The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

Its like no one thinks he can progress, Burrows and Kesler were looked at the exact same way when they first made the team. There's still room for growth in his game.

oh for sure. Like i dont think hes going to develop in to Jamie Benn ffs. I do think he gets a little stronger and plays harder along the boards. He had an impressive rookie campaign. I think he can easily replace Higgins in a season or 2.

Everyone wants to get younger. Vey is young. If you think you can bring in a kid and hes going to look way better than our vets your very naive. Im sure you agree.

We're lucky with Cassels. The holes in his game can be overcome. It's not like the problem is between his ears because he obviously thinks the game well enough to hold Connor Mcdavid at bay. His skating can be worked on. When his skating gets better (and it will) he will become a great player for this team!

Complete waste of time. To try and predict a players potential NHL skill level at age 19 or 20 is a total crapshoot. There are just too many ingredients to consider, such as...

Desire, heart, attitude, late bloomer, injury history, how coachable are they, physical limitations at given ages, Hockey IQ and mental aptitude potential

Adam Oates didn't make the NHL fulltime till he was 25 I believe and he blossomed into one of the great playmaking centers of his era. No scientific chart or clinical studies could have ever predicted that. These analytic guys who keep coming out of the woodwork are nothing more than snake oil salesman. The asst GM guy in TO is the best of them all.

Analytics may work for baseball but the NHL is a way different sport and isn't based on odds and percentages. Too many moving parts in a hockey game and it changes much from shift to shift. In baseball a MGR can call a timeout and bring in a lefty to face a left handed batter because the odds are in the pitchers favour in that particular matchup. Hockey is completely different and no one seems to realize that when going over these useless stats. On paper anything is possible. On the ice, not so much.

I pretty much agree with most of that, which is why that's probably the only article on draft analytics that I've ever posted, I just saw the picture. Most scouts and coaches that I've heard talk about them find them frustrating because they ignore most of what they look for in a player.

However, just about every team uses analytics but they rarely talk about the ones they use; like zone entries, real possession (what happens to the puck after a player touches it) and just straight up real scoring chances, ignoring low percentage shot attempts.

Yes, because Linden Vey's pro game has so far translated well. Maybe people should just stop watching hockey altogether. Not that they actually watched Vey...

Vey was another one of those 'why?' trades. I guess just to appease WD, but even he didn't play him in the playoffs. Just gets in the way of one of our own guys. Hopefully out of the way by the time Cassels or one of our other centers is ready for the big time.

I'm very disappointed between the difference in treatment between vey and Kassian. Vey joints the team and immediately rockets to the 1pp unit because he is a "right shot" player- so is Kassian.

Also vey and McMillan got the nod mid way through the Calgary series when it should have been baertschi- they ended up inserting baertschi too late

It's actually a little disconcerting when coaches play such favourstism

I'm very disappointed between the difference in treatment between vey and Kassian. Vey joints the team and immediately rockets to the 1pp unit because he is a "right shot" player- so is Kassian.

Also vey and McMillan got the nod mid way through the Calgary series when it should have been baertschi- they ended up inserting baertschi too late

It's actually a little disconcerting when coaches play such favourstism

Vey had three good years in the AHL before we traded for him..By all accounts he should have been ready for prime time...He was given every opportunity to succeed........Kassian didn't do much of anything until late in the season,after numerous healthy scratches (I think his conditioning/attitude was the big issue..he wasn't in shape at the beginning of the year)...Both players had disappointing seasons IMO....Both players became a headache/liability for WD Im sure...How do you pick favourites between two underachieving players?.

Complete waste of time. To try and predict a players potential NHL skill level at age 19 or 20 is a total crapshoot. There are just too many ingredients to consider, such as...

Desire, heart, attitude, late bloomer, injury history, how coachable are they, physical limitations at given ages, Hockey IQ and mental aptitude potential

Adam Oates didn't make the NHL fulltime till he was 25 I believe and he blossomed into one of the great playmaking centers of his era. No scientific chart or clinical studies could have ever predicted that. These analytic guys who keep coming out of the woodwork are nothing more than snake oil salesman. The asst GM guy in TO is the best of them all.

Analytics may work for baseball but the NHL is a way different sport and isn't based on odds and percentages. Too many moving parts in a hockey game and it changes much from shift to shift. In baseball a MGR can call a timeout and bring in a lefty to face a left handed batter because the odds are in the pitchers favour in that particular matchup. Hockey is completely different and no one seems to realize that when going over these useless stats. On paper anything is possible. On the ice, not so much.

It is not a total crapshoot. There is uncertainty and some guys will be late bloomers (like Oates). But one or two surprises does not mean that it is impossible to make useful projections at age 19 or 20. Horvat just turned 20. I feel safe in projecting that he will be a good NHL player. There is more uncertainty with Cassels (who is the same age) but guys who perform as he has in his draft+2 year usually become NHL regulars (something that only about 30% of third round picks achieve). Se we can legitimately be happy about Cassels.

Even at age 18 (the draft year) projections are meaningful. There is a reason why guys like McDavid and Eichel this year and Eckblad and Reinhart (last year) are high picks. Projecting those guys as likely top NHL players is far from a crapshoot. And by age 20 a lot more is known about how a player is developing.

It is not a total crapshoot. There is uncertainty and some guys will be late bloomers (like Oates). But one or two surprises does not mean that it is impossible to make useful projections at age 19 or 20. Horvat just turned 20. I feel safe in projecting that he will be a good NHL player. There is more uncertainty with Cassels (who is the same age) but guys who perform as he has in his draft+2 year usually become NHL regulars (something that only about 30% of third round picks achieve). Se we can legitimately be happy about Cassels.

Even at age 18 (the draft year) projections are meaningful. There is a reason why guys like McDavid and Eichel this year and Eckblad and Reinhart (last year) are high picks. Projecting those guys as likely top NHL players is far from a crapshoot. And by age 20 a lot more is known about how a player is developing.

You don't need analytics to size up how the McDavids and Ekblads of the world will turn out once they reach the NHL

Archived