The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hunter Shinkaruk | C/W

-Vintage Canuck-

This was posted by a Medicine Hats fan on another forum

Update from Medicine Hat

That footwork you see is not new in the whl, he does it to try and freeze the defender then take off wide. Teams are being told off the rush shinkaruk only goes wide, and just wait for his burst of speed to the outside and he is being shut down 98% of the time. The refs now know him and are used to his embellishment and aren't making calls in his favor anymore.

He has always been faster than the opposition, but being in the limelight he has been targeted and focused on, and he is unable to create some extra room for himself. He has always had trouble creating space one on one against a good defenseman because he is a pure north/south player. He hasn't learned the lateral offensive game, to get a defenseman off balance, and just rushing to the boards to get around the defenseman faster. He hasn't scored a goal in a month.

When the camera is rolling he gives it his absolute all. He was a different player on TV at the Russia Canada series than he is playing for Medicine Hat.

One thing I don't like about him this season is that he is not working on himself to improve his game. He is complaining to the ref, taking retaliatory penalties, and cheating on his defensive game to get more offensive opportunities. It seems like he has stopped trying. I hope this Team Canada thing kick-starts him back into gear.

Look at all those red flags... He didn't take getting sent back down to junior too well. Thank god Torts makes sure there isn't any more diving on our team..

Total opposite of what Horvat is doing this year.

Better get used to that knuckle drag celebration, you're going to see it a lot.

Should have traded up for Émile Poirier.

Jokes aside, this kid's going to be just fine. Every prospect has growing pains and the indictments against his character/ability to play the game are opinions of non hockey professionals.

We're all bush league amateur at determining talent and skill, and very easy to say whom should do what. If we were professionals, we wouldn't be on forums talking about it, we'd be doing it.

As a professional in my industry, I don't go to other professionals and dictate how they should do their jobs; somehow people seem to think that the internet gives them license to spew rhetoric and claim opinion as fact, when all they're doing is speaking from a soapbox upon deaf ears.

</rant>

Jokes aside, this kid's going to be just fine. Every prospect has growing pains and the indictments against his character/ability to play the game are opinions of non hockey professionals.

We're all bush league amateur at determining talent and skill, and very easy to say whom should do what. If we were professionals, we wouldn't be on forums talking about it, we'd be doing it.

As a professional in my industry, I don't go to other professionals and dictate how they should do their jobs; somehow people seem to think that the internet gives them license to spew rhetoric and claim opinion as fact, when all they're doing is speaking from a soapbox upon deaf ears.

</rant>

I gotta sayI agree with this. I don't know if it's age or naive but if posters would just stop and think before they head to the keyboard.

As Mark Twain said ( I think it was Twain ) better to let people think your stupid than open your mouth and confirm it

This was posted by a Medicine Hats fan on another forum

Update from Medicine Hat

That footwork you see is not new in the whl, he does it to try and freeze the defender then take off wide. Teams are being told off the rush shinkaruk only goes wide, and just wait for his burst of speed to the outside and he is being shut down 98% of the time. The refs now know him and are used to his embellishment and aren't making calls in his favor anymore.

He has always been faster than the opposition, but being in the limelight he has been targeted and focused on, and he is unable to create some extra room for himself. He has always had trouble creating space one on one against a good defenseman because he is a pure north/south player. He hasn't learned the lateral offensive game, to get a defenseman off balance, and just rushing to the boards to get around the defenseman faster. He hasn't scored a goal in a month.

When the camera is rolling he gives it his absolute all. He was a different player on TV at the Russia Canada series than he is playing for Medicine Hat.

One thing I don't like about him this season is that he is not working on himself to improve his game. He is complaining to the ref, taking retaliatory penalties, and cheating on his defensive game to get more offensive opportunities. It seems like he has stopped trying. I hope this Team Canada thing kick-starts him back into gear.

Look at all those red flags... He didn't take getting sent back down to junior too well. Thank god Torts makes sure there isn't any more diving on our team..

Total opposite of what Horvat is doing this year.

Just stop.

</rant>

<!-- Welcome to CDC... -->

I gotta sayI agree with this. I don't know if it's age or naive but if posters would just stop and think before they head to the keyboard.

As Mark Twain said ( I think it was Twain ) better to let people think your stupid than open your mouth and confirm it

"It is better to have people think you a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

</rant>

OH gosh, I'm so glad Shinkaruk landed with us. Porier is a safer pick, but Shinkaruk has top line potentials.

Just an explosive stud, can't wait to see this kid in the WJ

After that lighting it up for the Canucks.

Reminds me a lot of Skinner for sure.

There's a part of me that outside of wanting Canada to dominate, just wants our picks in the WJC to absolutely eat other teams apart. I might not even be upset if the Americans win so long as Cassels chews it up and earns MVP ;)

Archived