie Huntington and other action heroines, in that some scenes just look too beautified to get me to buy into it.  

I gave it a 6/10.  Again it's really beautiful, but it felt too westernized (I'm Chinese and the appropriation of this character was too forced for my liking).    

Edited by Phil_314

On 9/7/2020 at 10:30 PM, BoKnows said:

venom 6/10

A lot of the jokes fell flat, and no character development.  The special affects were cool tho.

I watched it over a year ago, but remember enjoying it because it was kind of bad. Comic book movies that don't take themselves seriously usually makes for a better time. There's no way a Venom film should be anything but schlock.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

I watched it over a year ago, but remember enjoying it because it was kind of bad. Comic book movies that don't take themselves seriously usually makes for a better time. There's no way a Venom film should be anything but schlock.

I found it tried to be a very pg version of dead pool which just doesn't work imo.  It was still enjoyable but it could've been better.

Widows

Finally got around to watching this. Not worth it.

The last 20 minutes is really weak and predictable. If this was directed by anyone else except Steve McQueen (or any extremely talented director), nobody would have seen it and nobody would have cared. There are some clever choices in shots, which McQueen is known for, but none of those shots make the movie go from bad to watchable. 

Viola Davis is given the most to work with, but this is far from her best role. Not her fault. The other two female leads, newcomer Elizabeth Debicki (who I've liked) and Michelle Rodriguez (who nobody likes) are pretty forgettable. Debicki is given a little more to work with, but still not a lot. Rodriguez is given exactly as much as she's capable of working with, which is that she strings together a sentence without stuttering.

It's really not good. Again, if this was directed by someone who's a mid-level director, it would have been given a 30% overall concensus on Rotten Tomatoes, and would have never existed after being released. Instead, it's a 91% and still nobody who's seen it remembers seeing it.

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

This is Robert Zemeckis' first movie, released in 1978. First watched this 16 years ago, and watched it for the second time last night. Such a fun movie. The entire movie soundtrack features The Beatles music.

Movie is about a group of friends who travel to New York in 1963 to try and find a way unto the Ed Sullivan show to get a glimpse of the Fab 4. Most of the movie takes place at the hotel The Beatles are staying at. Such a great movie. Lots of fun.

5ca39dbe7b238.image.thumb.jpg.2c7651d0247ca8a5cdcd30b6a895dd4e.jpg

For anybody who enjoys foreign films, french cinematography is in a pretty decent state. The last french film i had the pleasure of watching was "Le Jeu", a movie wherein 8 middle-aged friends meet up for a dinner, and then proceed to play a game that stipulates that all phones shall be placed in the middle of the table, and that every single notification will be read aloud, each phone call will be answered on speaker etc...... 

Very good idea, since if this were actually done in real life, I imagine some people would be faced with similar issues, drama etc...

Very different and enjoyable, characters are very likeable, and the story takes some good twists and turns.

7.5/10. Not the classic french movie ala Intouchables but still a very enjoyable experience. Recommend it. 

Logan Lucky

Took me a few years to get to this, but definitely worth watching. Steven Soderbergh movie starring everyone. As the synopsis explains, its pretty much a redneck version of Ocean's 11. Because of that, I think it might be just as, if not even better.

The Devil At All Times

Netflix movie starring everyone, as well. Worse than the book. Not great.

Uncut Gems

Took me a while to get to it. I watched the first 35 minutes or so 9 months ago and just couldn't get into it. Finally finished it and just didn't dig it. Strange, because I loved the Safdi Brothers other film, Good Time, which was my favorite movie the year it came out. Too bad, but I can see why people like it.

‐------------

The Peanut Butter Falcon

I'd have to go through the movies released in 2019, but this might be my favourite of the year. Said it before, Shia LaBeouf has really turned things around, and this was just a pleasure to watch. Really sweet story of two people on the run in the south. Shia from some guys he crossed, and a mentally challenged 22 year old who's escaped from a home care facility, and the two's paths cross almost immediately.

There isn't a movie I can think of that I'd recommend more, at the moment. A must watch.

a6bfcbcecb2fe22f108248688953727d76c54c87.thumb.png.8341975c33b664c42287c1b1875b2c04.png

22 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

The Devil All The Time

Worth a watch. Thought Holland was great in it.

Love when a movie with simple dialogue and straight to the point situations gets you right in the gut.

Wow.

I read this book. Didn't know they made a movie.The backstory of the author is awesome. I believe he was a factory worker that tried his hand at writing later in life, was a natural. 

Thanks, can't wait to watch it. 

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Wow.

I read this book. Didn't know they made a movie.The backstory of the author is awesome. I believe he was a factory worker that tried his hand at writing later in life, was a natural. 

Thanks, can't wait to watch it. 

He narrates the story.

The narration is great.

It's a Netflix movie

Edited by Shift-4
  • Vintage 1

Off to watch Tenet at the Drive-In tonight. I'm posting now because I'm pretty pessimistic about this movie. It sounds like Nolan is going for the class approach of "make things so insanely confusing that everyone will think I'm a genius". I'm far more interested in geniuses that can communicate complex ideas in understandable ways without dumbing things down. Making things overly complex is in some ways just laziness masquerading as intelligence. Will update tonight/tomorrow.