The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Sabres struggling to re-sign Hodgson, fielding offers for him

Not a very objective summary.

Want objective?

He was very good, and sometimes GREAT in Junior.

Since then? Not so much.

Why? Too slow, not enough physical strength. Kyle Wellwood also scored in junior . Not so much in the NHL.

Hodgson will be better than Wellwood, but will he ever live up to what he did in junior at the NHL level?

No . Wrong. Nada. Not a chance.

Ya his two first years in the NHL have been pretty bad eh :rolleyes:

First year, rookie of the month, calder contender, some clutch big goals in big games.

Second year, already a first line center, scores more goals than anyone on the canucks, including two art ross players, one 40 goal selke player , and a perennial 30ish goal scorer

kids a bust :picard:

I don't think you know what objective means.

Adding in the little :) icons do not make your argument any better.

Neither is taking something you dont like and spinning it to an extreme (hes a bust :picard: ) make any sense.

Quite often players cannot translate their junior game into the pro game. You know that.

Did you know Kyle Wellwood scored 43 points in 48 games for the Leafs playing with Sundin?

Did his dad , I mean agent, demand 5 or 6 million bucks?

I am glad he is no longer our problem. Let the Sabres worry about it now.

Ya his two first years in the NHL have been pretty bad eh :rolleyes:

First year, rookie of the month, calder contender, some clutch big goals in big games.

Second year, already a first line center, scores more goals than anyone on the canucks, including two art ross players, one 40 goal selke player , and a perennial 30ish goal scorer

kids a bust :picard:

I don't think you know what objective means.

Interesting. I had not previously entertained that possibility. Does anyone else see Hodgson's situation as being somewhat comparable to that of Kyle Turris when he became an RFA with Phoenix (and was eventually moved to Ottawa)? Turris sat out the first couple of months before he signed for an amount (two year, $2.8 million) somewhat less than what was his reported asking price (don't recall the exact figure). If I recall correctly, supposedly the holdout was never about money and had everything to do with Turris wanting to be traded. He's currently on the first year of a 5 year, $3.5 million per contract with the Senators. Maybe Hodgson does want to be traded. He sits out for a bit, to make his point that he does want to be moved, agrees to a relatively decent bridge contract (shorter term for him, good cap hit for the team), which will allow the Sabres to move him later this year for picks and/or prospects. The Coyotes got "only" David Rundblad and a 2nd(?) for Turris. What would Hodgson be worth? And if we continue the comparison, the trade would be to a team which is on the way up, who could use improvement at center, and has a good prospect in an area where that team is already fairly strong but where the Sabres are lacking. regards, G.

Not a very objective summary.

Want objective?

He was very good, and sometimes GREAT in Junior.

Since then? Not so much.

Why? Too slow, not enough physical strength. Kyle Wellwood also scored in junior . Not so much in the NHL.

Hodgson will be better than Wellwood, but will he ever live up to what he did in junior at the NHL level?

No . Wrong. Nada. Not a chance.

Get the feeling he doesn't want to be in Buffalo-never wanted to be there, to begin with. Probably just using cash as a pretext. If I were Regier, I'd send him to Winn or Calgary. Could they get a 2014 first rounder for him, I wonder? (That is, from a team not expected to contend, top-15 pick overall)

Hodgson needs to be more like Couture, and less like Turris.

Couture is a solid 2-way player now (wasn't always the case).

Couture kept his head down and just went about his business. He performed too well, that he couldn't be kept out of the top-6.

He signed a reasonable bridge contract for his age, continued to put up more numbers and finally got a hefty pay day.

(30/5years I believe)

Kyle Turris on the other hand...(RFA holdout, then a trade. Rundblad and 2nd).

All things considered Hodgson for Kassian is an okay trade.

(when people say they expected more for Hodgson, perhaps they can be more specific with what the "more" should have been. at most a mid to low pick on top)

Look, I'm neither here nor there on Cody, but the guy has skill. I also do not blame him for wanting to secure a longer term contract. The Sabres are an absolute train wreck right now, showing no promise to be a contender in the next 5 years. Also, the team has drafted 2 other centers in Girgensons and Grigorenko, both in the first round and both in the same draft year. If I were Cody, I would want some assurance from the team that I am playing for that they have plans for me on the top 2 lines. And since the team is poised to be a bottom dweller, his stats won't be as good as they would be if he were surrounded by a better supporting cast. He's only doing what all of us would do in his situation.

Look, I'm neither here nor there on Cody, but the guy has skill. I also do not blame him for wanting to secure a longer term contract. The Sabres are an absolute train wreck right now, showing no promise to be a contender in the next 5 years. Also, the team has drafted 2 other centers in Girgensons and Grigorenko, both in the first round and both in the same draft year. If I were Cody, I would want some assurance from the team that I am playing for that they have plans for me on the top 2 lines. And since the team is poised to be a bottom dweller, his stats won't be as good as they would be if he were surrounded by a better supporting cast. He's only doing what all of us would do in his situation.

The real question here is how much say in it does Hodgson really have?

Having the other two centres drafted makes Hodgson less required, especially if they are rebuilding and giving time for these players to develop. If I were him I would be concentrating on my overall game and make sure I am desired in the NHL. Good players give teams a reason to keep them. If Hodgson only relies on offence while being a defensive liability and two more centres come up that can prove they're better defensively while still being able to score, Cody's going to have a tougher time maintaining a good relationship with any club in the long run.

Archived