The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article, Globe And Mail.) Canucks GM to blame for Roberto Luongo soap opera.....Luongos former agent speaks

naslund.is.king

Perhaps you have forgotten Gillis and the gang say "Cory is our number 1," and that "we want to do a fair deal for Luongo so he can play and be happy," or perhaps once the plans changed he could have at least checked in with Luongo FIRST? "Hey Roberto, despite us telling you we are trading you, we now want you to come back and play, are you in the right head space?" No matter if we agree how Luongo has handled his stuff has been good or not, Gillis forgot the number 1 rule; "There is no I in team."

Lupien has tried to hopelessly oversimplify matters:

Factors:

1) Luongo suggests he will waive his NTC - endless speculation about what that means ensues. Speaking as if it were a secret that the Canucks would deal a goaltender is nonsense - the writing was on the wall, and it was due to the Canucks developing another premier starter and no fault of Gillis'.

2) CBA changes - cap drops + backdiving punishment

3) Primary suitor (Toronto) negotiating through their slanted media.

4) Schneider continued to outplay Luongo.

5) The goaltending market and what teams were willing and able to pay is as fundamental as anything. Florida (Luo's apparent preference) had a couple goaltenders, were decimated by injury and not necessarily in any hurry to upgrade, and a lockout probably didn't help their financial ability to deal. Philly had serious cap issues. The Islanders had a buyout candidate to deal with. The Leafs were riding gaping contradictions and expecting goaltender welfare from Vancouver.

6) etc.

The context is rarely as simple as these attempts to one-line an explanation.

I am paraphrasing a bit sure, however I don't think they are out of context.Mistreatment maybe the wrong word, however in terms of building a team you should keep some team members in the loop of what you are doing. Sure, MG has the final say on things, however he told Luongo he was going to trade him, however did not tell him he changed his mind and wants him back as the number 1. I don't get how those two perspectives work in team building? Plus I said in another thread that my understanding of goaltending is that it is not just about how skilled the goalie is, however a big part of it is being psychologically present and aware. I hope Luongo is mentally present otherwise as a team we are in big trouble this upcoming season.

If I'm getting paid millions of dollars to play a game they can mistreat me as much as they like. People are jerked around way more by their bosses while getting payed way less doing jobs that actually help make the world go round.

Seriously if any of this supposition is true, and that's all it is so far until Luongo comes out and makes an actual statement, then Luongo can take a flying leap. Being offended over something so miniscule and holding a grudge for this long, makes you look extremely childish.

As for those liking what this tool Lupien had to say I suggest you listen to what was said on the Team 1040 this am. They ripped that guy good. They were hoping to get him on the air, I hope they did would like to hear what his answers were to their questions.

Funny how people who are bashing Mike Gillis for signing Luongo to that contract were probably the same ones, along with everyone else, who was praising Mike Gillis for keeping him here in Vancouver. And no, I don't think Luongo would have stayed if MG had offered only a 5 or 6 year deal. He would have packed his bags and headed elesewhere. Remember guys what kind of team Vancouver was when Luongo got here? Not too much going for it other than the Sedins.

You got a point, but seriously, it's not even about you being a safe driver anymore, it's about being able to stay safe from the other really bad, or unsafe drivers.

I've seen people switch lanes without looking, turning left from the right lane, backing out without looking, it's ridiculous.

Im also sure im a better driver than this mbal guy. Clean record with not a single ticket.

I never speed and always signal. It boils my blood when someone comes into my lane w.o signaling. I drive a prius... I can't speed even if I wanted to! It would demolish my eco score :P

What's this? An agent blaming a GM for a failed trade?

Say it ain't so...

Personally, I doubt that Gillis "promised" Luongo that he would trade him. I'm sure he promised to try, but being unable to reach an acceptable deal is not the same as reneging on an agreement. Sure, he could have given Lou away to any number of teams, or paid him to play someplace else, but that would benefit everyone involved, except the Canucks.

As far as this stuff about Lou being treated "unfairly", as Mak said, this is a results driven business and the fact is, Cory was producing consistently better results and that's why he bumped Lou from the #1 spot.

Didn't we ask for scrivens and a 2nd at the deadline? We basically couldn't give him away.

We got highly touted Bo Horvat for Schneider and now the Canucks are better off.

Luongo Horvat > Schneider scrivens 2nd

What in the hell is all this about?!

When the contract was inked Luongo WAS #1 and a franchise player. What all-star caliber players sign contracts with the mindset of, "Gee, I better only sign short term and for bottom dollar because I shouldn't carry expectation into the future. Don't pay me too much, I'm not too high on myself as it is and you wouldn't want to get burned if I have a few bad seasons."

Jesus Christ man, even the Dale Weises of the world don't act like that...

Yes it's Mike's fault. Luongo's monster contract (12 years, $64 million, NTC) implied that he was going be with the Canucks long term and that was definitely a mutual understanding between Lu and management. That's "Face of the franchise" stuff right there.

Yes it's Mike's fault, he was a greedy little piglet who got tunnel vision (he goes full metal butter fingers around hot up and coming talent) and decided it would be a good idea to bottom out Lu's value before trying to trade him.

What in the hell is all this about?!  

When the contract was inked Luongo WAS #1 and a franchise player. What all-star caliber players sign contracts with the mindset of, "Gee, I better only sign short term and for bottom dollar because I shouldn't carry expectation into the future. Don't pay me too much, I'm not too high on myself as it is and you wouldn't want to get burned if I have a few bad seasons."

Jesus Christ man, even the Dale Weises of the world don't act like that...

Umm. The point of what he said is that just because he got the long term deal doesn't guarantee that he will stay the starter if he's being outplayed and the truth is Schneider had better GAA and S% over the last 5 years than ANYONE in the league.(look it up yourself). The agent got him that deal and you have to be mad to deny it, GL knew they had leverage since Schneider wasn't ready then and got the max he could have gotten for Lu and MG and LG took the deal because we were at a point where we we looking to fight for the cup.

Makavelli made two main points:

#1 "You don't sign contracts with the expectation of being #1 and ignoring what happens on the ice."

#2 Lu and his agent are also at fault for this trade fiasco.

I understand his points just fine but I am saying his points + reality = nonsense.

I'm not saying Luongo was entitled to remain #1 no matter how he performed, or in light of what up and coming talent MG had at his disposal.

What I am saying is players are not at fault if they don't work into their contract an eject button for the GM. Players are entitled to writing up long term contracts for whatever amount the market wants to pay.

It's a laugh that so many people are quick to quip, "It's a business, it's a business!" at so many shrewd moves made by other players and other teams BUT when Lu locks up long term stability he's at fault.

Archived