The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Canucks vs Sharks Rnd 1**

carlweezer

The Sharks absolutely dominated us in the season series, which is always a good indication of matchups and playoff performances I'm afraid.

San Jose has been the best team at home in the NHL, so if we drop even 1 game in Vancouver this series is pretty much over.

A Vezina-candidate goalie is EXACTLY what this team doesn't need as well, with the pathetic offence they're boasting right now. Averaging under 2 goals per game in the last 8 or 9 games going into the playoffs isn't good, but at least the powerplay is heating up again.

Would have much rather preferred the Kings - get some pay-back for them beating us last season would be similar to our repeat series against Chicago. In this case, the Sharks want revenge against us for 2011 and don't be surprised if they get it.

Let's look at the matchups for THIS season:

VAN 1st line > SJS 1st line

119 pts (36 goals) > 108 pts (45 goals though)

VAN 2nd line > SJS 2nd line

68 pts (Kesler limited games) > 67 pts

VAN 3rd line > SJS 3rd line

47 pts > 41 pts

VAN 4th line > SJS 4th line

23 pts > 10 pts

---

VAN 1st pairing > SJS 1st pairing

40 pts, +27 > 39 pts, +3

VAN 2nd pairing > SJS 2nd pairing

34 pts, +1 > 19 pts, +4

VAN 3rd pairing = SJS 3rd pairing

9 pts, +2 > 13 pts, -1

---

VAN goalie (Schneider) < SJS goalie (Niemi)

---

VAN Powerplay < SJS Powerplay

22nd in league <<<< 7th in league

VAN Penalty Kill < SJS Penalty Kill

8th in league < 6th in league

---

So based on the matchups, San Jose wins this series if the special teams battle goes on a lot (the same way we beat them in 2011), or their goalie steals the series.

Vancouver wins this series if it gets into a shootout. Our depth scoring is far better than theirs, and our defence is MUCH better than theirs.

The Sharks absolutely dominated us in the season series, which is always a good indication of matchups and playoff performances I'm afraid.

San Jose has been the best team at home in the NHL, so if we drop even 1 game in Vancouver this series is pretty much over.

A Vezina-candidate goalie is EXACTLY what this team doesn't need as well, with the pathetic offence they're boasting right now. Averaging under 2 goals per game in the last 8 or 9 games going into the playoffs isn't good, but at least the powerplay is heating up again.

Would have much rather preferred the Kings - get some pay-back for them beating us last season would be similar to our repeat series against Chicago. In this case, the Sharks want revenge against us for 2011 and don't be surprised if they get it.

47 pts > 41 pts

23 pts > 10 pts

---

40 pts, +27 > 39 pts, +3

34 pts, +1 > 19 pts, +4

9 pts, +2 > 13 pts, -1

---

---

---

So based on the matchups, San Jose wins this series if the special teams battle goes on a lot (the same way we beat them in 2011), or their goalie steals the series.

Vancouver wins this series if it gets into a shootout. Our depth scoring is far better than theirs, and our defence is MUCH better than theirs.

I feel better playing San Jose than I do playing LA to be honest. Even though the Sharks swept the season series, if I'm not mistaken all of which were decided by one goal (and with Niemi standing on his head). We also didn't have Kesler or Roy in the line up for either of those games, so take that into consideration as well.

If I had to take a guess I'd say San Jose's 2011 team was better than their current line up with Clowe, Wellwood and Murray gone and Torres and Gomez coming in. I understand people saying underestimating your opponent is a bad thing but this will be an easier serious than most make it out to be.

47 pts > 41 pts

23 pts > 10 pts

---

40 pts, +27 > 39 pts, +3

34 pts, +1 > 19 pts, +4

9 pts, +2 > 13 pts, -1

---

---

---

Archived