The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cam Cole (Vancouver Sun) RIPS Mike Gillis and Canucks to Shreds - Defends Alain Vigneault

As far as making the team money is concerned, there's no doubt that Gillis as GM has served well with regard to the organization's bottom line. That being said, let's not forget that the real money for NHL team owners comes in the playoffs where the revenue is as close to pure profit as it can get since the players don't get salaries in the post-season. Early playoff exits most definitely impacts the team's revenue and profits.

I could be wrong but my feeling is that Gillis will be here for a while yet. I believe he will be given an opportunity with a clean slate and new coaching staff but I'm not sure how much time he would have left to right the ship.

This team's true identity is going to come out once they start playing in their new division with the likes of San Jose, Anaheim and LA as regular dance partners for the top-3 spot.

Henrik and LaPierre might as well be 5"5 140 lbs for how they're playing. Gallagher (MTL) is playing bigger that almost all of our forwards.

Our Biggest toughest guys ( we have almost none NHL standards ) need to be able to play and 7/9 of our TOP 9 forward core our playing like smurfs and woefully undersized and lack the intensity to play at lenght this time of year.

The entire fan base has been saying this for years.

Good luck going into next year with the same core Aquilini.

While I do agree that Gillis has done a very poor job to keep building the team, at least since 2010, the way Cole deflects blame from AV is a HUGE CROCK OF BS. He thinks that anyone who thinks it would have made a difference what players are used or what line ups are made up is living in dream land. Is this guy for real? AV picks the worst line-ups imaginable, and that is only one of the problems with AV, albeit a very big one. The way Cole totally dismisses the idea that AV has been any detriment to the team or that he has any significant share of the responsibility for this situation the Canucks are in is downright ludicrous. This guy has to be held accountable for this mess or this team will never get anywhere. AV has simply got to go. End of story.

Not a huge AV fan but will defend him a bit he gets way to much heat from the fans, MG is totally the guy that should be fired and regardless AV is gone with him anyway. AV works with the team he is given, it's the GM's job to find the right mix, the writing was on the wall last season they needed scoring wingers, they needed a center, they needed to trade a goalie, those are the top 3 things they needed to address before the season started instead MG went out and landed another 4.5mil dman! signed Raymond for scoring and had no center and a 5million dollar back up. Plus everyone knew Ballard would get limited ice time so right there before the season even starts you have 9.5 mil tied up in assets you don't need plus no center.

I'm sorry but the Canucks are one of the best teams in the NHL on paper.

You couldn't ask for more depth at center with Henrik, Kesler and Roy. Best 3 centers in the NHL, not even Pittsburgh has a 3rd line center that good, considering Roy is a 40-60 point producer.

We have gritty wingers and depth scorers who are up there with the league's best. Not many teams had so many 10-goal scorers this season.

Then look at our top-4 defence, on paper one of the best in the league, with arguably the best 3rd pairing in the league.

Then of course, the best goalie tandem in the league.

MG has done everything he physically can to build a winner, but what's gone wrong is on the ice and in the locker-room. It's the coaching staff's job to get the most out of their players, and they have for the most part during the regular season. Translating that to playoff success is NOT the general manager's job, but the coaches.

Again, it's not MG's fault that the powerplay is abysmal, despite having the Sedins, Kesler and Garrison on the same team.

You couldn't ask for more depth at center with Henrik, Kesler and Roy. Best 3 centers in the NHL, not even Pittsburgh has a 3rd line center that good, considering Roy is a 40-60 point producer.

We have gritty wingers and depth scorers who are up there with the league's best. Not many teams had so many 10-goal scorers this season.

Then look at our top-4 defence, on paper one of the best in the league, with arguably the best 3rd pairing in the league.

MG has done everything he physically can to build a winner, but what's gone wrong is on the ice and in the locker-room. It's the coaching staff's job to get the most out of their players, and they have for the most part during the regular season. Translating that to playoff success is NOT the general manager's job, but the coaches.

Again, it's not MG's fault that the powerplay is abysmal, despite having the Sedins, Kesler and Garrison on the same team.

Check the numbers. The team is worth more now than it was when Gillis got here.

Ticket prices are higher then they've ever been, and merchandise sales are very strong.

Going to the finals will have that effect on a team, and Gillis will ride that for as long as he can.

As far as making the team money is concerned, there's no doubt that Gillis as GM has served well with regard to the organization's bottom line. That being said, let's not forget that the real money for NHL team owners comes in the playoffs where the revenue is as close to pure profit as it can get since the players don't get salaries in the post-season. Early playoff exits most definitely impacts the team's revenue and profits.

I could be wrong but my feeling is that Gillis will be here for a while yet. I believe he will be given an opportunity with a clean slate and new coaching staff but I'm not sure how much time he would have left to right the ship.

This team's true identity is going to come out once they start playing in their new division with the likes of San Jose, Anaheim and LA as regular dance partners for the top-3 spot.

I hate how people keep saying it's the end of an era. How is 4 years an era? Cause really that's all it's been since we have been a top team with a chance to win the cup.

And to say that we have no future because the cupboard is bare is ignorant. Not enough fans or media even know about our prospects cause they don't bother following them. Pretty much if they're not top 5 picks nobody talks about them.

And then guys like Tanev and Corrado come out of nowhere, and it just goes to show that the media really doesn't know anything about these guys.

About the cupboard being bare, it's not like the Canucks have had top 10 picks every year. And for the most part, Gillis has picked the best player available in most drafts (Hodgson, Schroeder, Jensen, Gaunce, all were the best forwards available when they were drafted). This isn't choosing Patrick White when guys like Perron were available. After than when you're selecting in the 50's the chances of hitting will reduce. It's been disappointing that guys like Rodin, Sauve, Connauton when he was here and other higher picks haven't panned out, but that's also because our main roster has been so deep.

Plus we're almost alway in on every college free agent. We got Tanev that way, and we have been one of the last couple choices for the last few big names to come from the NCAA. That never used to happen before Gillis got here.

As for trades, I didn't see many people complaining when we traded two relatively useless players (Sameulsson & Sturn) for Booth, a top six power forward we needed. Getting Ballard, a puck moving, tough d-man was also a good move too, but health and other reasons (AV) have kept them from excelling here. Gillis has made Vancouver a destination for free agents. I remember years when we had to give above market value contracts to get players to come here.

The only mistake Gillis has made in my opinion is the handling of Hodgson. I don't mind the trade, it just sucks seeing our best prospect suddenly leave and we not get a player who has an impact immediately. It set us back a bit in the depth chart the past year. But it could still pay off.

About the cupboard being bare, it's not like the Canucks have had top 10 picks every year. And for the most part, Gillis has picked the best player available in most drafts (Hodgson, Schroeder, Jensen, Gaunce, all were the best forwards available when they were drafted). This isn't choosing Patrick White when guys like Perron were available. After than when you're selecting in the 50's the chances of hitting will reduce. It's been disappointing that guys like Rodin, Sauve, Connauton when he was here and other higher picks haven't panned out, but that's also because our main roster has been so deep.

Plus we're almost alway in on every college free agent. We got Tanev that way, and we have been one of the last couple choices for the last few big names to come from the NCAA. That never used to happen before Gillis got here.

As for trades, I didn't see many people complaining when we traded two relatively useless players (Sameulsson & Sturn) for Booth, a top six power forward we needed. Getting Ballard, a puck moving, tough d-man was also a good move too, but health and other reasons (AV) have kept them from excelling here. Gillis has made Vancouver a destination for free agents. I remember years when we had to give above market value contracts to get players to come here.

The only mistake Gillis has made in my opinion is the handling of Hodgson. I don't mind the trade, it just sucks seeing our best prospect suddenly leave and we not get a player who has an impact immediately. It set us back a bit in the depth chart the past year. But it could still pay off.

Well said Mr. Amigo .. I would fire MG as well, except the timing is bad with the upcoming drafts etc, unless it is someone from within the Organization .. none of them stand out to me .. replace AV and staff with Brent Sutter, Jim Playfair and a creative special teams coach .. hire Malhotra for defensive coverages and PK .. one year, Gillis .. gather your forces unto yourself and grow a pair .. ever onward .. Go Canucks Go ..

Cam Cole isn't watching this team close enough if he doesn't believe AV should go.

He makes stupid decisions, favours certain players and does not hold the team responsible. He is the main reason we have collapsed so quickly.

As much as I hate AV's decisions over the starting goalie for game 3 and tonight which I think are bad decisions. MG has made way more costly decisions regarding this team. I want them both to go but MG clearly made the bigger and more frequent mistakes.

Archived