The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

I really think he could get a 9 game look. He clearly has the skill to make the team, I'm just afraid he'd be ruined physically if he had to play 82 games against men at his current size. The Canucks have a good one in this kid and it would be in the team's best interest to let him develop more physically before he plays full time in the NHL.

Actually ran into Shinkaruk the other day. He plays a lot bigger than he actually is in person. But after a 5 minute conversation with him, I could definitely get the sense that he's cocky, but it's a good, high self esteem but still knowing he has to prove himself cocky. I know from some of his medicine hat games that he has a lot of tenacity, but after actually conversing with him, he's probably my favorite Canuck after Kesler.

post-30286-0-05170600-1379638707_thumb.j

Actually ran into Shinkaruk the other day. He plays a lot bigger than he actually is in person. But after a 5 minute conversation with him, I could definitely get the sense that he's cocky, but it's a good, high self esteem but still knowing he has to prove himself cocky. I know from some of his medicine hat games that he has a lot of tenacity, but after actually conversing with him, he's probably my favorite Canuck after Kesler.

Don't be embarrassed of your calves. :lol:

your smile > shinkaruks smile

His offensive instincts are off the charts. I'd say if he was fully developped he would be 3rd behind the twins in terms of offensive skill

Problem is the physicality.

He seems fast enough for the game. He doesn't look lost out there like some of our other rookies and he's not scared of getting hit... I'm just worried about the effects of the physicality on his frame.

I can't wait till he is a full time canuck though..he is exactly what this team needs. A Gamebreaker.

Here's Shinkaruk's write up from the Hockey Prospectus review of our prospect pool:

1. Hunter Shinkaruk, Center

2011-12 Ranking: N/A

Date of birth: 10/13/1994

Height: 5'10''

Weight: 181

Shoots: Left

Statistics: 64 GP, 37 G, 86 P (Medicine Hat, WHL)

Acquired: First round, 24th overall in 2013 by Vancouver

Year in Review: Shinkaruk was a top offensive player in the WHL again, and he was a second team All Star in his conference.

The Good: Shinkaruk has unique offensive talent, and he can make a lot of plays. He is a very agile and shifty skater with a powerful stride. Shinkaruk's puck skills are high end, as he displays great coordination and creativity. His hands and his agility make him quite a tough player to check, even in tight spaces. Shinkaruk thinks the game well on offense, as he flashes good vision and makes quick plays. He also has an above-average shot.

The Bad: Shinkaruk's physical game is a notable concern, as he is a small player who needs bulk and does not really have an aggressive element to his game. His defensive game also is a concern.

Projection: He could be a top line forward.

Lets not jump the gun on him. Let him dominate the whl for another season really rub it in Calgary's face. I really think we shouldn't hurry Hunter S into the line up especially while we have Shredder who also deserves a chance to be undersized speedy skill guy on the team. Sure Hunter looks good but he will look even better after honing his skills for a year or 2 not playing against giant nhl defenders who will punish him severely for every mistake. I'm personally really excited for the kid I just think his creativity will flourish even more if he is in a leadership role in a league with a bit more time and space.

Well at least Shinkaruk is eligible for the AHL next year. Don't have to worry about not being able to call him up during the middle of the season

Is this confirmed? If so, then I think it's a no brainer that he gets sent down to the Comets and is the first offensive call-up when Higgins/Booth gets injured.

this kid is great now just think if he grows 1-2 " in the next year or 2 and add 15-20 lbs...... he would be a force out there.

but even at his size now he seems more ready then anyone else in our system..... and he was a late 1st round pick how does that even happen.

Archived