The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tanev Hires Agent; Close to Resigning

Don't be daft. You missed the point (or more likely just skirted it with a strawman 'are you comparing Tanev to Lidstrom' sidetrack) - which was quite simply that to shut people down a defenseman doesn't necessarily need to run people through the boards, or clear them from in front of the net - there are different types of shutdown/defensive defensemen. Splitting hairs over symantics is a waste of time.

Your right. Semantics does not change the fact that Tanev simply doesn't have the skill set, size, or offensive production to warrant a salary higher than ~$1.5m.

You can call him whatever you want..."Rainbow shut down happy fun time defenseman" for all I care, if he wants more money he needs to either contribute to the score sheet more and/or bring more physicality. End of story.

Article:

No urgency in Tanev contract talks, say agent

The longer it goes on, the worse it gets for Tanev ('if' the rumors are true that he's looking for $2M+). His comparables keep signing contracts that are in the $1.1-1.4M range.

Here's his comparables:

164od.jpg

Other than +/- and games played (GP), he's pretty much below all other comparables on TOI, points, BS, Hits etc. What other stats do they use for RFAs? Gotta think he gets a max 2 yr, $2.4M contract ($1.2M per yr).

For all you know the Canucks could be offering 1.1 and Tanev asking for 1.4 - this discussion is really based upon no sources.

I'm reading things in this thread like 'Tanev will never be a top 4' and assumptions that he's pretty much reached his potential, doesn't have the ability to score, etc. Those are blind assumptions however - I remember Burrows development, and I consider them fairly similar in many ways aside from the position they play. Burrows second season in the NHL, he played 81 games and scored 9 points. His role was to play a depth, shutdown role and not concern himself with scoring... Tanev is 23 - to assume that he's done developing is senseless (as opposed to a 35 yr old who is smaller, less skilled, and nevertheless a shutdown defenseman).

Seriously, I don't even know why people even remotely thinks Tanev is worth 2M. The market price is set when Jake Muzzin signed a 2 year 2Mil contract.

If Jake Muzzin is a 1M cap hit type player, I don't even imagine how Tanev is worth more. Jake Muzzin is a much more complete player at this stage then Tanev

Don't be daft. You missed the point (or more likely just skirted it with a strawman 'are you comparing Tanev to Lidstrom' sidetrack) - which was quite simply that to shut people down a defenseman doesn't necessarily need to run people through the boards, or clear them from in front of the net. There are obviously different types of shutdown/defending. Hamhius isn't exactly the stereotype of a shutdown defenseman, but he certainly manages. Splitting hairs over symantics is a waste of time.

In terms of what Tanev "deserves", MG and his camp will work that out - likewise where splitting hairs over pinpointing his value is concerned - we really have no idea where both sides are regarding his contract.

My primary concern would simply be a ridiculous offer sheet where the Canucks were forced to take a 2nd as compensation (which appears highly unlikely), otherwise I'm sure they'll find reasonable terms and the dramatics of this thread probably not well spent.

Article:

The longer it goes on, the worse it gets for Tanev ('if' the rumors are true that he's looking for $2M+). His comparables keep signing contracts that are in the $1.1-1.4M range.

Here's his comparables:

164od.jpg

Other than +/- and games played (GP), he's pretty much below all other comparables on TOI, points, BS, Hits etc. What other stats do they use for RFAs? Gotta think he gets a max 2 yr, $2.4M contract ($1.2M per yr).

It is pretty easy to look at the comparables and determine what Tanev is actually worth. Whether or not Mike Gillis overpays him has yet to be determined though.

The trouble is that not every player can be a core player on a team like Gillis seems to think. He is happy to pay depth players too much and for too long. As in, why did Sestito get two years again? Why does Higgins have a NTC and a 4 year deal?

There are core players and there are supporting cast. Not in Gillis' world though which is why this team is in a cap mess.

Another meaningless attachment to a mere term - "core player" - which is irrelevent really.

Higgins got 2.5 because he came in here and scored 43 points on the third line - tremendous third line production really - numbers that are in line with what a high end second line winger makes - and he did so getting primarily defensive zone starts, and playing solid two way hockey. People really complain way too much about Higgins getting a league average salary and a relatively meaningless NTC that people blow out of proportion around here all the time because they're so desperate to find something to whine about. Higgins had some injury problems this year and still managed to score at a 20 goal pace... Solid re-signing.

Sorry I maybe misunderstanding but he is only behind on Blocked shots since the one guy has 70ish more games and 50 more blocked shots. His camp could potentially contend that he is below all the other players due to the fact that he has less ice time than most (aside from martinez)

I think a fair deal would be a 3 year / 4m - broken down however he feels is beneficial but gets an avg cap hit of 1.3

Article:

Here's his comparables:

164od.jpg

Archived